Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2003 10:47:22 AM EDT
I'm looking to get one of these two from Vang but cannot find any info on Remington's LE site on the Magnum. Would someone please be kind enough to tell me what the difference(s) is/are between these two.

TIA
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a little confused too because all new 870's are chambered for 3" mags. The 870 Super mag is chambered for 3 1/2" Mag. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 12:58:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Remington likes to put "Police" on stuff to make people feel speeshul. Its kinda like with their LE Top Folding buttstocks, that ANYONE can buy. Also the PSS 700's are the same story.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Remington likes to put "Police" on stuff to make people feel speeshul. Its kinda like with their LE Top Folding buttstocks, that ANYONE can buy. Also the PSS 700's are the same story.

So you're saying there's no difference between them then? I understand about the whole special "Police" thing. I was over at Vang's site and their 870 Express and the Police Magnum are almost the exact same price.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I may be mistaken but I thought the "police" version of the 870 is supposed to have the metal trigger assembly w/o the stupid locking safety button.  Also the magazine tube readily accepts extensions.  The Express model has dimples in the magazine tube to prevent just screwing an extension on to it.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:03:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Police gun has:
A parkerized finish on better polished and deburred metal than the Express, rougher black finish.

No "dimples" in the mag tube, it uses the older magazine assembly.

No lockable safety button.

A heavy-duty magazine spring.

A heavier sear/trigger spring.

Walnut or synthetic stock.

Police-type short fore end grip.

A better finish inside the barrel.

Improved Cylinder choke for better slug and buckshot patterns.

An aluminum trigger group.

Link Posted: 5/27/2003 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Faris is right, those are the differences.

I'm not sure that these differences are enough to warrant paying the price difference between a 870 Express HD and a 870 Police.

When I was at Scattergun, we built a whole lot more Expresses into riot configuration than we did Police models. Why? The differences are not a factor when you trick out a shotgun. You just need a solid platform to start with.

We replaced the stocks with fiberglass stocks.
We used our own springs.
We removed the detents in the mag tubes.
Granted, this was before the safety lock, but we used the plastic trigger housing with no negative response.

At the time (4 years ago), a Police Magnum was $200 higher than a Express. Almost double. I'm sure that's still the case.

I encourage my customers to look for police trade in 870s. The last one I built up, the guy paid $150 for the base gun. I am starting on a 1100 now that the owner paid $275 for on Gunbroker.com. When he gets it back, it will be as new.

Save some money and buy a used 870 Wingmaster with a plain barrel. Put the money you save toward a conversion.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the detailed info. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Well, if I'm going to get a shotgun from Vang, the price for a Police or Express is going to be about the same so I might as well get the Police since it will be slightly better (AFAIK, Vang doesn't replace the trigger on their Express models). I may even just end up sending him my Mossberg 500 assuming they can use that as a base which I think they could considering they sell Mossberg 590A1's.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Well ok I have my Express Magnum here in my lap.

1) Its park finish is just as good as any I have ever seen on a Remington. "And I have done parkerizing professionally"

2) Mag extension goes right on, no dimples on my gun.

3) Yes the trigger group is plastic, but I have yet to see one of these broken or worn out.

4)My magazine spring works just fine. Same goes my sear/trigger spring.

5) The forend really doesnt matter as I put Surefire forends on my 870's.

Go with what Hadaway said, and just buy an express and build it up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The major improvements with the police model are found in the level of polishing and fitting they recieve.  Police models are smoother out of the box, and to be blunt, the bore of the Express models SUCKS.  Mine looks like it was dug by a gopher.  Not anything that couldnt be fixed with a hone from Brownells and a power drill.  I prefer the Police model for its higher quality, but an Express can be modified into a very nice defensive shotgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top