Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/28/2017 5:42:43 PM EDT
Ok,
I also posted this on RFC, so if you saw it there you can move on...

So I'm a pretty big MkII fan. When the MkIII came out, and saw the horrible LCI, etc. I was kinda .

Then the MkIV came out. NO LCI, simplified breakdown etc.

So, that being said, is the MkIV the new standard? When the MkIII came out many (including me) were like "never". Has the reaction to the MkIV been the same? Other than the recall, and issues with the IV? Is it truly the best of the Mk series? Or, is it Ruger's attempt to keep an old established line "fresh" and "new"? Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling my MkIIs, but I have that "itch" and was wondering if the MkIV would "scratch" it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not selling my MKIII 22/45 that has the LCI removed and the mag safety removed for a MKIV.  I'd buy a MKIV if I wanted another gun.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:38:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Marks are like 10/22's.  They breed.

That said if I were to buy the Mark IV today as my first,  I would probably be dissapointed later shooting
the earlier versions.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Marks are like 10/22's.  They breed.

That said if I were to buy the Mark IV today as my first,  I would probably be dissapointed later shooting
the earlier versions.
View Quote
Oh, I know.  I've got three MkII's and a 22/45 hybrid (MkIII lower with MkII upper). Good to know about the IV.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mk II and a Mk III (hunter). Never have had an issue with disassembly/assembly or the LCI. Would still pick up a Mk IV if there was one that I like the looks of. Does anyone know if the III magazines are compatible?
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:20:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ruger MK II Slabside owner, bought new. long ago.

Never had a problem with disassembly or re-assembly, even before YouTube vids were common.

Those who cannot maintain simple tools ought not posses them.
View Quote
 Never said disassembly or re-assembly was a problem.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a Mk II and a Mk III (hunter). Never have had an issue with disassembly/assembly or the LCI. Would still pick up a Mk IV if there was one that I like the looks of. Does anyone know if the III magazines are compatible?
View Quote
The MKlll and MKlV magazines are compatible.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a standard, Mark II, Mark III 22/24 Lite, and a Mark IV.  The Mark IV is machined beautifully and the stainless machined lower is really nice as opposed to the stamped lower on the previous versions.  I never had a problem taking down the previous version but the Mark IV is extremely easy, not that I clean it anyway but it's nice to show people.    I'm not selling my other Ruger rimfires and I still shoot all of them but when someone asks me what rimfire pistol to buy it's a Mark IV.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, you didn't, but if the thread goes on ling enough, someone will come along complaining.
View Quote
Ok, I'll give you that...
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Considering Ruger was completely idiotic and made the safety on the MkIV hinge at the wrong end, I would buy anything BUT. I have a MkIII with the LCI, mag safety, etc. removed and, while it's not perfect for a left hander, it's still better for me than the MkIV.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:23:13 PM EDT
[#12]
MKII's for me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 3:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer the last round hold open on the Mk II to the manual safety activated hold open on the MK I.  The MK IIs generally have better triggers, and with a drop in trigger and sear kit both can be made to be very good.

Still, my Model 17 is my favorite rimfire handgun:

Mk I T678 Target
Model 17
Mk II 512 Target

All about 200 rounds dirty:

Link Posted: 7/3/2017 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
MKII GTM, MKII Slabside, MIII hunter with the LCI and mag disconnect removed.

MKII's are staying.  MKIII ?  Thats currently up for debate.  I don't shoot it much, and the trigger is horrible, but Im not in any great hurry to get rid of it yet for a MKIV.

If they release a MK IV with a factory threaded barrel Im in.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 5:44:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MKII GTM, MKII Slabside, MIII hunter with the LCI and mag disconnect removed.

MKII's are staying.  MKIII ?  Thats currently up for debate.  I don't shoot it much, and the trigger is horrible, but Im not in any great hurry to get rid of it yet for a MKIV.

If they release a MK IV with a factory threaded barrel Im in.
View Quote
They have factory threaded MkIV Lite and Tactical models.
Ruger
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:36:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They have factory threaded MkIV Lite and Tactical models.
Ruger
View Quote
I know...i don't like those models...not a fan of the 22/45 at all.  would like a MKIV target threaded...I know..I can buy one and send it out...but Im not motivated enough to go through all that.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#17]
My favorite is the MKII 22/45. It does require an aftermarket trigger in the least. The extended controls available at the time are nice to have as well.

My kid wants one in the traditional style. The MKIV makes the most sense. The trigger is acceptable, the controls are nice, and he could probably disassemble and clean it himself. I like the alloy framed target models best.

The MKIII 5.5" tapered barrel is his favorite, but those usually need a hammer/sear, the magazine safety removed, and it never hurts to block off the loaded chamber indicator. A lot of work for a now obsolete gun.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a MKII target model and a 22/45 MKIII lite.

I won't be buying any more MKIII's, the jury is still out on the MkIV.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I still prefer my Mark II to any of the newer versions.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a Tactical Solutions Paclite/MKIII 22/45. I had another Paclite with a MKIII frame, but sold it to a buddy. I've got a stainless MKIV coming in.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 6:28:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I picked up a mk iv comp on gunbroker a few days ago for a pretty good price, 494+15 shipped.  Should arrive tomorrow, I have a mk iii 22/45 lite and really enjoyed it, but gave it to an up an coming shooter who is enjoying it very much.  Can't wait to get the mark iv!!

I have a feeling I'll be adding a mark iv lite also.  I shoot wet-supressed A LOT and my gun gets nasty!  That simple takedown will make dissassembly and cleaning a joy instead of a chore you don't really look forward to.

Ruger triggers suck but the vq trigger/parts and tk bushing more than take care of that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Love my customized MK II:

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#24]
My Mark III has Williams Fire sights Ruger Hunter wood grips and factory stock parts. Over 7500 rounds nice groups no misfeeds. I will keep it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Already own a SR22 and extra mags for it.  Debating on getting another or a MKIV.  

Are the magazines interchangable between the SR22 and the MKIV or will I have to buy additional mags if I buy it?  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Already own a SR22 and extra mags for it.  Debating on getting another or a MKIV.  

Are the magazines interchangable between the SR22 and the MKIV or will I have to buy additional mags if I buy it?  

Thanks,
View Quote
They use different magazines. I prefer MKIII/MKIV magazines over 22/45 magazines.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I see I'm not the only one who prefers the original design over the new model.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:08:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Shit, I thought this was a STEN thread.

MKII in NFA jail
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

They use different magazines. I prefer MKIII/MKIV magazines over 22/45 magazines.
View Quote
I thought they were the same pistol?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Much love for my MkIII's will all the evil lawyer doodads removed.  Although nice, I am not hopping to a MkIV anytime soon.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:14:40 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I thought they were the same pistol?
View Quote
Essentially, yes. Same upper receivers, different frames. The MKIV 22/45 is a MKIV, but with a frame that's made to mimic the 1911 in ergonomics. The MKI-IV pistols are based on the Nambu pistol and has a Luger-style grip/frame (I say Luger since it's more well known than the Nambu).

If you go to this link, you can see the different models and the different frames.

The MKIV and MKIV 22/45 use different magazines. A Ruger MKIII and MKIV use the same magazine. A Ruger MKIII 22/45 can use MKIV 22/45 magazines, but not vice versa.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:31:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Mechanically speaking, the new model pistol's pivot point, and capture mechanism, introduce possible detriments to accuracy that are not present in the older versions of the pistols.
View Quote
Like an AR15???
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#34]
There was nothing on the MkII that needed fixing, IMO.  THAT was a damn good pistol.

Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There was nothing on the MkII that needed fixing, IMO.  THAT was a damn good pistol.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Mk-II-No-Rib--1280x853--262397.jpg
View Quote
Agreed. Then they added that shitty LCI when they introduced the MKIII.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agreed. Then they added that shitty LCI when they introduced the MKIII.
View Quote
You should try to put one together from a box of parts....oh, that was fun!
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You should try to put one together from a box of parts....oh, that was fun!
View Quote
I bet. I built two with MKIII and MKIII 22/45 frames I bought off of gunraper using TacSol uppers. Wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#38]
I have an MK3 22/45 that I love.   Mag disconnect and LCI removed.

I just ordered an MK3 4.5" threaded to use with a can.

I I've never had an issue with assembly or disassembly, but I'm a man....
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I have an old MKII Target with a Volquartsen trigger in it and I love it.

Just bought a post recall MKIV Competition. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. I love the take down feature, its so easy.

It will be my new Steel Challenge pistol. Ill probably put a Razor red dot on it.

The wife will now shoot the MKII for Steel.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#40]
My first was a Mark III 22/45 version. I hated the trigger, the near worthless and unsightly LCI were the biggest things. I sold it within a month. I just got a Mark II manufactured in 1990 from an Estate Sale in pristine condition. Yeah, they should have kept making the Mark II's still in addition to newer models for those that prefer it. My only gripe with the Mark II... and it's a very minute one... it's the magazine release at the heel of the grip. I wish it was a thumb ejection instead. But I will more than manage with it and get use to it quick.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn MARK IV COMPETITION has been begging for me to get one.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:20:17 PM EDT
[#42]
The best of the bunch is the MK I.  I strongly disagree that the MK II has a better trigger.  To paraphrase the good colonel, everything after the MK I is "a solution in search of a problem".

The MK's are not combat handguns.  They don't need rapid magazine changes, last shot bolt hold open devices and all of the other "improvements".  And as to the MK IV, if you can't field strip and then reassemble any of the earlier MK's you need to learn how to read and follow directions, it's really very, very simple.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#43]
No school like the Old School!

Mk I, baby!!

Attachment Attached File

AKA simply the Standard Model
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 12:59:53 PM EDT
[#44]
I've found accuracy about the same in the various Mk's and trigger to vary widely even within the same Mk's, but I sold my Mk II slabside competition because my MK III Hunter shot just as well if not a tad better.  The trigger seemed to be a touch better as well.  My Mark IV had a "decent" trigger but after the recall they replaced it with a different lower that has a terrible trigger :(  I thought the Mk IV breakdown was the cat's meow, but it's really not a big deal after all.  I seldom ever needed to clean my older Rugers other than wiping out the bore with a rag, but they really aren't a huge deal to take apart.
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/23042/Mk-II-No-Rib--1280x853--262397.jpg
View Quote
I agree. I own a MarkII target and a standard.
Never had any problems with them.
I like the idea of the easy takedown on the MarkV but I never had a problem taking down the II.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#46]
I bought a stainless Ruger Mark III Hunter 6 7/8" barrel pistol years ago and modified it internally.  Installed the Acurizing kit, Tandemkross mag disconnect and LCI filler.  I also installed the Ruger target wood grips.  Later, I bought a NIB Mark II.  I sold the Mark II and still have the Mark III.  I would never part with it.  Never had an issue with it.  I don't see the need in getting the Mark IV.  If I wanted another .22LR handgun, I would buy a S&W .22LR revolver.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 11:46:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I will never never never never never never sell or trade my MK2. Ever. That thing is a keeper! Excellent trigger and great accuracy.

When the MK3s came out I gagged. Fucking hated that thing and still do. The only changes they made were to add lawyered up safety devices??? Fuck you ruger.

THEN they came out with the mk4 and I have to say Im impressed. The machined lower and new take down system is awesome. I was worried the take down would get loose by falling victim to time or poor QC but if you look closely its a spring loaded wedge tension device. Good job ruger. The fit and finish on MK4 is better than any previous MK imho.

The new mag disconnect is better made and doesnt interfere with the trigger so much. The new lite models are everything a suppressor shooter could ever ask for. Love mine. Its just one drop in target trigger away from perfection.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

1:When the MK3s came out I gagged. Fucking hated that thing and still do. The only changes they made were to add lawyered up safety devices??? Fuck you ruger.

2:The new mag disconnect is better made and doesnt interfere with the trigger so much. The new lite models are everything a suppressor shooter could ever ask for. Love mine. Its just one drop in target trigger away from perfection.
View Quote
1: You must be forgetting the best update to the Mark series that has ever happened, The magazine release being moved to the side of the frame using only one hand to release a magazine. Is there one certain person you want to have sex with at Ruger or is it everyone?

2:To me the plastic 22/45 frame is junk. It relies completely on the whole plastic injection process to be preformed absolutely the same each time. After 44 years in the plastic injection industry I’ve seen to many things not design or processed correctly. I will pick a metal carriage inserted into a plastic frame over Rugers frame anytime. I have replaced all my 22/45 frames with Volquartsen 1911 frames,
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 8:09:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
1: You must be forgetting the best update to the Mark series that has ever happened, The magazine release being moved to the side of the frame .....[
View Quote
Heel release on a .22 never bothered me. Moving it to the side of the gun is a bonus, but honestly if they left it as is (even on the mk4) I wouldn't have cared. Tactical and competition shoots probably care though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2017 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#50]
MK's II, III & IV are all solutions in search of problems.  None of the changes was needed nor made for a better firearm.  All increased the complexity and tendency toward malfunction.

The changes were all driven by an attempt to make the firearm more appealing to the companies lawyers and accountants.

The MK's are not combat guns.  They are recreational sidearms.  They do not need magazine releases for quicker magazine changes.  They don't need bolt hold open devices (I assume most can count to nine as they usually have ten fingers and thumbs).

The last BS about making them easier to strip and reassemble is proof positive that many firearms users never read the manual.  The earlier MK's had it right there in black and white how to disassemble and reassemble the firearm.

And, how long was it until the MKIV was recalled?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top