Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2017 9:22:25 AM EDT
This maybe nothing new to some of you and I am sure this trick has been done before but just wanted to share.

I was trying to sight in my M&P22c the other day at 10 yards and was getting 6-10" groups on the tight side. It was a joke. I knew that mine had some of the poor rifling characteristics associated with the M&P22c's that S&W refuses to correct. I had just cleaned mine prior (300-400 rds) to sighting it in. I didn't think it would have leaded up this bad this quickly. I had been shooting it suppressed (MaskHD) so that may have sped up the fouling process.  

I took it back to the office and was going to clean it like a normally do. Which is with various brushes and a ton of elbow grease. But I sat down and realized I could use the 50/50 solution on the barrel by utilizing the finger of a rubber glove and a bread tie. I am sure a condom would work just as well. I have used the 50/50 Vinegar Hydrogen Peroxide solution many times in the past on my Glock barrels. It is easy with them because you just pop the barrel out and stick it in the vat. With the fixed barrel design it made things a bit more difficult. I wedged it on the handle of my desk drawer to keep it orientated up. A padded vise would be a better option.

I left the barrel like this to soak for 10min and then ran a nylon brush thru the barrel and then let it sit again for another 10min. After the 20Min was up I emptied the solution into my lead jar. And rinsed the barrel off with water. I was amazed with how clean it had gotten. Their was 1 small sliver of lead at the tip of the barrel that I flaked off with a dental pick. Other than that it was 100% spotless.

After cleaning I went back home and tried to re zero the gun and was pleasantly surprised that it can shoot better than what it was. Its not great and I will have to try some more various types of ammo to see what groups best. Here are my groups. The photos are taken in succession of how I shot my groups. The first group is a 10 shot group the rest are all 5 shot. All shots were taken off a table with a rest at 10 Yards. All groups except for the last was Agulia Subsonic. The Last group was crappy Remington thunderbolt which group surprising well.

It was strange that the 2 groups that had the wild flyer was both the first shot on a "cold" suppressor. I wonder if the Agulia ammo combined with the FRP of the can cause the extreme flyer. And since its the dead air Mash the FRP is pretty much non-extant. Their is one group that only has 3 shots. I am wondering if that agulia subsonic out of a pistol is not getting a complete powder burn. This same ammo out of my 10/22 suppressed is very accurate for what it is.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
What type ammo were you using that created such leading? I would bet Remington which is a notorious lead depositors
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Out of the 300-400 rds 150-200 was probably Thunderbolt. I know the ammo is crap but I had a brick open and wanted to shoot some of it up.

The rest was a mix of federal target less than 50RDS, Agulia Subs, CCI std Vel and some federal bulk pack.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a problem with my 22c accuracy when I got it. At 7 yards it was hard to keep on a paper plate. I let others try it, different ammo etc. I called and told them and sent it in for a new barrel. Problem solved. It is still not as accurate as my 22/45 but it is totally reliable and groups are at least acceptable. The new barrel doesn't lead up either. Should not have to do this but they were great about making it right. Hope this helps. Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top