Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2017 10:50:45 PM EDT
Have a growing family of these guns and am wondering which upgrades you guys have found most worthwhile.

Think i am going to have them threaded. Might set up one with a comp and a cmore for competition so I am looking at comps too.

Open to any and all suggestions and look forward to hearing what has worked.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Volquartsen MKII Hammer bushing to remove the mag disconnect feature, a Volquartsen Sear and polish the trigger plunger. I've done this to all my MKIII, 22/45 lite and it will drop trigger weight in the sub 2 lb range. I've also installed Majestic Arms speed strip kits to make it easier to clean
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hammer bushing to remove magazine safety is really nice to have.  Best mod for me was adding a Burris fastfire iii on top.

I installed the volquartsen trigger and did not like it--i prefer 3.5-4.5 lb triggers and it was not in that window or if it was the very bottom.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 7:51:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hammer bushing to remove magazine safety is really nice to have.  Best mod for me was adding a Burris fastfire iii on top.

I installed the volquartsen trigger and did not like it--i prefer 3.5-4.5 lb triggers and it was not in that window or if it was the very bottom.
View Quote
So it was too light for you, am I reading that right? Other than that was the trigger pull itself good? No slop, creep, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:08:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So it was too light for you, am I reading that right? Other than that was the trigger pull itself good? No slop, creep, etc.
View Quote
I initially just installed the sear and had some safety issues with it so I bought the matching hammer to go along with it.  I shot with it for a few minutes and immediately did not like it because of how light it was.  I can't comment on creep, slop etc because frankly I did not use it long enough to see.

You may also want to read Old_Painless write up on what he did with his.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/fixing-the-problems-on-a-ruger-2245-lite-2/
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the link I'll check it out
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 9:48:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would try the hammer bushing first if anything. Either Volquartsen or the Tandemkross. I had better luck with the Volquartsen. That in my opinion is the biggest bang for your buck. I also added a tactical solutions fiber optic front sight on all mine. I tried a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and actually prefer the iron sights better.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
#1: Volquartsen sear
#2: Hammer bushing to get rid of the mag safety
#3: Kanewolf slingshot mod
#4: LCI delete/filler
#5: TK Victory trigger
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is what I've done to my black lite.  Love it.

Plus a docter red dot on top.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
On my MKIII 22/25 I did everything Engineer did plus added #6 and #7

#6: Extended mag release from TK
#7" Extended mag bumper from TK
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I came in from a different direction with mine.  I built mine up from parts; only the bolt and mainspring are actual Ruger parts.  

The lower is Volqs and the upper is TacSol.  The Volqs trigger is easily the best trigger I have ever experienced in any gun; like a glass rod snapping.  

I put a Vortex Venom on it (Vortex has a nice discount for military) but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet.  Hoping the HPA passes sometime soon so the comp can come off for a silencer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I came in from a different direction with mine.  I built mine up from parts; only the bolt and mainspring are actual Ruger parts.  

The lower is Volqs and the upper is TacSol.  The Volqs trigger is easily the best trigger I have ever experienced in any gun; like a glass rod snapping.  

I put a Vortex Venom on it (Vortex has a nice discount for military) but haven't had a chance to sight it in yet.  Hoping the HPA passes sometime soon so the comp can come off for a silencer.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/171243/withsight-192709.JPG
View Quote
Yikes

Dare I ask what the lower cost? I actually have a extra paclite upper. I was going to send one of my mkII uppers in sans bolt and see if they would put a new lower and bolt in it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 1:55:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yikes

Dare I ask what the lower cost? I actually have a extra paclite upper. I was going to send one of my mkII uppers in sans bolt and see if they would put a new lower and bolt in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes

https://www.volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/566 $486 direct from Volqs.

He gave me a military discount so it was a little less than that, but I don't remember how much.  EAB has them for $437 so it was probably about the same in the end.

http://www.eabco.net/Volquartsen-2245-Aluminum-Frame_p_14001.html  

So, about as much as buying a whole nother gun from Ruger....

I reluctantly added a TacSol bolt-racker.  I didn't really like it but I got tired of the blood blisters.  I would have gone whole-hog and gotten an aftermarket mainspring and bolt, but I don't like any of the aftermarket bolt designs available.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I built my first 22/45 lite with a tac sol comp and Burris Fast Fire III.

I built my daughters 22/45 lite exactly like this one. The C-more and 90 mount is way better than the fast fire. It is larger and you can still see half the irons at the bottom. The on/off switch of the C-more is way better than the tiny push button of the fast fire. The Tandemkross game changer comp or added weight of the C-more and mount seemed to make the dot bounce less.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:04:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
https://www.volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/566 $486 direct from Volqs.

He gave me a military discount so it was a little less than that, but I don't remember how much.  EAB has them for $437 so it was probably about the same in the end.

I reluctantly added a TacSol bolt-racker.  I didn't really like it but I got tied of the blood blisters.  I would have gone whole-hog and gotten an aftermarket mainspring and bolt, but I don't like any of the aftermarket bolt designs available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yikes

I reluctantly added a TacSol bolt-racker.  I didn't really like it but I got tied of the blood blisters.  I would have gone whole-hog and gotten an aftermarket mainspring and bolt, but I don't like any of the aftermarket bolt designs available.
Yeah I can't bring myself to spend over $400 on a lower. I haven't paid that much for any of rugers. Think they were all under $300.

I know volquartsen makes good stuff but for what I am doing it's not worth it to me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I built my first 22/45 lite with a tac sol comp and Burris Fast Fire III.

I built my daughters 22/45 lite exactly like this one. The C-more and 90 mount is way better than the fast fire. It is larger and you can still see half the irons at the bottom. The on/off switch of the C-more is way better than the tiny push button of the fast fire. The Tandemkross game changer comp or added weight of the C-more and mount seemed to make the dot bounce less.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/KtntpCS7RkY/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Who makes the cmore mount? I googled staiplin and didn't see anything. A lot of my friends jumped on the sideways cmore bandwagon for uspsa and steel. I have yet to shoot one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Who makes the cmore mount? I googled staiplin and didn't see anything. A lot of my friends jumped on the sideways cmore bandwagon for uspsa and steel. I have yet to shoot one.
View Quote
Sorry for the slow reply, the name is Striplin. Their website is, Striplin Custom Guns

After using her pistol at a couple matches, I am converting my pistol to the C-more and 90 mount. The dot is way brighter and bigger and the view is way bigger.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Dont forget the new upgrade/recall from Ruger on ALL MKIV pistols made before June 1st of this year.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#18]
What started out as upgrading Ruger 22/45 frames with Volquartsen parts has turned into purchasing Volquartsen 1911 Target frames. The added benefits for me are closer tolerances on all moving parts, the adjustable barrel lug which has allowed me to make six uppers fit three different frames just using hand pressure. The consistency of the triggers is great. Not to mention the fit of the grip to my hand is the best of any gun I have owned. I run four Ruger and two PacLite uppers and have never been as happy with any firearms in my 44 years of shooting as with these guns.

Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Don't forget the new upgrade/recall from Ruger on ALL MKIV pistols made before June 1st of this year.
View Quote
News to me.  Thanks for the heads up.
My serial number data was entered, and now I wait for the box to send it back.  (Ruger is paying for the shipping both ways.)

Link
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top