Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2017 9:13:46 PM EDT
I have a few browning buck marks and I'm using two as suppressor hosts.

The safety on the buck mark engages a notch in the slide which prevents it from moving while the safety is engaged.

I was wondering if anyone ever modified the safety in a manner that would disable the safety from functioning, and thus only making it a slide lock to prevent the pistol from cycling for single-shot use while suppressed.

Granted this is a novelty in concept only, but I was thinking about doing such a mod to one of my hosts to eliminate the action cycling noise while firing the pistol with the suppressor attached.

Feasible or not?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 8:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a few browning buck marks and I'm using two as suppressor hosts.

The safety on the buck mark engages a notch in the slide which prevents it from moving while the safety is engaged.

I was wondering if anyone ever modified the safety in a manner that would disable the safety from functioning, and thus only making it a slide lock to prevent the pistol from cycling for single-shot use while suppressed.

Granted this is a novelty in concept only, but I was thinking about doing such a mod to one of my hosts to eliminate the action cycling noise while firing the pistol with the suppressor attached.

Feasible or not?
View Quote

I don't have any experience with what you're asking so cannot contribute technically but I will say disabling a properly functioning OEM safety device on any firearm is a terrible idea.

Wouldn't using  your thumb behind the slide, holding it closed during firing, accomplish the same thing?

I remember doing that with my Ruger MKII many years ago to see what would happen. Worked fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wouldn't using  your thumb behind the slide, holding it closed during firing, accomplish the same thing?
View Quote

That sure wouldn't be my first choice to solve the problem.

As a matter of fact, it wouldn't even be on the list.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Might I ask why?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Might I ask why?
View Quote

Nothing personal, but it just would never strike me as a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 1:50:44 PM EDT
[#5]
No offense taken, I was just curious.

I and 2 good friends have done this with a couple of Ruger MKII's, a S&W 622 and my friends Beretta (more difficult because of needing to keep your thumb away from the exposed hamner falling) many years ago with no problems I assure you.

The reason why  we were doing it has long escaped my memory but there's no reason why it wouldn't work with the Browning too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 11:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Only problem with holding the slide closed for me is it make the grip awkward, so I'd prefer not to. I don't think I would mess with the thumb safety though.

I remember some police training videos dealing with firearms retention and if you thought you were going to lose your gun, hold your them behind the slide(Glock) and fire the chambered round in the dirt. Seemed overly complicated and bad tactics, but I tried it. As long as you are holding it closed, not just putting your thin in the way, it works and doesn't hurt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I've held the slide closed on the .22 many times before, no issue there. When I get some free time I'm going to tear one down and see how the safety engages. I'll let you know how t goes. Regarding it being a terrible idea, yea I suppose glocks and revolvers are stupid too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've held the slide closed on the .22 many times before, no issue there. When I get some free time I'm going to tear one down and see how the safety engages. I'll let you know how t goes. Regarding it being a terrible idea, yea I suppose glocks and revolvers are stupid too.
View Quote
Well a Glock with the safety disabled / modded is sort of stupid as is a revolver with the  sear messed with making it unsafe.

would it not be better to modify the slide stop/release ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But it would be entertaining................  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top