Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/1/2002 8:57:07 AM EDT
I need a shotgun for some upland bird hunting and to shoot up the occasional clay pigeon. Money is a big factor. Since this would probably be a few months before i purchase, i would have to save up for it. What are my options under $1k, under $1200 and under $1500? ALso is a 12 guage too big for pheasants,quail,grouse or is it ok with shorter shells?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:14:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:45:04 AM EDT
For trapshooting a pump or single shot will do just fine, but for sporting clays and skeetshooting an over/under or an autoloader is a big advantage to break them doubles. I use a Remington 1100 for field and skeet shooting, swapping between a 26" skeet choke target bead barrel and a 28" vent rib mod choke barrel.

The Beretta 390 and Browning Citori G_F mentioned are excellent choices too.

I don't think a 12 ga. is too big for any upland bird hunting. Dove are unbelievably tough little critters, and with a 12 ga you get a few more pellets and slightly higher velocity than a 20 ga. But I know guys who use a 20 ga with good success. I know an older gentleman who uses a .410 for dove hunting, but he's an excellent wingshooter. But the downside is that he can only pick close in shots, whereas I can reach out some distance with a 12 ga.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:51:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
For trapshooting a pump or single shot will do just fine, but for sporting clays and skeetshooting an over/under or an autoloader is a big advantage to break them doubles. I use a Remington 1100 for field and skeet shooting, swapping between a 26" skeet choke target bead barrel and a 28" vent rib mod choke barrel.

The Beretta 390 and Browning Citori G_F mentioned are excellent choices too.

I don't think a 12 ga. is too big for any upland bird hunting. Dove are unbelievably tough little critters, and with a 12 ga you get a few more pellets and slightly higher velocity than a 20 ga. But I know guys who use a 20 ga with good success. I know an older gentleman who uses a .410 for dove hunting, but he's an excellent wingshooter. But the downside is that he can only pick close in shots, whereas I can reach out some distance with a 12 ga.

I forgot to mention I was looking for an over an under and not a semi like the 1100 or a pump like the 870
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:15:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:30:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Green_Furniture:
You can't go wrong with the Browning Citori or Ruger Red Label. I have about ten Citoris and not a single one have ever let me down in about ten years.

How much is a citori going to run? Are the chokes able to be removed and changed? Does it come with all the chokes available for it? Choke remover tool?
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 11:32:49 AM EDT
The Citoris are great - One can be had for around $1000 if you look around. They gor for about $1200 new. I also have a Winchester 101 O/U that I love too. Someday im going to buy a Ruger Red Label.
Link Posted: 9/1/2002 9:57:07 PM EDT
Top Top