Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 2/25/2017 2:10:44 PM EDT
Just picked up my brand new pistol from my FFL. A quick once-over in-store and the gun appeared fine and in new condition. I didn't fiddle with the display magnet affixed to the slide that reads "FNH USA" because I thought it was a sticker. When I got home and peeled it off, there were rust spots and discoloration to the FDE finish - all limited to the area that the magnet was covering. I'll be calling FN America on Monday morning because this IS effin' America

I'm sure they'll make it right, but super lame...

Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:21:07 PM EDT
[#1]
display magnet?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
display magnet?
View Quote

Updated with additional pic.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Given that these are FDE cerakote is it possible the rust is from the magnet and the slide itself is fine? Have you tried just wiping it off?

If not, send it back to FN and make them fix it. Unacceptable on a new firearm.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's a pic of the slide's current state - after rubbing it pretty aggressively with Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner and a micro-fiber towel. Lots of micro spots throughout - they simply would not rub out. Also, the finish on the left of the slide looks more like a gold anodize after I messed with it.

Update: Spoke with Cindy in customer service this morning and she recalls hearing of issues stemming from the magnets on the slides of other new FN handguns. She asked me to email pictures and my info and will follow-up with the tech support team to ensure they jump on this right away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:22:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah it's definitely better, but still 100% unacceptable on a new $1000 MSRP handgun.  I'm sure FN will take care of you.

At least you get a free streamlight. I bought mine for my birthday and got jack.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The Streamlight promotion ended December 31st. I ordered my gun just about a week ago. So no go for me unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
That's a bummer, I thought it was going on longer than that. Once it gets sorted out you'll love this weapon. 15 rounds of .45 in a soft shooting package.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 1:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Yup, back in September had the same thing happen to me. However I was fortunate enough to take off the magnet while still at the gun shop. My dealer agreed that it was rust and promptly replaced it with a good one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I really wish I would've caught it in-store at the FFL. Incorrectly assumed all was well.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top