Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2017 9:48:08 PM EDT
Ive tried a few types of ammo and continue to have the issue of ftf from ruger magazines. I wil fire a few and then it will hang up trying to pull the next round out of the mag. Has this been common ?
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Mark iii or mark iv? If it is the mk iii and still has the loaded chamber indicator that is most likely your problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 12:11:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a common enough problem that there are several good articles out there about "tuning" Ruger magazines.  All of them come down to removing all sharp edges and burrs. I'd disassemble the magazines and throw them in a tumbler to polish them up. I've done it to all of mine and never had any other problem other than crappy ammo failing to fire.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry its one of the newer Mk4. It does it with all the ammo Ive tried in all the mags. Its like the feed angle of the mag doesnt line up with the feed ramp of the chamber
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I had terrible luck with mine until I tried CCI standard 40 grain. No more jams. And I even used MecGar mags from CDNN with new Ruger springs. That seemed to fix the mag issue the real factory mags didn't have. Even though CDNN claims the MecGar mags are OEM. The spring is shorter for anyone who is curious. Otherwise the body and follower are the same. The spring made the difference.
Otherwise I find my MkIII is much more ammo picky than my dad's old MkI.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had terrible luck with mine until I tried CCI standard 40 grain. No more jams. And I even used MecGar mags from CDNN with new Ruger springs. That seemed to fix the mag issue the real factory mags didn't have. Even though CDNN claims the MecGar mags are OEM. The spring is shorter for anyone who is curious. Otherwise the body and follower are the same. The spring made the difference.
Otherwise I find my MkIII is much more ammo picky than my dad's old MkI.
View Quote
I found the CDNN mags were not the same as OEM Ruger in every way. Every part was different. The notch for the mag release is also higher on them noticeably and can contribute to feeding problems.

I also found variance in my Ruger pistols on how high they hold the mag compared to the bolt. I have one pistol where it feeds rounds from both ruger and the CDNN mags. It holds the mag higher. I have another that will not go through a single CDNN mag without a FTF where the bolt rides over or nose dives the next round into the feed ramp. It holds the mag slightly lower than my other pistols. If I run Ruger mags, which ride higher, it runs just fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe I got lucky and the longer spring helped whatever the issue was. I will have to compare to see the mag catch slot again.
I'm surprised CDNN (well not really surprised) sells them as OEM. If MecGar is contracted to make Ruger mags why would they make them differently, why not use the same, paid-for tooling?
I get using a cheaper spring to cut cost.
I suspect MecGar is only one of a few companies that make Ruger mags and that may explain why some run great and some don't.
I know Sig has two diff companies make their mags. Or did.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top