Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2017 9:46:04 PM EDT
My daughter started with a single shot bolt action .22 rifle. She got bored fast so I upgraded her to an mnp .22lr. She loves it and does really well with it! Everything is going great but now she is showing interest in my handguns.
   So I told her if she can memorize the 4 rules of gun safety word for word from my idpa rule book then I'll get her something.
  Yes she already knows the 4 rules but I want her to know them word for word. For example she usually says keep your booger hook off the bang switch until ready to fire lol
   Anyway who has the smallest grip while still being decent enough to learn fundamentals?
  I have a buckmark and a mark2 already but they are heavy with large grips.
   I'm thinking ruger sr 22? My buddy has a mint sig mosquito he taught his daughter with. Then upgraded her to a 9mm right away so apparently it only has a 100rds through it.

Thanks for your time
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
And just where did she learn about booger hooks? 
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 11:49:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Walther PPK/s .22. About $350 street price new.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:41:49 AM EDT
[#3]
SR22

/end of thread.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:08:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And just where did she learn about booger hooks? 
View Quote
Lol when she was 4yrs old it was easier for her to remember because it was funny when she heard me say it once.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#5]
SR22 would be hard to beat.  I have one and it just keeps on running.  For a revolver, I'd suggest Ruger Bearcat.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Any of what I refer to as " combat trainers" like the S&W m&p or ruger sr 22 are going to have relatively crap triggers. I prefer to start new shooters with good quality single action triggers - look for used one of my favorites ( used under 300 bucks with some searching) is the excellent smith 422. Alloy frame so light for a young shooter and a great trigger.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife's Ruger SR22 has been very reliable will lots of different ammunition and it comes with two interchangeable grips.

It's perfect for small hands and IMO, the best of the small tactical style .22 pistols.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#8]
While you're at it....also have her try a Walther P22.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the tips. I went ahead on my buddies sig mosquito. Also came with a new paddle holster. But I agree with most... I should have bought the ruger because I handled one after the fact and it is smaller etc.  oh well I'll end have the wife use the sig and I'll pic up the ruger I think.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread was/is about setting up an SR22.  My grandkids, now 8 and 11, shoot the SR22 semi automatically loading from the magazines.  They started out with one round chambered of Remington CB caps, then one round of CCI quiet 40RN, then one round of CCI MiniMagHS40RN, 5 rounds of .22HS, and now a full magazine.  Incremental introduction to a semi auto firearm.   The small grip works perfectly.  The boy started when he was 5 I think with mini little hands.  The SR22 works perfectly and is easy to manipulate.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/164861_Beginner_Shooter_Info___Not_For_Experts___How_To_Set_Up_A_New_Pistol_You_Got_For_Christmas.html
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Smith 422/622, preferably a 6 inch.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#12]
For small hands, the Beretta Neo is a nice fit, IMO. The SR22 trigger might be a bit harsh for a young shooter, the Neo is single action.

The Browning Buck is also nicely ergonomically designed.

My .o2
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:13:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Spare parts no longer being made for these models, sir.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess I should throw mine in the trash then?
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 8:19:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have a good number of guns made in the 40's and 50's which have been shot extensively with no parts breakage. The fact a gun and parts are out of production should not hamper anyone in the least! Outfits like sarco numrich and jack first among others have plenty of parts.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:06:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have a good number of guns made in the 40's and 50's which have been shot extensively with no parts breakage. The fact a gun and parts are out of production should not hamper anyone in the least! Outfits like sarco numrich and jack first among others have plenty of parts.
View Quote
All quite true. But the 422/622 series has a track record/rep as having broken firing pins. Obviously I have no clue as to how many rds they fired before they broke. Not sure how many firing pins Numerich might have on hand either.

I would also venture that the 422/622 series has been S&W's weakest series ever produced. Not trying to insult those whom like theirs, just stating an opinion based on engineering quality.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:53:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
SR22

/end of thread.
View Quote
This is the best small 22lr handgun for small hands.  It is accurate and shoots everything.  It is just a fun gun for new shooters and experienced as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top