Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2016 6:12:08 PM EDT
So whats the recommended procedure for cleaning a Buckmark?  I read the manual, and was surprised to see it made no mention of field stripping, only to clean from the muzzle end.

Are we supposed to break these down for cleaning?  Seems like correctly lubricating it would be difficult without disassembling it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Just take it apart and clean it.

I detail strip mine very rarely.  Mostly I just brush out the slide/chamber area and lube it up.

Use blue lock-tite on the screws upon re-assembly.  They'll shoot loose otherwise.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#2]
The Buckmark can be a real pain to reassemble. I take mine all apart once a year and clean/lube it up real nice. Love the gun.

Vince
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Buckmark can be a real pain to reassemble. I take mine all apart once a year and clean/lube it up real nice. Love the gun.

Vince
View Quote

thats what i figured when i saw they didn't include field stripping instructions...

So, without field stripping, what are the lubrication points for this firearm?  
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 12:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
As long as you have it apart, do the quick trigger fix by hand polishing the fcg very lightly and flipping the sear spring.

ETA:  I find Buckmarks easier to field strip than the Rugers.  There are a lot of videos on YouTube that are pretty good.  I used to have a link to a good one (tried to find it but its gone).  If I find it, I'll post the link here.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I never found mine hard to reassemble. I used to frequently take the rear sight base and slide off for cleaning. That was years ago when I used to shoot it a lot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a buck-mark that has around 10,000 rounds through it.

I cleaned it whenever it started to jam due to excessive fouling.

Which was every 1-2k rounds or so (of dirty old bulk crap).

Haven't shot it for years.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I typically take off the rear sight base for cleaning when it starts to foul up too. Not really difficult to clean this way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#8]
If you take the sights off, you slightly impact the alignment.  

I generally don't take them apart anymore.    I spray them with gun  scrubber  or throttle body cleaner, a little wd40, then clean  with q-tips and a bore snake.    I finish up with a few drops of lube.

The gun  is very open and easy to clean out.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you take the sights off, you slightly impact the alignment.  

I generally don't take them apart anymore.    I spray them with gun  scrubber  or throttle body cleaner, a little wd40, then clean  with q-tips and and bore snake.    I finish up with a few drops of lube.

The gun  is very open and easy to clean out.
View Quote

Im guessing gun scrubber won''t harm the finish than?

do you take the grips off when using it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

No, it's fine for finishes.

do you take the grips off when using it?

No need to, IMO. IIRC, the right side grip holds some things in place, so I'd leave the grips alone.

As others mention, spray it, scrub the chamber & bore, swab the bore & then lube it. I've never taken my apart in owning it for almost ten years now.

My .o2
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, it's fine for finishes.

No need to, IMO. IIRC, the right side grip holds some things in place, so I'd leave the grips alone.

As others mention, spray it, scrub the chamber & bore, swab the bore & then lube it. I've never taken my apart in owning it for almost ten years now.

My .o2
View Quote

This is where I am now. When I bought mine, I first went through the dissembly to clean. Somewhere along the line I realized it wasn't really necessary. I have no idea how many rounds have gone through it. I added a TacSol rail and Burris Fastfire about 5 years ago. That was the last time it was taken apart.  Follow the procedures above and it'll run just fine.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine started ftf/fte the other day.

Its still pretty new, but has never done that before.

Ill try the above.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Mine started ftf/fte the other day.

Its still pretty new, but has never done that before.

Ill try the above.
View Quote

Check all your screws.  blue lock-tite is your friend on the Buckmark.

I've had the barrel screw and grip screws work loose and cause malfunctions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Check all your screws.  blue lock-tite is your friend on the Buckmark.

I've had the barrel screw and grip screws work loose and cause malfunctions.
View Quote
I'll pick up some more blue loctite today,  just noticed over the weekend i was out.

Thank you!

ETA: Got loctite this afternoon, checked it out this evening, sure enough, rear screw loose (like my wife didnt know I had a screw loose).

tyvvm!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 5:25:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I seldom take them apart. Just clean the breech area with a soft brush and oil where the slide contacts the frame.

Been doing that for years, just shot one of mine today and it was great.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 9:36:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I seldom take them apart. Just clean the breech area with a soft brush and oil where the slide contacts the frame.

Been doing that for years, just shot one of mine today and it was great.
View Quote

I have over 1K rds through my 2 year old buckmark and I have never stripped mine nor felt the need to do so.  I clean mine by gently scrubbing and wiping off the breech face, slide, extractor, spring guide area,and running a boresnake through. I've only used eezox on it so everything wipes clean with little effort.  

This gun was sent back to Browning when I first bought it because it didn't feed well and there was a bad cosmetic flaw on the slide.  Browning replaced the slide, fixed the feeding issue, and I have never had an single failure since.  My kids love this gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top