Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2017 11:08:07 AM EDT
At a recent gun auction I decided to take a chance on a HS R-103 in very good shape. It's got a 4" barrel and came with a leather holster. I checked it out in the pre-auction inspection, lock up seems good, it had some cylinder wear from shooting, and a little finish wear on the barrel. Paid $150 plus fees and sales tax.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
But no pictures?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Couple issues:
Living in NYS I have to add the new pistol to my permit before I can take possession and I haven't had a chance to do that yet, then I have to drive back to the auction house and pick it up.

I'd use the picture from the auction website, but photbucket has decided you have to pay to get hosting.

*Edit to add a picture after starting a thread on another forum*

Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Neat. How's the trigger on it? Looks like it'd make an excellent camp pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#4]
With the little bit I could do pre-auction, I'd say not bad. It's better than my H&R 622, but not quite my Ruger MK1. It's not a bullseye gun, but I was looking for more of a plinker.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The Sentinels are nice and often overlooked pistols.  I have two.  The price you paid is pretty good.  

Like most double action 22 revolvers you will likely find the DA pull stiff.  This is the nature of the beast.  Twenty twos need a pretty stout smack to set off the primer and that usually means a heavy spring.   Single action should be fine.

High Standard made a lot of these; Sears sold them as J C Higgins. HS used the same basic frame and action for a variety of different models but the guts were still Sentinel.  Numrich still has a good supply of parts, not that you should need any.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 12:22:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's two pics I took. The holster that came with it is a Bucheimer Perfect fit 13.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:52:08 PM EDT
[#7]
They're great little pistols. Well made and surprisingly accurate.

If you want a light, reliable, inexpensive .22LR revolver, the market is pretty small.  The Sentinel Deluxe fits the bill nicely.

Here's my "new" R-107, circa 1968, I picked up for short money:

And I also had the opportunity to buy a "spare parts kit," so I should be set for a few years in case something breaks.

I'm actually surprised at how much I like this little gun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#9]
One interesting feature is that, unlike other rimfires, they *can* be dry fired.  The cylinder has a notch cut into it directly beneath where the hammer would strike, so it doesn't make contact if there's no brass there.  It makes the cylinder rim sort of ugly, but it's functional.

It also has a different ratcheting mechanism, not the standard finger and pawl, so the timing doesn't go out with wear.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:04:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been thinking my next pistol purchase might be a MKIV 22/45. Right now I have a MKI and love it. Most of my guns are .22's.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now you guys are creating a situation for me.  I have a friend that won a ruger 22/45 in a raffle and he wants something different.  I agreed to buy it from him for a good price, and planned to sell my Sentinel to partially fund the purchase.  Now I want to keep both. Wife will be mad if she finds out.
View Quote
keep the Sentinel.  10/22s are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 2:01:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got home from the range, overall it was good. I did get the occaisional light strike in DA. All shots fired in SA.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Keep it! It will grow on you.Got mine back in  1975 .It is very accurate. Holds 9 rounds. Can load with BB Caps,Shorts L.R, Shot ctgs. all at the same time if desired.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep it! It will grow on you.Got mine back in  1975 .It is very accurate. Holds 9 rounds. Can load with BB Caps,Shorts L.R, Shot ctgs. all at the same time if desired.
View Quote
Have no intention of getting rid of it, I think the misfires were more due to ammo than the gun, next range trip with her I'll use CCI's for verification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top