Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2017 9:59:07 PM EDT
I already have a 22/45 MK2 and never really liked the grip angle of the std Ruger .22 pistols. There is however, a really nice looking MKI heavy taper 6in barrel model at the LGS I almost picked up yesterday. should I go back and grab it at $339.00?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 11:32:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always liked my bull barrel Mark I Ruger. It's the only one of the series (and I have them all) that had a decent target trigger right out of the box. However, I suspect that the quoted asking price is a little high.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll disagree somewhat with the post above regarding triggers based on experience with a number of Ruger .22 LR pistols.   Ruger has its fair share of variation in quality of trigger pulls, but:

in general,

- Ruger Mk II triggers are better than Mk I triggers; and
- Ruger Mk III triggers are not as good as the Mk I and II triggers.

However there is a enough overlap that some Mk I triggers will be better than some Mk II triggers, and vice versa.  

Plus the Mk I Target Model was around a long time before the Mk II showed up (1950-1982) and the Mark I Bull Barrel Target was around for almost 20 years before the Mk II showed up (1963-1982).  Which means there was ample opportunity for Bullseye competitors to have the Mk I triggers worked on, before aftermarket triggers became common.

You'll find the Mk I Target models with the 6 7/8" heavy taprered barrel, the rare 5 1/4" heavy tapered barrel, and the most numerous 5 1/2" bull barrel models with both plastic and wood grips, as wood grips were a factory option as well as an aftermarket accessory.

MK I Target with 6 7/8" barrel (T678), and Mk II Bull Barrel Target with 5 1/2" barrel (MK512).

Only 1 of the 4 pistols above still has the original trigger, as it was already quite good when I acquired it.   The others all have Volquartzen target triggers and sears. You can buy those parts for about $70 total and install them yourself.  The produce an excellent trigger pull and it incorporates an adjustable trigger stop.  

I tried the Volquartzen lightweight hammer and firing pin 15 or so years ago and encountered problems with light strikes.   It theoretically improves the lock time, but the lighter, faster hammer also has less momentum.    However, your experience might be better than mine depending on your pistol, and your ammo.

-----

I like the way the  6 7/8" heavy tapered barrel Mk Is and II's balance, and they will shoot just as well as the much more common 5 1/2" bull barrel pistols, with the benefit of a longer sight radius.   The weights on the two pistols are almost identical as the slight taper of the T678 offsets the extra length.

And $339 is a very good deal for a T678 if it's in very good to excellent condition.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the info. It looked to be in very good condition but I only saw it in the case. Now I'll have to go back and buy it tomorrow.

I'll post pics if I snag it before someone else does.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:06:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I would buy it.  On that note, I just recently bought a MK1 with a 6 7/8 in. tapered bull barrel, thumb rest wood grips, adjustable micro rear sight and it has a factory muzzle break. Serial no. puts its manufacture date as 1951. Grips have the red eagle emblem.
It does not have the "US" stamp. I've owned many MKII's and a MIII. The first gun I ever shot in my life was my Dad's Mk1. That was 59 yrs ago when I was 6 yrs old.  I saw this special Mk1 and just had to have it. Mainly because it was the first gun I shot and the rarity of it with a factory muzzle break.  It is in great shape for a gun this old. I'd put it at 95% grade with all the bluing there with minor wear. Paid $293 OTD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I can buy a new 5 1/2" Mark III locally for that price. I would pass.

The Mark I series magazines hold 9 rounds, not 10.

I don't think they lock open on the last shot.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I always like the balance, in my hand, of the 5.5" bull barrel vs. the 6&7/8" tapered barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
A Mk III 512 is a piece of crap compared to a Mk I or MK II, and it's on close out - of course you can get a MK III for less.  I could get one too, but I sure as hell don't want one.

The original MK I series magazines were 9 rounds, but they are also scarce and collectible. You can still get new Ruger Magazines for a MK I and they hold 10 rounds.  You can also use a Mk II magazine in a "new model" Mk I, and it again holds 10 rounds.

They don't lock open on the last round, but you can pull the bolt back, apply the safety and lock the bolt open.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A Mk III 512 is a piece of crap compared to a Mk I or MK II, and it's on close out - of course you can get a MK III for less.  I could get one too, but I sure as hell don't want one.

The original MK I series magazines were 9 rounds, but they are also scarce and collectible. You can still get new Ruger Magazines for a MK I and they hold 10 rounds.  You can also use a Mk II magazine in a "new model" Mk I, and it again holds 10 rounds.

They don't lock open on the last round, but you can pull the bolt back, apply the safety and lock the bolt open.
View Quote
I own two Mark II Rugers and can see no difference whatsoever between mine and the current Mark III's. I dislike the 22/45 models and won't buy them, but that's based on looks and how they fit in my hand. Exactly what is inferior in your view about the Mark III Ruger's? From what I've seen they are better. They come from the factory with more options and better scope rails than ever.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
It's the extra stuff that reduces the appeal of the Mk III. The loaded chamber indicator ruins the lines and the magazine safety degrades the trigger pull.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll disagree somewhat with the post above regarding triggers based on experience with a number of Ruger .22 LR pistols.   Ruger has its fair share of variation in quality of trigger pulls, but:

in general,

- Ruger Mk II triggers are better than Mk I triggers; and
- Ruger Mk III triggers are not as good as the Mk I and II triggers.

However there is a enough overlap that some Mk I triggers will be better than some Mk II triggers, and vice versa.  

Plus the Mk I Target Model was around a long time before the Mk II showed up (1950-1982) and the Mark I Bull Barrel Target was around for almost 20 years before the Mk II showed up (1963-1982).  Which means there was ample opportunity for Bullseye competitors to have the Mk I triggers worked on, before aftermarket triggers became common.

You'll find the Mk I Target models with the 6 7/8" heavy taprered barrel, the rare 5 1/4" heavy tapered barrel, and the most numerous 5 1/2" bull barrel models with both plastic and wood grips, as wood grips were a factory option as well as an aftermarket accessory.

MK I Target with 6 7/8" barrel (T678), and Mk II Bull Barrel Target with 5 1/2" barrel (MK512).

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h470/SDBB57/Rimfires/CB0E9F14-FD83-4BA0-A8AE-31517CFC8AF3_zps39btj2pw.jpg

Oh That pic causes regret!  In 1980 or 81 I bought one of the models identical to the top pistol in that pic and it was to this day the best shooting .22 handgun I've ever owned or fired. I was young and ate up with terminal dumbass and I traded it for something shinier (Don't recall what now) but I could kick myself every time I see one of them.

Someday I'll stumble across one on GB or locally I can afford and that one will stay with me forever.

Nice looking pistola's DakotaFAL!

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 11:41:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last year I bought three new factory Ruger plastic-base magazines for my Mk I. NONE of them hold 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I finally bought it. It has been down at the LGS for several weeks so they cut me a deal, $325 OTD.

Looks like it's been fired very little even though it was made in 1980.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Came with one mag but that's OK, it's a range toy, not a defensive weapon.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Very nice. I'd have been all over that.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Standard and Mark I models do not lock back on last shot empty mag.  However, you can pull back the bolt, engage the safety and the bolt will lock open even without the magazine being inserted.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I happened to find a '85 stainless heavy taper with a Pac-lite upper for a killer deal. it followed me home.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 10:38:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice, I'll bet it a good shooter too.

I have a stainless MKII 6 7/8 target model.  I carried it coon hunting for years, it's killed a truckload of coons.  I don't remember a single malfunction that wasn't ammo related. And it got cleaned about once a year whether it needed it or not
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Well I finally bought it. It has been down at the LGS for several weeks so they cut me a deal, $325 OTD.

Looks like it's been fired very little even though it was made in 1980.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN4317-210400.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/108158/DSCN4318-210402.JPG

Came with one mag but that's OK, it's a range toy, not a defensive weapon.
View Quote
You did WELL in my opinion OP! From the pics I'd give it a very conservative 90+% condition grade... But it's all likely in even better condition than that! Midway has Mark II mags on sale now as I received (3) today. Check out Midway to see if they are offering the same deal on Mark I mags. It gets old real quick loading that 1 single mag over and over. My Mark II 5.5" bull-barrel, (bought last week) is in about 95% condition and appeared to sit in a safe all it's life; I got it for $313 off Gun Broker... of course that was before $25 shipping and my FFL's fee. It's a 1990 date of manufacture and I like it a hell of a lot better than my old Mark III I sold.

I like the Mark II so much I bought another 4" taper barrel Mark II in similar condition off Gun Broker for $228; of course before shipping and FFL fee. I pick it up tomorrow. Enjoy your new Mark I. I know you will!
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You did WELL in my opinion OP! From the pics I'd give it a very conservative 90+% condition grade... But it's all likely in even better condition than that! Midway has Mark II mags on sale now as I received (3) today. Check out Midway to see if they are offering the same deal on Mark I mags. It gets old real quick loading that 1 single mag over and over. My Mark II 5.5" bull-barrel, (bought last week) is in about 95% condition and appeared to sit in a safe all it's life; I got it for $313 off Gun Broker... of course that was before $25 shipping and my FFL's fee. It's a 1990 date of manufacture and I like it a hell of a lot better than my old Mark III I sold.

I like the Mark II so much I bought another 4" taper barrel Mark II in similar condition off Gun Broker for $228; of course before shipping and FFL fee. I pick it up tomorrow. Enjoy your new Mark I. I know you will!
View Quote
I have my step-dad's pre-mk1 standard. It's one of my most favorite and sentimental handguns.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#19]
nice looking pistol, I'd have paid that

I have a Mk III 6&7/8in tapered target that I put a magazine bushing in. That did a few things: got rid of the stupid magazine disconnect, made the mags drop free, and improved the trigger pull

anyway though that Mark I looks pretty damn nice

once you get a chance to shoot it, post pics of your groups
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I took it out a couple weeks ago and fired it. It was flawless with several types of ammo. I didn't

take any pics of the groups because I was shooting steel pop up targets but it seemed to be dialed in already.

I didn't have to adjust the sights and was hitting 80-90% of what I was shooting at with several ammo types.

I'll punch some paper next time out and post it up.

I did take it apart and give it a good cleaning (not that it was very dirty to begin with) and it looks

like new inside. I don't think it had 50 rounds through it before I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Had the Ruger powers that be (those that took over after Bill) been wise enough to stop at the Standard and MKI Targets (5 1/2" and 6 7/8") they'd have proved their wisdom and not ruined an excellent pistol design.

I think we are up to recall #2 on the MKIV.  They aren't making them better.  They are making them for less money (thus trying to increase the profit margin) and making them out of parts that will have no where near the life span as the steel parts from the earlier pistols.

Old Bunnie Killer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top