Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2017 1:33:59 AM EDT
Just ordered one. Long time Glock shooter. Never shot one, but wanted something different. Besides $50 mags what am I in for? Thanks in advance!

Edit: If anyone has one with a surefire x300 and or an XC1 on theirs please post a pic. I don't know which light I want to put on it yet.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 12:33:55 PM EDT
[#1]
In for this, thinking about getting one
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#2]
When I get mine in I'll do a review for you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just ordered one. Long time Glock shooter. Never shot one, but wanted something different. Besides $50 mags what am I in for? Thanks in advance!
View Quote

Well,  No stupid finger groves for one.  

Trigger is slightly lighter and crisper than a stock Glock trigger.  Natural point of aim is lower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been researching these and found that the FDE one only comes with two magazines while the black ones come with three.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 2:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Interested in one as well.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 5:19:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been researching these and found that the FDE one only comes with two magazines while the black ones come with three.
View Quote

I didn't know the others came with 3. I know the FDE comes with a 12 round with a pinky extension and a 17 round with a grip adapter. I intend on picking up a couple more of each........ at almost 50 bucks a piece.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 6:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Got one about a month ago. Real nice. So far I've put about 200 plus rounds through it with no problems. I made sure to use every different brand of ammo I had. (I DO NOT, and will not use Wolf, or any other aluminum cased ammo in anything I own).
 Win., Rem., PPU, PMC, and some Hornady and Sig defense loads all were fine. It seems to hit slightly low and to the left of point of aim. I'm going to try and tap the rear sight over a bit in hopes of fixing the windage. I'll have to adjust for the elevation myself. I do have a hell of a time loading the mags. My old hands don't work to well pushing those rounds in, but I do have one of those Uplula things, which helps a lot. All things considered, so far it's a nice, and nice looking gun.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I had one last year.  Why I don't anymore makes me weep so I'll spare the details.  Liked it a lot and it'll shoot anything.  I too would never shoot aluminum or shellacked ammo in any of my guns.

It ran flawlessly for over 1000 rounds before I traded it in.  And I rarely clean my pistols.  It carried very well in an IWB Clinger Stingray.  What I didn't like was having to pull the trigger to disassemble.  It was a chore sometimes.

And the shooting low\left seems to be very common with the 9c.  It's a cover-the-POI front sight so it's easy to shoot low if you're used to sighting your POI on top of the sight.
It's FN quality so you know it's well-made.  It was very solid and comfortable for me.  Quality...'nough said.  Expensive and barely any aftermarket, but well worth it if it fits your style.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 3:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked one up last Friday (all black), put a box or so of cast reloads through it yesterday, no issues with feeding or extraction. Great shooting gun, it falls between the 26 and 19 in size, seems lighter and thinner... I didn't weigh or measure it. Accuracy was excellent, although I wasn't really shooting for group size, just semi rapid fire for function.

Nice flared magwell, nice magazines (3), good traction on the grip. The one drawback I would say, is the mag release. It's tight to the frame and the ambi nature of it, hits your hand on the other side, making it difficult to drop the mag without regripping. I tried using the trigger finger to release the mag, that worked much better, with less hand movement.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 3:21:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I picked one up last Friday (all black), put a box or so of cast reloads through it yesterday, no issues with feeding or extraction. Great shooting gun, it falls between the 26 and 19 in size, seems lighter and thinner... I didn't weigh or measure it. Accuracy was excellent, although I wasn't really shooting for group size, just semi rapid fire for function.

Nice flared magwell, nice magazines (3), good traction on the grip. The one drawback I would say, is the mag release. It's tight to the frame and the ambi nature of it, hits your hand on the other side, making it difficult to drop the mag without regripping. I tried using the trigger finger to release the mag, that worked much better, with less hand movement.
View Quote

I swapped my full size FNS mag release with the compact and its much better. Now if only i can find spare parts so i can get another FNS mag release
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I swapped my full size FNS mag release with the compact and its much better. Now if only i can find spare parts so i can get another FNS mag release
View Quote

I've been looking, outta stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have the FDE, just the plain old black, but was going to say the same thing. Awesome gun but needs the same mag release as the full size. I was fortunate to buy mine when they were available to purchase at MGW.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine FINALLY came in today! I agree that mag release SUCKS. I'll have to look into switching it when parts are available. I don't have any rounds through it yet, but the trigger seems somewhat "gritty". Hopefully that goes away after I put some rounds through it. Also need to upgrade the sights. I talked with Trijicon and they said there should be no issues adding the HD sights to it as there's only like .4 inches of difference between the "full size" FNS and the compact.

Edit: Mine did not come with the traditional plastic box. It came in a cardboard box and what I would best describe as a soft/nylon "daily planner" type which held both mags and back straps and the gun itself. The instruction manual and gun lock were underneath that in the cardboard box. Kind of a neat/different way to store it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Disclaimer, I'm a raving fanboy.

The FNS-C is fantastic, the trigger is a great fighting pistol trigger and the take up and reset smooth out at around 3k trigger pulls. The break and reset are super, tactile, short and positive.

The sites are beefy and tall and the front post DOT is prominent.

Controls are perfectly placed, grip angle is conservative and universal, grip texture is AWESOME.

Truly Ambi.

Reliable, I put 2.5k round through my 4" and repeatedly and consistently whipped in around desert sand for months, only cleaning the barrel and lightly lubing rails.

Also, every single FNS slide can fit on any FNS frame - seriously last night I have my FNS-9L slide on my FNS-9C Frame, and I could have used my FNS-40L slide if I wanted too.

Edited to add: I have 7k rounds through my 4" 9, 3k rounds through my 5" 9 and 4k rounds through my 9c - I haven't had ANY problems.

Also one more pic for posterity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:22:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I personally think that the FNS-9 is one of the most underrated pistols out there.  It's about G19 size, good sights, ambi everything, manual safety option, great texture, etc.

I have a standard, and while I didn't like the trigger pull initially, I got bored one day, detail stripped it, and stoned the contact spots.  MUUUUCH better now.  Easily as good as a Glock trigger.  I do wish that the trigger had a blade safety instead of being hinged, but oh well.  

It's a very solidly made gun, and I picked up 3 more mags from Western Sport (I think) when they were on sale for $30 or something.  I've got six total now, and they're of very high quality.  Carbon Arms makes a +6 extension.  I kinda want one, but they cost as much as a magazine.

I do wish three things:
1.  That I had the longslide version.  The regular just looks dopey with a weapon-mounted light on it.  I'd also like the longer sight radius.  Plus, my Safariland ALS holster is made for the longslide, but it still does work with the standard.
2.  I actually want a manual safety, and I've been debating about trying to install one.  I'd only lock it on safe when I'm in the act of holstering, then click it back off in the holster, similar to how some folks use the M&P Shield safety.
3.  I want a threaded barrel.  But I don't want to spend a lot.  That's more of a bitch than a wish.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 7:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I went shooting for my bday yesterday and was able to put a box of ammo through mine. Man what a great gun! The recoil was a lot less than I expected, and the gun didn't seem to shift at all during recoil. A couple of newbies shot it too and did very well with it. Can't wait to actually be able to see what it can do. Definitely needs better sights (my personal preference) and the trigger will take some getting used to and hopefully break in a bit. Overall, from what little I was able to shoot it I'm impressed!
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I was at my parent's house yesterday and my dad showed me the FSN 9 he just picked up for $100.  I was very impressed with it and began contemplating cheating on my G19.    I didn't even know FN was making a striker fired, polymer pistol.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn't even know you could get these in FDE. That's awesome. I just ordered one.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was at my parent's house yesterday and my dad showed me the FSN 9 he just picked up for $100.  I was very impressed with it and began contemplating cheating on my G19.    I didn't even know FN was making a striker fired, polymer pistol.  
View Quote

Glock's are one of the very first firearms I ever shot. The day I turned 21 I bought one and have been carrying it ever since (10 years) I find it very hard to shoot/carry anything else. I will always carry that gun, but this FN is awesome, and once I get some more trigger time behind it, I'll have no issue carrying it too.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't even know you could get these in FDE. That's awesome. I just ordered one.
View Quote

I think they came out in November. There wasn't much press for it. I just happened to find it on their website one day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I personally think that the FNS-9 is one of the most underrated pistols out there.  It's about G19 size, good sights, ambi everything, manual safety option, great texture, etc.

I have a standard, and while I didn't like the trigger pull initially, I got bored one day, detail stripped it, and stoned the contact spots.  MUUUUCH better now.  Easily as good as a Glock trigger.  I do wish that the trigger had a blade safety instead of being hinged, but oh well.  

It's a very solidly made gun, and I picked up 3 more mags from Western Sport (I think) when they were on sale for $30 or something.  I've got six total now, and they're of very high quality.  Carbon Arms makes a +6 extension.  I kinda want one, but they cost as much as a magazine.

I do wish three things:
1.  That I had the longslide version.  The regular just looks dopey with a weapon-mounted light on it.  I'd also like the longer sight radius.  Plus, my Safariland ALS holster is made for the longslide, but it still does work with the standard.
2.  I actually want a manual safety, and I've been debating about trying to install one.  I'd only lock it on safe when I'm in the act of holstering, then click it back off in the holster, similar to how some folks use the M&P Shield safety.
3.  I want a threaded barrel.  But I don't want to spend a lot.  That's more of a bitch than a wish.
View Quote

So I wanted an even better trigger, and since I was bored today, I investigated how the striker assembly moved in the channel.  My firing pin channel was full of tool marks.  I used some 600 grit emery paper (should have started with 400), and cleaned up the channel.  It removed a lot of the gritty feeling in the first half of the trigger pull, which I always thought was due to the polymer frame and trigger interface.  It almost feels like a two stage now, a sweep back, then a wall where it breaks.

Still looking for a longslide to swap with me.  Mine even has night sights.  And the firing pin channel is clean!
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top