Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 7/23/2017 12:42:17 PM EDT
Took my brand new 509 out for the first time this morning.

Loaded up the mags, racked a round, and pulled the trigger. Click...no bang

Ejected the round and looked at the primer.  Not a mark on it.  Tried the next two rounds hoping I may have had a primer seated too deeply.  Same result.

Got home and tried the pencil test.  Pencil didn't move. Stripped the slide off the frame, depressed the safety plunger to ensure the striker could move freely, and pushed the striker forward as far as possible. Looked at the breachface and there was no protrusion of the striker.

Going to call FN, and send it back for repair.

Update:  just got the gun back from FN.  A little over two weeks round trip. Looks fixed and I'll take it out this weekend.

Update 2:  shot it today with a friend. Put 100+ rounds of range reloads through it. It did great. My friend, who is a novice shooter, had a single FTRB. I didn't have any problems. I think my friends issue was grip induced and not a failure of the gun.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine comes in Mon. You're not giving me the warm and fuzzies right now!
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#2]
pop off the slide plate and inspect the striker.  Not hard
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
So FN asked me to send the gun back. They are sending me a shipping label. Will keep this thread updated.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Pop off the slide back plate and inspect the striker.  Please.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I wanted to like this gun and purchase one.
But FN won't release the factory night site models to the public with three mags.
Holster avaliblity seems to be not much out there.
Mixed reviews on the guns performance.

So I'm going to sit back and watch this gun from the side lines. If FN decides to make a FNX 9 Tactical or
Something that's cool to the general public then I may look at their products again, but for now no way on the 509
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But FN won't release the factory night site models to the public with three mags.

So I'm going to sit back and watch this gun from the side lines. If FN decides to make a FNX 9 Tactical or
Something that's cool to the general public then I may look at their products again, but for now no way on the 509
View Quote
Umm....I just bought one from DSG Arms.

FN 509 - Night Sights 3 Mags
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 12:45:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I feel the exact opposite about the LE model. It costs more, but has one extra mag, and night sights. The thing is with the mag promo you'd end up with +3 mags anyway, and it takes standard sig sights. I like to fine tune my POI anyway, and usually factory sights hit a bit higher or lower than I prefer. I opted for the standard model, and will likely get Sig X-Ray sights of an appropriate height once I take it to the range and see where the stock sights print.

As for the 509 itself there are a few things I don't like. The trigger takeup is a bit...crunchy? But the break is smooth and crisp if a bit heavy. I expect it to improve with firing, and more with the forthcoming Apex kit. I don't care for the mag release, it needs to be hit firmly and squarely to drop, I find myself having to adjust my grip to hit it a bit better with my thumb. Overall I do like it though and feel it is a good buy especially with the mag promo. I'm glad I picked mine up.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The issue with the mag release is do to the design. The nipple on the mag release sits in a ledge on the front of the mag. My mags did not have the ledge level. I was actually fighting gravity and pushing the mag higher into the gun when trying to drop a mag using my right thumb. Releasing as a lefty was very easy.

I took a small file and leveled the ledge on my magsand beveled it slightly. Improved mag release a million times over.

Would have much preferred a reversible release to a full time ambi.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 3:17:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I am interested in getting a 509 to join my FNS-9c but I have a habit of waiting a year or two before buying something that just came out. In my mind everything new gets improvements or bugs worked after the first few years. Wether it's guns, cars, gaming systems, etc
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Just got the gun back from FN. No paperwork to say what was done, but on the phone FN told me they had to replace the striker, striker spring, and one other part. It passes the pencil test now, so it looks fixed to me. They did put in an extra mag, which is nice. Overall it seems like a good customer service experience.

Really looking forward to finally getting to shoot it for the first time.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top