Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2003 2:50:23 AM EDT
I know a SPAS-12 can be modified to be like this, but are there any others?
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 2:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Erm, pistol grip shotguns (edit for clarity SEMI AUTOS, non semis are a critter of a different stripe)  fall within the 'Assault Weapon' Ban bullshit.

If they dont have over a 5 round tube they can have a 'pistol grip' as their 'evil feature'.

Here is the 'AWB definition:

D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of-
         (i) a folding or telescoping stock;
         (ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath
         the action of the weapon;
         (iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds;
         and
         (iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

One other thing if it 'accepts a detachable magazine' of 10 rounds (?) or more, it has probably been redefined as a 'destructive device' all NFA rules then apply.
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know a SPAS-12 can be modified to be like this, but are there any others?

Do you mean pistol grip *only*, or a pistol grip/shoulder stock?  Any semi should be able to mount a pistol gripped "assault" stock but most semi's have the recoil spring housed in the buttstock so the pistol grip only is a no go.  The Mossberg M5500/9200 has the recoil spring around the mag tube so it is possible to shorten it up with a pistol grip.  Still not a good idea because the Mossberg top mounted safety becomes real awkward & slow to use with a pistol grip.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 1:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I mean just a pistol grip, no stock.

Link Posted: 4/29/2003 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Doesn't Benelli have an M3S90 with a folding stock? This would be similar to the SPAS with the hook. I half remember seeing a Remington 11-87P with a pistol-grip-only at a local LE supply shop. This was a few years back. I haven't seen it anywhere else, however.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Most semi-auto shotguns have a bolt spring tube that extends almost the full length of the buttstock. Thats why you usually don't see just a pistol grip on a semi-auto.

Thanks,
Lee
www.thearmsroom.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top