Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2017 4:34:25 PM EDT
Along with being fun, some sub-caliber practice is useful when not much else is possible:  (i.e., Arm just out of sling from shoulder surgery.  Any thing more than a .22LR vibrates the repairs too much.)  Actually a Glock 22 frame with AA kit on it.

After a certain point, holes become a HOLE.

Keep in mind with most shoulder-elbow-hand surgery, there is a sling or cast period of 4-5-6 weeks.  AFTER that, use is restricted during professional physical therapy by your doc for at least a total of 3 months after the surgery.  It takes that long for scar tissue to re-attach what ever was cleaned up, re-attached, or other wise modified.  If you start using it too soon, things pull loose and most cannot be re-done.

A centerfire pistol is too much vibration and repetition for any hand-elbow-shoulder work.  A centerfire revolver is even worse.  The Glock AA .22LR is pretty mild.  Even the AirWeight .22LR S&W has some recoil.  One big effort or a lot of small ones can un-do some really complicated work.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just had my shoulder completely rebuilt almost three months ago. Just now working at getting movement back in it. Hopefully soon will be able to go out and shoot. Might have to get a 22lr pistol since I don't have one to make it easier to get back into it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a S&W 43c also?

I just got one, and though I've only had it out once I'm impressed so far.
Maybe because it's so expensive, but I've not found many reviews of that gun.
Of course the trigger is a little stiff.
I found some left over Wolff rebound springs from when I had a 317 and dropped a 15lb one in there.
Looking forward to shooting it again.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  A Glock 22 frame with an AA 17/22 LE kit on it.

The revolver is a S&W M43c AirWeight .22LR.  You need to carefully consider screwing with the springs.  As made, the high strength springs work perfectly for functioning the revolver.  It needs every bit of its hammer power to fire the rimfire .22LR ammo.  The return spring usually is matched to the hammer spring.  Balanced is the word.  

As shipped, the 43c's will fire CCI products, Remington Golden Bullets but not their junk bulk lines, have a lot of failures to fire with Federal products, and FAIL to ignite a lot of WW's crap ammo whether boxed or bulk.  Changing the hammer spring to lighter will make it even worse.

Same problem with the 351c.  They won't fire older .22WMR ammo.  They work perfectly with modern expensive self defense .22WMR ammo from Hornady, Speer, and Winchester.

Both the 43c and 351c have a hammer spring strut that is a total crap stamping not even de-flashed.  It catches and drags on the hammer spring both ways.  IF the hammer spring strut corners are de-flashed and IF properly lubricated, about 2# comes off the trigger pull.  The guns are shipped totally dry from the factory inside.

As an aside, the stocks on the 43c are a slight mod of an old S&W wood set.  They are about perfect for my 2XL glove size hand.  The closest thing made is an Altamont grip with a similar profile, but different contouring in width.  They are about perfect for smaller hands and work with mine.

Both in profile:

S&W modified grips on 43c.  Originally, they had a big bulb on the bottom which I evened out a little straighter.  I retained the wide part where the recoil hits the thumb/trigger finger web.  Note the even width and straight sides:

Altamont grips on S&W M&P340.  You can see how they are contoured width wise.  If I were making them, they would be slightly wider at the thumb/trigger finger web in the curved part of the back strap.  That would help them absorb recoil where it whacks the most.  As made, they are vastly better then the junk S&W rubber stocks.  An American company and easy to deal with.

Grips get expensive.  The old long out of use S&W stock I modified a little is about $150 a set on the rare occasion you see one.  The Altamont stock is roughly half that price.  

http://www.altamontco.com/pistol-grips/smith-and-wesson/j-round/

Something is necessary on these light guns because the stocks on the factory Smith guns are completely shiest quality.  They are skinny in the wrong place and hit hard just where the recoil is concentrated.  Its like they expect them to be taken off and thrown away.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I put 80 rounds through the 43c the first time out.
Went through my .22 ammo box: Rem. Golden bulk pack and bucket, Win. and Federal bulk, CCI MiniMags, CCI standard velocity, maybe a few others.
No misfires so far.

The original rebound spring is around 18 pounds in these guns.
I got the spring kit from Wolff (13, 14, and 15) when I had the snub nose 317 and put the 14 pound in it.
No failures in a few hundred rounds.
Now I have the 15 in the 43c.
I won't tolerate misfires so if I get any, the stock spring will go back in there.
Leaving the hammer spring alone for sure.

And yes, it was dry inside.
With my 3" model 63, I just put a couple of drops down by the hammer, in around the mainspring, and trigger.
Seemed to take pounds off of the pull.
I lubed the 43c up with Extreme Weapon Lube while I had it open.

I like the way those Altamonts look.
Hadn't considered them for the 43c but after seeing your pictures, I may have to order some of those.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top