AR "pistol stabilizing brace"
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#1]
How do you set it down in a hurry?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:05:31 AM EDT
[#2]
You are missing the point...

Look closely at the pictures of it.

It is a de-facto shoulder stock. ATF legal to boot!
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:25:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I already hate this as much as the slide fire. Also who the hell would want to shoot it like that?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mo4040:

I don't see how you can shoulder it if used as intended. I suppose you could not fasten it to your forearm and shoulde it like you would the buffer tube.

Meh, a $200 stamp and 6-month wait to have a fully functioning AR stock is a better option to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cmcflex:

I don't see how you can shoulder it if used as intended. I suppose you could not fasten it to your forearm and shoulde it like you would the buffer tube.

Meh, a $200 stamp and 6-month wait to have a fully functioning AR stock is a better option to me.

So did the guy on here get it patented and licensed or did Sig just steal his idea right out from under him?
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Finslayer83] [#6]
All I see is a way to have a stock without having a stock.

$200 would  be better spent on a stamp where you could get a better stock.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:45:19 AM EDT
[#7]
To me it seems like all the look of an SBR with none of the function.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Didn't miss he point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:04:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Need one on each arm.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

So did the guy on here get it patented and licensed or did Sig just steal his idea right out from under him?

This.

I'm hoping from the "Veteran Designed" copy that it implies that he did receive credit and is in fact receiving compensation for it.  

Don't know that I have any use or care for it - but I'd hate to see his idea stolen out from under him like that nevertheless.

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 1:04:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#12]
Originally Posted By Eric802:
I love my AR's but I'm pretty sure I don't want one strapped to my forearm.  

Unless it's some kind of bionic limb replacement thing.  That'd be badass.

It's only a matter of time...

"Is that a transferrable, or are you just happy to see me?"

~Augee
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]

These attempts, legit or not, to circumvent the intention of the law always make me nervous.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd rather spend the $200 on a stamp and have a "real" fully functioning SBR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:

In some places, no matter how much you have available to spend, an SBR will not be in the cards, either by local prohibitions, signoff issues, laws, or other BS.

A pistol, however, is still legal.  It also is legal as a 'pistol' under conceal carry laws.

there are some very valid reasons for 'pistol' ARs.

I own an SBR and an M16.  I don't own a pistol AR.

But, that does not mean that they do not have a place in the gun world.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:09:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:
Need one on each arm.

I like it!
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:

In some places, no matter how much you have available to spend, an SBR will not be in the cards, either by local prohibitions, signoff issues, laws, or other BS.

A pistol, however, is still legal.  It also is legal as a 'pistol' under conceal carry laws.

TRG

Washington State for one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2013 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#18]

TRG

I forgot about all the BS laws in some states. I should have said that if it's legal that I would rather go the SBR route.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#19]
at least this way I can carry an AR15 pistol as my CCW. Maybe not on me but in a back pack
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 2:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#20]
Hmmmm...... I just don't know.

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
I know what I'm getting on my next purchase.
Link Posted: 5/24/2013 12:17:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Just get a PLR-16, SIG, or any other AR-type pistol that doesnt have a tube and then put the shoulder strap and you're good-to-go.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Man I want one really bad! But I don't think I will be able to get my hands on one for a while. They seem hard to find.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 9:52:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I looked at what they want to get a stamp and I do not qualify because of the medication I am on due to a spinal injury. So this seems like a good idea to me. It's something I would try and see if it does work as a stock before I used it, if it did not I would just sell it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2013 12:59:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Looking closely to your information
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By davidclark:
Looking closely to your information
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#27]
For example, in Illinois, we can now own SBRs, but we need to have a C&R which means no Trust. So something like this may be a valid option in this non free state. The real issue is you will still be arrested and issued a felony citation then have to hire a lawyer and $5000 to have them explain the law to the DA as they do not understand Illinois law. So, in the end, it may be better to not test the law.
Link Posted: 9/18/2013 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought this was cool until I saw the $140 price tag. Honestly if you're already 3/4 of the way to $200 you might as well just do an SBR. (Unless you live in a crappy state.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By emk:

I thought this was cool until I saw the $140 price tag
. Honestly if you're already 3/4 of the way to $200 you might as well just do an SBR. (Unless you live in a crappy state.)
View Quote
Yeah, but think of all the fun you could have during your 6-12 month BAFTE wait. Think of it as a $140 place holder. Once you get your stamp, you can move the brace over to a new project. All said, I think it is a fair price considering the pistol buffer buffer tube/foam cover/walking stick end cap/CAA check weld device/QD mount buffer tube cover kit alternatives.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:02:54 AM EDT
[#30]
it looks interesting.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]

These attempts, legit or not, to circumvent the intention of the law always make me nervous.

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

TRG

I agree with TRG. the attempt to circumvent the intention of the law makes me nervous.  By this I am of course referring to the fact that the government couldn't outright ban certain items due to the 2nd amendment so they came up with the whole tax scheme and registry nonsense.

I don't think Sig or whoever should feel bad at all about breaking the spirit of the law while maintaining the letter, not when the Feds have been doing that for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 9:42:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Just saw one in 308 at a local firing range. I questioned how this is not a SBR. Was told the stock is what makes it a pistol. $1999.00 for the 308. So can we build one and buy/use this stock and get away with calling it a pistol?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:23:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Just saw one in 308 at a local firing range. I questioned how this is not a SBR. Was told the stock is what makes it a pistol. $1999.00 for the 308. So can we build one and buy/use this stock and get away with calling it a pistol?
View Quote

It's not a stock, it's a pistol stabilizing brace.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered an AR pistol with one of these today.  Although the performance of the stabilizer isn't quite as steady as a proper stock, it is very shootable.  The advantages of it being a handgun are that you can carry it on your person or loaded in a car under CCW laws, which are favorable to rifle laws.
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 4:49:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Welcome to 2015.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/666122_OPEN_LETTER_ON_THE_REDESIGN_OF__STABILIZING_BRACES_.html
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AASG:
Welcome to 2015.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_122/666122_OPEN_LETTER_ON_THE_REDESIGN_OF__STABILIZING_BRACES_.html
View Quote

Well as long as you use it as intended you are legal to posses and use it as such...what you do after dark by yourself is up to you.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#38]
The ATF has officially lost touch with what little reality they were clinging to. I'm pretty sure that no one at the ATF has ever shot a gun. Matter of fact, I'm pretty sure that's one of the job requirements.

While I suppose I'm glad that they did approve this monstrosity, as I strongly believe in everyone's right to be a dumbass, I do feel as if the ATF is humping my leg just for the sheer joy of demeaning me. I mean, honestly. If the sig brace is safe enough for the general public, then so is a regular stock, meaning that the ban on SBRs is and always was completely absurd. Essentially, this is the ATF admitting that they are in no way concerned with public safety and are just screwing with us because they hate guns almost as much as they hate gun owners.

They might as well legalize machine guns and then pass a law that all of them have to be painted in hot pink (because we all know black guns are way more deadly). It would make just as much sense as banning SBRs but okaying the sig brace.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Kinda fun to go back and read the initial comments abt the brace, and to think of what they look like now, and how they’ve changed the “pistol” market...
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#40]
You're right!! Funny to read some of the original comments when the first pistol brace was introduced. Now we see they turned out to be the hottest product in the firearms industry this decade!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#41]
So did this ever become a thing?
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I didn't check the dates here, and was like...yeah, that's pretty dumb of them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:48:12 AM EDT
[#43]
I thought someone was making a joke and then saw the date. Holy zombie thread
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:58:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#44]
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:14:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By mancow:
View Quote

I blame the ATF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2023 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Crazy that was 10 years ago. I had the OG Sig brace back then.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Augee:

This.

I'm hoping from the "Veteran Designed" copy that it implies that he did receive credit and is in fact receiving compensation for it.  

Don't know that I have any use or care for it - but I'd hate to see his idea stolen out from under him like that nevertheless.

~Augee
View Quote

+100
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:06:19 AM EDT
[#48]
The designer is an arfcom member and showed his tan foam samples in a thread 11 years ago

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/New_Stabilizing_Brace_for_AR15_Pistol_SB15/122-592191/

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
I thought someone was making a joke and then saw the date. Holy zombie thread
View Quote

serious zombie thread. I am dissapoint
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:44:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kylestyle:
I already hate this as much as the slide fire. Also who the hell would want to shoot it like that?
View Quote

Braces were designed for disabled veterans. My son as cerebral palsy and has limited use of his left hand, braces like this allow him to shoot a firearm he normally wouldn't.

Just because it doesn't fit your specific needs doesn't mean they don't have their place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top