Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2017 7:00:15 PM EDT
While pawn shopping this weekend I found a .22 Ruger SP101 and it was in pristine condition, even came with the box. They're asking 529+tax. I tried haggling but they pretty much stuck to their guns, heehee.
I've been doing some research today and was wondering how to tell the difference between older and newer SP's in 22 cal.
I'm really digging this little gun and wouldn't mind adding it to my collection.
So give me some insight and opinions on this little gun.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice gun, but you can buy new for just a little more.  Personally I want one of these.  I checked one out at my local shop.  I don't think they have changed much other than the sights and the longer barrel.

What barrel length was on the one you were looking at?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:57:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very nice gun, but you can buy new for just a little more.  Personally I want one of these.  I checked one out at my local shop.  I don't think they have changed much other than the sights and the longer barrel.

What barrel length was on the one you were looking at?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43482/ruger_sp01-341217.JPG
View Quote
That looks exactly like the one I'm intersted in. What are they 4.2" bbls or something like that?

ETA: I should have read the picture a little more closely, it gives the bbl length.
Also, if I do get it I'm gonna change out the front sight. I don't like the looks of the FO sight. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 10:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The fiber optic is actually very nice when it comes to shooting.  If you don't like it Ruger has several other options including black or orange blade. I think someone makes a gold bead for them too, saw it on Brownells I think?  They have a push pin holding them in and are extremely easy to swap out.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The fiber optic is actually very nice when it comes to shooting.  If you don't like it Ruger has several other options including black or orange blade. I think someone makes a gold bead for them too, saw it on Brownells I think?  They have a push pin holding them in and are extremely easy to swap out.
View Quote
I'm thinking the gold bead type is exactly what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the old 6 shot models with a 4" barrel. I have used it many times to rain new shooters. It's a heavy little gun, I don't think you could afford enough .22 ammo to wear it out. Great little revolver, I paid $200 for it used out of a pawn shop 6-8 years ago.
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 8:25:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one of the newer SP101s,

I got it before the GP100 .22lr was back(?) on the market.

doing it over again my choices would be the GP100 .22lr or LCRx, The sp101 was just a bit too small for my liking. maybe with a different grip it might be better, but it just felt like a toy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top