Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 8:37:28 PM EDT
Bought a 22/45 lite for dedicated suppressor host, but been considering a buckmark instead because of the type of action it has. Seems it would go longer between cleaning as opposed to the ruger. 22s are dirty but especially so when suppressed, and start malfunctioning quicker.

If I get the buckmark I'll wind up trading in the ruger. Moneys not an issue but I'll lose some on the trade plus I'll have to spend $200 for the tacsol threaded barrel. Thats roughly $300-400 bucks to invest.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:53:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Buckmark, and it seems way longer between cleanings than my MK II.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:28:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Meh, both blowback .22s, kind of a 6 of one, half dozen of the other type situation, I have a Buckmark with a Trail lite barrel that I only ever shoot suppressed.

A good friend of mine has a 22/45 Lite with a can that usually shoots with me.

Once a month or so we'll sit there and go through like a thousand rounds plinking, I put a drop oil it occasionally and I only clean it when it starts hiccuping . He does the same thing and we've probably cleaned our guns the same number of times over the last year or 2.

The Buckmark is a wee bit easier to disassemble but the 22/45 isn't as bad as people make it sound, and now they have the new version of it too.

Side note, Look at the S&W Victory series. Seem pretty nice messing with it in a store.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:00:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I think any model of the Ruger MK series is better to take apart and clean... as it affects the rear sight zero on the Buckmark.   On the other hand, there is hardly any need to take apart a Buckmark as they are a very open design.   Spray it out.   Hit it with some Q-Tips.   Run a BoreSnake through it.  Add just a little lube.  Go!  (See photo below.)

Your best bet is to read through the threads here regarding rimfire pistols

For the Ruger, add at least $100 to the price of the Ruger to get a decent trigger.

With a new Buckmark, you pull it out of the box, take off the top rail and remove the slide, flip the sear spring, remove the grips and pull the connector bar off the mag safety, clean the gun, and reassemble to enjoy a nice 2-2.5 lb trigger.

Here is my Buckmark with a factory 4.4" threaded barrel, as an example.  All factory internal parts resulting in a 2 to 2.5 pound trigger pull.

Or consider the    Buck Mark Field Target Suppressor

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Now, ultimately, this is YOUR gun.   Get the one you really dig.    If you like the new Ruger MK IV, 22/45 Lite, get it!   Spend some on the trigger and enjoy a great gun.   Or, hunt a while for a threaded Buckmark. You don't have to spend much on them, but they are much harder to find.   The Buckmark does not require disassembly to scrub it down well.   The new MK IV is super easy to break down and clean.  

Both can be turned into awesome guns for a person who knows what they want.    If you are a Ruger MK series guy, stick to that platform.   If not, go try out a Buckmark.

Suppressed?  Maybe the open design of the Buckmark might be a slight advantage... maybe.

One other thing to note.    The Ruger MK series is ... unique.   The upper receiver, the barreled portion is the serial numbered gun.   Replacing barrels is another 4473.   Such is not the case with the Buckmark.   Barrel replacement with the Buckmark is simple and straightforward.                

Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think any model of the Ruger MK series is better to take apart and clean... as it affects the rear sight zero on the Buckmark.   On the other hand, there is hardly any need to take apart a Barkmark as they are a very open design.   Spray it out.   Hit it with some Q-Tips.   Run a BoreSnake through it.  Add just a little lube.  Go!  
View Quote
+1

This has been my experience also.

I got rid of my Ruger when I saw how easy it was to clean a Buckmark.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
As a side note regarding cleaning the Browing Buckmark,  I stripped it down recently when I added/replaced the top rail.   It was not appreciably dirty from not being completely broken down.   That confirmed the gun does not need to be torn down for routine cleaning.

I do push Q-tips with solvent down the bore and swab out the chamber before running the boresnake.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Buckmark .
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I just fired a friend's Ruger Mk IV Lite suppressed yesterday, we shot an entire brick of Gemtech Subsonic thru it.

And I have to admit the new Ruger Mk IV's, are really easy to take apart & reassemble.  But even after 500 rounds,

it wasn't very dirty at all.  We didn't have a Buckmark for comparison, but my next .22lr pistol will be a Ruger Mk IV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top