Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 11:09:55 PM EDT
I found a Olympic Arms Whitney Wolverine in my travels today for $150.00. The guy I got it from put the cocobola stocks, "compensator", and rear adjustable sights on it but never shot it. It came with three mags and the original muzzle nut, rear sight, and plastic grips.

Attachment Attached File

I'm not sure if OA makes (or will make) these any more as all stocking dealers show them out of stock. Looks like OA is “entertaining offers” for restructuring the company’s operation, transferring ownership or a combination of the two in a announcement today....They were planning on closing.

link

Any-hoo, back to the pistol.

I took it apart and cleaned/lubed it....To say it's a bit "different" in that regard is a understatement. That said everything went just fine so I loaded the three 10-round mags with CCI MM solids, grabbed a extra box,  and down to the range I went.

I set everything up and settled in for some bench shooting. I went through the three mags with no issues, switched to Winchester Super X, no issues, Federal 38 gr bulk, no issues, CCI MMHPs, no issues, CCI Standard, nope, nope, and nope. It likes the good HV stuff. I went through about 150 rounds....not bad for a pistol known for break-in issues.

I just wonder how many peeps that had issues ran it dry from the box given it's a bit daunting to clean/lube for the inexperienced. There was almost no factory lube in it.

The trigger is very good (one hell of a lot better than a stock Ruger MK-whatever) and at 15 yards I easily keep everything within a 2" shoot-n-see. At 25 yards I did not have any trouble ringing a 3" steel spinner target. It's light for a full-sized pistol coming in at 19.1 oz loaded.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I took it back home and cleaned it and was surprised at how clean it ran. I suspect it could go for 400-500 rounds (with quality ammo)  before you had to clean it.

It fits fine in a old Hunter holster that was used for a High Standard semi-auto. With the plain muzzle-nut installed it fits in a Swedish Lahti L-35 flap holster along with it's two mags.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:14:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I honestly never heard of those. Very cool find!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I honestly never heard of those. Very cool find!
View Quote
Originally came out in the 50's.  Didn't last long.  Oly resurrected it a few years ago using polymer instead of alloy.  I'd see them around but I don't think they were a big seller.  Oly closed shop several months ago.  Their recent announcement doesn't give me much hope for a revival.  Gun market is depressed right now and the AR market in particular is saturated.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well it just got off the phone with Oly Arms, they only had eight units in stock (black with cocobolo stocks) and when they are gone that's going to be pretty much it for the Oly Wolverine.

They still have some parts (supply is getting low) so I ordered some small parts for my example that could easily "disappear" when cleaning.

I also ordered a 3/8 X 24 thread adapter from another source so I can try to put a can on it.....More to follow if I can get it up and running.

Here is a mock-up of what I envision it looking like.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Update:

I got in my Twisted Industries 3/8 X 24 to 1/2 X 28 adapter and got to work on getting the Wolverine ready for a can.  It went the way I envisioned it.

The parts:

Adapter, locking ring that I drilled a detent pin lock hole in.

Attachment Attached File

Installation:

I hand screwed the adapter down to the frame the torqued it just a bit with a 2 pence piece.

Attachment Attached File

I then screwed in the locking ring down till it bottomed out on the frame and the detent locked it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Finished product:

Attachment Attached File

I screwed my can on and test fired it with the same CCI Standard that would not cycle properly before. Works fine now. I guess there was enough extra back pressure to make it cycle. That is what I hoped would happen. Talk about light, it's only 1.8# with can and a full mag.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I topped it off with a thread protector. It ended-up being 1/32" shorter than with the muzzle thing that was on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Where did you source the lock ring? I've been googling all over and can't find one in the correct size. Thanks. I have both an Oly and an original Whitney, so this is very attractive to me!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:18:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh sweet jesus that looks great suppressed.

I've always wanted one of these as a kid because it reminded me of the crappy little rubber BB guns I'd shot my little brother's eyes with.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 3:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:18:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I discovered today that the thread on the original Wolverines is NOT the same as the Olys. It's bigger than 3/8. Might be 7/16-24 but haven't been able to get a correct measurement on it yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top