Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2017 12:57:51 PM EDT
Looking for a new compact semi-auto 22 pistol for woods walking, fishing, plinking, suggestions?

I kinda liked the looks, size and feel of the Ruger SR-22 but just saw information about the Smith & Wesson MP-22.

Needing something to pack while out and about in the woods, fields and streams. NC allows a pistol firing 22 long rifle with barrels not to exceed a certain length (I believe it's 4") to be carried at all times. seasons even on game lands and in campgrounds for personal protection. I'm "paraphrasing," this part but you get the idea. They don't want to let poachers get away carrying a longer barreled 22 mag under these rules.

I have an old Ruger Mk1 but man that thing is an anchor and I have 22 revolvers. I'm wanting something compact, lite, higher capacity (easy reload) but reliable and minute of squirrel/beer can accurate.

Suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking for a new compact semi-auto 22 pistol for woods walking, fishing, plinking, suggestions?

I kinda liked the looks, size and feel of the Ruger SR-22 but just saw information about the Smith & Wesson MP-22.

Needing something to pack while out and about in the woods, fields and streams. NC allows a pistol firing 22 long rifle with barrels not to exceed a certain length (I believe it's 4") to be carried at all times. seasons even on game lands and in campgrounds for personal protection. I'm "paraphrasing," this part but you get the idea. They don't want to let poachers get away carrying a longer barreled 22 mag under these rules.

I have an old Ruger Mk1 but man that thing is an anchor and I have 22 revolvers. I'm wanting something compact, lite, higher capacity (easy reload) but reliable and minute of squirrel/beer can accurate.

Suggestions or comments?

Thanks!
View Quote

This is what you need/want IMO.  Great pistol.  
I have one and like it better than the S&W MP-22 or the Walther P22.

ETA: If you have a can you want to purchase the threaded bbl version, make certain that the threads are concentric with your suppressor.  
I bought one of the early models and it wasn't, which caused a baffle strike.  Sent the pistol back to Ruger and they replaced the entire gun.  Works great suppressed now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I take it that the Jennnings J-22 is out of the running?

Always an adventure in if it will cycle another round, and just where you're gonna hit with the crappy sights.    

Honestly, that is my only .22 pistol, and I've somehow lost both magazines for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]
There is a pretty big difference in the S&W M&P22 and its little brother the M&P22c (compact version)

The compact is US made and while I don't have experience with the full size, my M&P22c has never missed a beat.  I primarily shoot it suppressed.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#4]
While I have other 22's that don't meet your criteria ( my old Colt woodsman is in the same weight class as the ruger standard and my S&W revolvers are my favorites) a couple old school guns I have that would be great in the role you describe are my old beretta jaguar ( later called model 71) light accurate and reliable. They were bringing them in cheap (under 250 bucks) a few years back ( century arms imports) mags are tough to source but that didn't stop me from buying mine in a pawn shop earlier this year $250 and I managed another 4 magazines ( two originals and two after market) for another $125.
A big t more mainstream is the old S&W 422 series. They made (make?) 12 round mags for them and can often be found in the used rack for under $250. As you can tell I like old used guns. These older guns have much better triggers and accuracy potential than the current crop of combat trainer type guns
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I loved the Walther P22 I had about 15 years ago. I wish I would not have sold it. It was such a fun gun to shoot and was 100% reliable. It ate every type of .22lr I fed it even the cheaper low velocity stuff. It was a tac driver too. Miss that little pistol, could get a lot of range time in with it being so cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's one you're probably going to laugh at but I know two people who have Phoenix Arms HP22s for their tackle box guns (the second bought his after the first recommend it).  They're on the heavy side for a compact .22 but they're like $125 new and both swear they've never had any problems with them despite a variety of cheap ammo and the abuse they receive.  Both claim to have shot snakes with them and having fired one of them I'd say accuracy was good enough for that purpose.  Not my choice but if you wanted something really cheap that you didn't have to worry about it might be an option.  

I still wish Ruger would come out with a compact version of the 22/45 lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's one you're probably going to laugh at but I know two people who have Phoenix Arms HP22s for their tackle box guns (the second bought his after the first recommend it).  They're on the heavy side for a compact .22 but they're like $125 new and both swear they've never had any problems with them despite a variety of cheap ammo and the abuse they receive.  Both claim to have shot snakes with them and having fired one of them I'd say accuracy was good enough for that purpose.  Not my choice but if you wanted something really cheap that you didn't have to worry about it might be an option.  

I still wish Ruger would come out with a compact version of the 22/45 lightweight.
View Quote
That Range Kit longer-barrel HP22 looks OK.  I never knew about them til you posted it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I loved the Walther P22 I had about 15 years ago. I wish I would not have sold it. It was such a fun gun to shoot and was 100% reliable. It ate every type of .22lr I fed it even the cheaper low velocity stuff.
View Quote
Your experience is the exact opposite of what I have seen. Two of my friends have them and every time we have gone to the range they will not run. Constant jams, failure to fires, etc.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That Range Kit longer-barrel HP22 looks OK.  I never knew about them til you posted it.  
View Quote
Well they're definitely not heirloom guns and your friends will probably mock you but if you're looking for something cheap (and inexpensive ) that you can abuse and if you should lose it canoeing it's not the end of the world then it might be an option.  

As a disclaimer I'll add that one of the two people I know has one has a thing for cheap guns (actually he's just notoriously cheap overall LOL).  He's got a shoebox full of cheap autos and revolvers, some of which he's tinkered with to get them running, others are just junk.  He carries the little HP22 a lot though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 1:50:10 AM EDT
[#10]
It's about 7 ounces heavier than an SR22 but much more pistol.

http://www.ruger.com/products/markIV2245Lite/specSheets/43906.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#11]
PPQ 22  (not a p22)
It's made by Walther, not Umarex.

Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Have shot 3 HP22s owned by family, and owned 1 myself.
Started all of them on 1-200 rounds of CCI Mini Mags, but after that they shot any ammo we fed them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:11:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm partial to the M&P 22c, with a can!

DSC_2692_MP22C-Sparrow-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:16:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The S&W 422/622 would be ideal.  But I think even the shorter barrel is 4.5 inches. If that illegal, you might try to find a 2213/2214.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
You have two options if you don’t want a novelty gun and want it to work.

Buckmark or Ruger.

If you want light...look at the Ruger Lite offerings. They’re TacSol knock offs...and weigh very little. I have a 22/45 MK3 with a standard threaded steel barrel. It’s a little heavy but function is great. Dropped a MK2 hammer bushing, deleted the mag safety, and added an LCI filler and the thing just chugs along when suppressed for 1000+ rounds before I even consider cleaning it. I highly recommend it. Anyone who bitches about them being difficult to disassemble is a simpleton. They’re stupid easy...and even easier once the mag disconnect safety is removed. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:44:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an SR22.  Neat little pistol, runs like a champ.  Eats everything I have fed it.  Decent accuracy for what it is.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 9:42:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Browning Buckmark
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 10:37:00 AM EDT
[#18]
I have had 2 SR22's and 1 MP22 Compact. I no longer own a SR22 due to the exploding take down lever problems followed by fast but lousy factory service. I hear they have over commed the problems now with new production guns. The Ruger and Smith&Wesson designs are great guns for what they are to emulate, self defense at close ranges. I shoot my S&W Compact a lot at close ranges but I would never take it hunting on purpose. It emulates guns that are made for shooting man sized targets at quick response. While you did not mention price my favorite all around Rimfire pistol has a Volquartsen 1911 style Target frame and main spring housing along with a Tactical Solutions PacLite barrel shortened to 3 1/2" and stuffed with a Ruger MKII bolt. SWG gunsmith added a orange serrated insert to the front sight and I replaced the rear sight blade with a Ruger white outlined one. This is the gun I grab for what you have described as its accuracy is outstanding. It's 24 oz weight takes it out of the 16 oz. weight class but still a very wearable and comfortable gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Adding my M&P22c. I have a variety of rounds through it and never a hiccup. Suppressed or non-suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:10:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Look for a Bersa that looks like a Walther PPK. Nice little pistol !
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:32:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep, a Bersa Thunder .22. They are the sleeper in the .22 pistol world.

Easy to see sights and accurate. It will fit in many Walther PP or even in a Makarov holster for outdoor use.

Here is my example in a PP holster. I "upgrayedd" to walnut stocks but the plastic panels are just fine.

Other than that all I would recommend as far as a light/thin .22 would be a S&W 422.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:04:14 AM EDT
[#22]
if you decide to widen your search to a wheel gun, a Ruger LCR 8shot might be worth looking at .... I received a 3" one as a gift... shoots well and is exceptionally light weight, and light double action pull
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I take it that the Jennnings J-22 is out of the running?
Always an adventure in if it will cycle another round, and just where you're gonna hit with the crappy sights.    
Honestly, that is my only .22 pistol, and I've somehow lost both magazines for it.
View Quote
It is a nice looker but I had the exact same issue.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:03:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Bersa Firestorm .22 is a nice little pistol. Steel slide, alloy frame, good sights.
Mine required about a brick through it before it ran reliably, but it's accurate as hell for what it is.
Good luck finding spare OEM mags, though. Mine only came with one.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#25]
SR22

The why.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/handguns/Beginner_Shooter_Info___Not_For_Experts___How_To_Set_Up_A_New_Pistol_You_Got_For_Christmas/4-164861/?
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Up until recently I did not have much experience with 22 pistols, the only ones I have much spent much time with is my old beretta from the 50’s and a friends buckmark. That being said, I got my son a S&W M&P 22c for Christmas, it is very well made, points nice and is light weight.  We have shot about 2,000 rounds through it and it has not missed a beat.  I plan on getting one for myself to use as a suppressior host in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#27]
The Walther PPQ 22 is seriously underrated.  Great trigger (better than my stock Ruger target pistols), accuracy, reliability and light weight.  Barrel is threaded for a can and cheap 12 round mags.

Also, unlike the S&W M&P 22 Compact, rear sight is adjustable for windage AND elevation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:13:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Another vote for Buckmark

I've had a Buckmark 5.5 Target for about 25 years.
It has been very accurate and dependable.

Last year I picked up a used like new Buckmark camper
and added a 4" threaded Tactical Solutions barrel. It is
very light and accurate and a great host for my suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80996/IMG-0142-140284.jpg

Adding my M&P22c. I have a variety of rounds through it and never a hiccup. Suppressed or non-suppressed.
View Quote
What flashlight is that? I'm trying to find one to fit my 22c.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 9:04:40 AM EDT
[#30]
OP, do you own a Glock 19/23? Maybe try an Advantage Arms conversion kit. I have one for a G19 and love it.

They're a bit ammo sensitive but if you stick to the 40 grain loadings they run fine. Plus muscle memory and all that.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 1:37:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP, do you own a Glock 19/23? Maybe try an Advantage Arms conversion kit. I have one for a G19 and love it.

They're a bit ammo sensitive but if you stick to the 40 grain loadings they run fine. Plus muscle memory and all that.
View Quote
I do but had never heard of the "conversion kit." I'll check it out and thanks!
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/80996/IMG-0142-140284.jpg

Insight M3. It’s pretty old but works well enough.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Ruger mark iv 22/45 lite.  It is compact enough.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Another vote for the M&P22c. Love that damn gun. Never missed a beat. Paid $289 nib. Never missed a beat suppresses or unsuppressed.
The new Inforce, non Glock model, of the APLc fits the M&P22c just about perfectly.
Tactical Solutions Glock 22 conversions run the best in my experience. GREAT training tool
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Walther TPH.  It is freaking tiny.
Link Posted: 2/24/2018 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Browning Buckmark
View Quote
Buckmark Micro to be exact.    
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:49:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had the long barrel version of the HP22 for over ten years. Well, I bought one ten years ago. It was my one .22 plinker/tacklebox gun. It ran great on a diet of nasty Thunderbolts. :) At seven years of semi-abuse, I was cleaning it at a plinking session and noticed the slide was cracked. Called Phoenix. RMA'd on their dime. New pistol showed up in the mail about two weeks later.  New one ate thunderbolts until last year when I bought a Ruger SR22.  Phoenix is now my "kayak fishing adventure tacklebox gun" and basically retired as main plinker.  Love this SR22 more.

OP, I highly recommend the SR22, the SW MP Compact 22 or the lowly Phoenix. All will suit your woods walking plinker needs. I don't own the SW, yet, but know some who do and have nothing but good to say about them. The Ruger and Smith have nice three dot sights. The HP22 does not. That would be it's only drawback IMO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have an SR22.  Neat little pistol, runs like a champ.  Eats everything I have fed it.  Decent accuracy for what it is.
View Quote
What he said.  Love mine. It is also similar in size to my main carry gun, a G27. Even sits fairly well in the 27's holsters though I've bought a Fobus paddle just for the Ruger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Easy to see sights and accurate. It will fit in many Walther PP or even in a Makarov holster for outdoor use.

Here is my example in a PP holster. I "upgrayedd" to walnut stocks but the plastic panels are just fine.

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2z3z5ev.jpg

Other than that all I would recommend as far as a light/thin .22 would be a S&W 422.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2z3z5ev.jpg

A bud of mine bought one of those on a lark. He really likes it. Says it eats about anything he feeds it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top