Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2003 9:47:44 PM EDT
I just picked up a Winchester Defender today at the gun show. I have been looking for a cheap beater 12 GA, and this one fit the bill - no paperwork, looks to be in very good condition. Wood-stocked 18.5" barrel with mag tube extension.

My question is, the barrel says 2-3/4" and 3" - does this mean the shotgun can handle magnum shells? Is a 3" shell a magnum shell?

It doesn't say "Magnum" anywhere on the gun like on the Remington 870 12 GA.

BTW, where to get slings? Or should I even get slings?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Your model 1300 should be fine with magnum shells. I dont have to much information on the 1300s but you can download an owners manual from winchesters web site the address is
www.winchester-guns.com/manuals/model1300_manual.pdf
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 7:14:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Cut, There are two sizes of magnum shotshells in 12 gauge, 3" and 3 1/2". Your gun uses the 3" mag shells. Remington uses the term super magnum for guns that use 3 1/2" shells. MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/18/2003 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the response!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine eats any 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells i feed it.

WARNING>>>> The defender as like all 1300's have some kind of winchester speed type bolts. Shells loaded hot will eject themselves and push the forearm back. The weapon is designed to do this, but it does take some getting used to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top