Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2017 12:02:19 PM EDT
What are some reasons for where you've mounted your red dot sight on a pistol's rail?  All the way forward?  Back against the rear sight?  Does it matter?

I just got a Vortex Venom for my sorta-Ruger 22/45 pistol.  I haven't had a chance to sight it in yet, but once I do I don't want to move the sights to a different location.  

Where did you mount yours and why?
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 8:30:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Haven't tried a red dot on a 22/45, just a S&W Victory and a Buckmark.  Tried a cheap reflex and red dot and
ended up mounting them as close to the rear sight as the rail allowed.  Definitely a personal preference thing
but for me, I didn't like the weight of the pistol with the red dot closer to the barrel.  The reflex was light enough
that it didn't matter.  I liked having the sight closer to my eyes in all cases though.  Seemed easier to focus on the
dot.  I primarily use both the Buckmark and Victory for bullseye shooting.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 6:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought I was happy with mine on the Ruger rail with the sight mounted forward then I tried the Burris dove tail mount. Wow what a difference, because the sight is over your hand acquiring the dot is so much faster. On my rifles I prefer using a scout rifle position.

Link Posted: 2/8/2017 2:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I normally mount mine where ever the look (to me) the best and balance the best.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 12:30:10 AM EDT
[#4]
OK, I've got it mounted all the way back against the rear sight.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
The closer to the muzzle, the more apparent wobble there will be, but if you can tame it you'll be shooting with more precision.

Mounting it towards the rear tames the apparent wobble at the expense of some precision; how much; depends on the skill of the individual shooter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top