Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2003 6:25:01 PM EDT
What length and type of barrel would be used for skeet shooting in a 12 ga.?
Is there one certain length and would you or could you use something with an adjustable
choke? What is the "normal" choke for skeet?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything from 26" - 30" can be used for skeet.  There is an actual choke tube for most guns called "Skeet".....Improved Cylinder will also work nicely.

Ed
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:22:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe a "Skeet" tube would probably be considered the 'normal', if there is such a thing. I've always used Cylinder and Imp Cylinder with equal success(several 25 straights). Skeet shooting is fairly close-up when compared to other clay sports. No need to over choke when starting out, and it's hard to be under.

Also, I don't consider myself a 'Skeet shooter', just someone that 'shoots skeet' when I feel like a little change of pace. I'm not really qualified to give advice on the sport, but have shot a few dozen rounds in the last couple years.

Barrel-length will always be a personal choice, I think. My brother uses a 24" on Skeet and Sporting Clays because he's more comfortable with that length. I've always used 28 inchers for everything(Sk, SC, & Trap).

Barrel Type? You will find most sport shooters use a ventilated-rib barrel. Skeet and Sporting Clay ribs are usually low to medium height, while many Trap shooters use higher elevated ribs. I've tried skeet with a bead-sighted barrel before and can't hit a damn thing, even though I grew up on bead sighted shotguns. This doesn't include ventilated-ribbed barrels with a bead. I'm talking about bead-alone barrels.  

As a little side note-
I was out on DPMS's range last week where I shoot trap league(I'm on the Panther Arms team). From a distance, I watched a shooter doing very well on the skeet range, knocking everything out of the air. One of the workers walked up to me and said, "Not bad for an 87-year-old using a .410, is he?" The shotgun was an over-under with about 26" barrels. Not sure about the make/model.

That last pragraph just shows that even a .410 will do the job. A 12-guage just makes it that much easier. Barrel-length and gauge aren't really as important as stock-fit and swinging capabilities. Those Skeet targets look like they're doing Mach 1 the first few rounds. No matter what choke you use, it seems like you either miss big or hit. A barrel that swings good in YOUR hands will be the greatest aid in breaking clay.

The adjustable choke assembley mentioned above will add a few extra ounces to the end of your barrel. This can be either good weight or bad weight, and will change the gun's balance. Also, the only style I've seen has used multiple pedals of steel to constrict the end. I wonder if these overlaps might cause wad/shot disruption???...though, I have no personal experience with them. I guess I'm just happy with hassle-free, one-piece tubes.

I hope this helped some. It's all I know about the subjuct of Skeet, which isn't much. Good Luck

Link Posted: 5/10/2003 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a 26" fixed skeet choke barrel, low wide ventilated rib with two target beads... white bead at the end of the barrel and a brass mid-bead. Remington 1100. Works for me. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Blazer, 26" was the norm for many years. But with the advent of sporting clays where longer barrels, 28" and 30" are used some started using their sporting guns with the longer barrels for skeet. This year when Remington reintroduced the 1100 in a dedicated skeet gun they chose a 26" barrel. As for the choke,"skeet" is the one to use but you can get by with improved cylinder if that's all you have. Stay with the screw in chokes if you can, the adjustable chokes like the Poly-Choke from Marble is a little bulky. I put one on a 28 gauge pump for my kids and later replaced the barrel. When you first start out most people do better with Trap than Skeet but for my money Skeet is much more fun. Those trap guys are very serious. Skeet is shot with 12 gauge, 20 gauge, 28 gauge and .410 bore. The smaller gauges are fun and very challenging. Enjoy, MIKE.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 5:30:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Guys, very helpful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top