Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2016 2:22:55 PM EDT
Seen one guy on line has one and some people pointed out he had some play (slight) between the frame and the barrel by the charging handle.
How are yours?
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Got cold feet...cancelled the order.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is tight as a drum, quality is miles ahead of the older MK I,II, III's I have owned.

" />
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 2:54:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine is tight as a drum, quality is miles ahead of the older MK I,II, III's I have owned.

http://<a href=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b389/MBaugh/IMG_2842%20-%20Copy_zpsfp6akgou.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

What kind of optic is that?
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a beautiful gun.

Do the OP, the occaisional gun with defects can make it off the production line.  I would buy one myself if I didn't just buy a MK3 22/45.  If there were any issues Ruger would take care of you.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The IV completes my collection of Marks.  It is easily the best finished Ruger I've
ever had.  They showed a lot of pride in making this one.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
It is a Leupold 2x handgun scope with the Ruger base and Nikon low rings. With the low rings I had to remove the blade from the rear sight and lower it all the way. I have some Warne high rings coming in to see if they will work with the rear sight intact and zeroed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I want one bad, but really want to wait for a threaded version.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll probably pick one up in a couple years after I make sure there's no bugs to work out, but I won't be selling my older Mk II and III's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 1:58:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll probably pick one up in a couple years after I make sure there's no bugs to work out, but I won't be selling my older Mk II and III's.
View Quote

The Mark IV is an evolutionary development, so there really aren't any "unknown" bugs. The "known" bugs are easy to deal with, and you will have to deal with them no matter when you buy it.

The worst thing is the trigger pull. To improve that, you have to get rid of the magazine disconnector.  Just substitute a Mark II hammer and sear. There's a lot of backwards compatibility in this design.

While you're at it, ditch the little magazine ejector at the base of the grip.

The stock trigger is loose and sloppy. I prefer the Clark steel trigger. To install it, you have square off the front corners of the trigger opening in the frame with a needle file. This is a simple job, but you have to do it carefully.

The following is my earlier post on exactly what I did with my pistol:

1. Replaced the "holster-ripper" front sight with a sight from the Ruger Single Six, with the base ground to conform to the Mark IV barrel contour.
2. Removed the magazine disconnector. This is actually an assembly consisting of the hammer, the magazine disconnector itself (which wraps around the hammer), its spring, and the hammer bushing. (The bushing appears to be installed in such a way that it's not easily removable, and it holds the other parts together.) Replaced these parts with a Mark II hammer and bushing. (If you can't find a Mark II hammer, you can do the same thing with a Mark III hammer and Tandemkross bushing.)
3. Replaced the stock sear with a Volquartsen Mark II target sear. This goes a long way toward improving the trigger pull.
4. Replaced the stock trigger with a Clark Custom steel trigger. This required a little fitting. First, the trigger pin hole in the Clark trigger needed just a tiny bit of reaming so that the stock trigger pin would fit. More importantly, I had to do some filing on the frame, at the front of the trigger opening. This is because the Mark IV frame is a one-piece CNC-milled aluminum forging, as compared to the welded-together components of the previous Marks. This difference means that the front inside corners of the trigger opening are rounded, rather than squared. They must be squared off so that the Clark trigger can fit and function correctly. This is a very worthwhile improvement since the stock trigger is very sloppy. In addition, the stock trigger has a nub that engages the magazine. This is totally unnecessary and adversely affects the trigger pull. (The three things that vastly improve the trigger pull are replacement of the trigger, replacement of the sear, and removal of the magazine disconnector.)
5. Removed the little magazine ejector at the base of the grip. This is totally unnecessary once you remove the magazine disconnector.
6. Replaced the magazine release with one from the Mark III. The only difference is that the Mark III release protrudes less. I found that the Mark IV part made it too easy to release the magazine unintentionally.
7. Replaced the stock plastic grips with the laminated wood grips from the Hunter version. This is a vast aesthetic improvement. (Note that the orientation of the medallions on the Mark IV grips is different from that of the previous Marks. They are now perpendicular to the barrel rather than following the slant of the grip.)
View Quote

Some of these things, such as the sight, the magazine release, and the grips, are matters of personal taste.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I recently purchased a stainless Mark IV Hunter.  It looks like a work of art.  Absolutely zero slop in fit or the finish.  Have not had the opportunity to shoot it yet, but I have no doubt it was a excellent purchase even though it's a brand new model.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Do I understand correctly, the IV is easier to take apart and clean also?
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 12:34:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  Do I understand correctly, the IV is easier to take apart and clean also?
View Quote

That's the whole point of the gun.  It shotguns like an AR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:32:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys....very much.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#14]
After handling one a little bit in the shop, I don't think I'm going to get one. The safety killed it for me, and I'm left handed. Didn't like the operation, size, shape, etc.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:15:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is also tight. I have the stainless Hunter model and it feels and looks like Ruger was making a statement.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:43:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine is tight as well. The fit and finish on these things is amazing and has to be seen in person to be fully appreciated.
I got to take mine out yesterday morning for the first time and was very pleased with the results despite the wind moving my target around. I have no doubts when I get my base and scope installed it will be a squirrel killer for sure.

Testing ammo for groups in a 20mph swirling wind is frustrating but beats sitting on the couch. Note the Norma Match group. If the wind wouldn't have been blowing the target forward and backwards it would have been a fine group indeed.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
After handling one a little bit in the shop, I don't think I'm going to get one. The safety killed it for me, and I'm left handed. Didn't like the operation, size, shape, etc.
View Quote

That's really not a problem. There is an O-ring included with them to take the place of the "wrong" side safety.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That's the whole point of the gun.  It shotguns like an AR.
View Quote

....or a shotgun  
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That's really not a problem. There is an O-ring included with them to take the place of the "wrong" side safety.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except that it absolutely is. The O ring takes the place of the right side safety, completely negating the safety for left handers. It also was oddly shaped, was NOT easy to activate/deactivate, and hinged on the wrong side (front instead of back like a 1911). I think Ruger is going to sell a ton of these, but not to me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Except that it absolutely is. The O ring takes the place of the right side safety, completely negating the safety for left handers. It also was oddly shaped, was NOT easy to activate/deactivate, and hinged on the wrong side (front instead of back like a 1911). I think Ruger is going to sell a ton of these, but not to me.
View Quote

I can see why you had an issue with it.  I'm thinking about getting a MkIV sometime soon, and in handling the gun in the store, I wasn't a huge fan of the safety either.  But at the end of the day, this pistol would just be a plinker, so the actuation ergonomics of the safety is a pretty minor issue for me.  But to each their own!  
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I was looking for an excuse to get one to replace a MkIII 22/45 I have.l but the weird safety kills it for me. I really WANTED to like the MkIV...
Link Posted: 1/11/2017 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I handled one @ the show.  The safety on the right hand side, like a 1911 ambi-safety, was bothersome.  But I'll need an ambi-safety for the boy.  It's just a part - it can be cut off or reshaped.  I don't see how it's a deal killer.  There will still be a zillion accessories & parts for it that aren't available for other .22" LR pistols.
Link Posted: 2/13/2017 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was looking for an excuse to get one to replace a MkIII 22/45 I have.l but the weird safety kills it for me. I really WANTED to like the MkIV...
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
You really don't have to replace the hammer and sear.  The bushing is removable fairly easy.  I just pushed mine out and replaced it with one of the aftermarket bushing and spacers made for the Mark IV.  This eliminated the magazine safety and improved the trigger pull.  Here's where I purchased mine http://www.triggersgunparts.com/_p/prd1/4589040471/product/mk-iv-magazine-disconnect-delete

Quoted:

The Mark IV is an evolutionary development, so there really aren't any "unknown" bugs. The "known" bugs are easy to deal with, and you will have to deal with them no matter when you buy it.

The worst thing is the trigger pull. To improve that, you have to get rid of the magazine disconnector.  Just substitute a Mark II hammer and sear. There's a lot of backwards compatibility in this design.

The stock trigger is loose and sloppy. I prefer the Clark steel trigger. To install it, you have square off the front corners of the trigger opening in the frame with a needle file. This is a simple job, but you have to do it carefully.

Some of these things, such as the sight, the magazine release, and the grips, are matters of personal taste.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

1. Replaced the "holster-ripper" front sight with a sight from the Ruger Single Six, with the base ground to conform to the Mark IV barrel contour.
2. Removed the magazine disconnector. This is actually an assembly consisting of the hammer, the magazine disconnector itself (which wraps around the hammer), its spring, and the hammer bushing. (The bushing appears to be installed in such a way that it's not easily removable, and it holds the other parts together.) Replaced these parts with a Mark II hammer and bushing. (If you can't find a Mark II hammer, you can do the same thing with a Mark III hammer and Tandemkross bushing.)
3. Replaced the stock sear with a Volquartsen Mark II target sear. This goes a long way toward improving the trigger pull.
4. Replaced the stock trigger with a Clark Custom steel trigger. This required a little fitting. First, the trigger pin hole in the Clark trigger needed just a tiny bit of reaming so that the stock trigger pin would fit. More importantly, I had to do some filing on the frame, at the front of the trigger opening. This is because the Mark IV frame is a one-piece CNC-milled aluminum forging, as compared to the welded-together components of the previous Marks. This difference means that the front inside corners of the trigger opening are rounded, rather than squared. They must be squared off so that the Clark trigger can fit and function correctly. This is a very worthwhile improvement since the stock trigger is very sloppy. In addition, the stock trigger has a nub that engages the magazine. This is totally unnecessary and adversely affects the trigger pull. (The three things that vastly improve the trigger pull are replacement of the trigger, replacement of the sear, and removal of the magazine disconnector.)
5. Removed the little magazine ejector at the base of the grip. This is totally unnecessary once you remove the magazine disconnector.
6. Replaced the magazine release with one from the Mark III. The only difference is that the Mark III release protrudes less. I found that the Mark IV part made it too easy to release the magazine unintentionally.
7. Replaced the stock plastic grips with the laminated wood grips from the Hunter version. This is a vast aesthetic improvement. (Note that the orientation of the medallions on the Mark IV grips is different from that of the previous Marks. They are now perpendicular to the barrel rather than following the slant of the grip.)

Link Posted: 2/16/2017 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#25]
It's great.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nice. Please elaborate.
View Quote

What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm assuming the bbl wasn't factory. Who did it? How much, etc?  I wish Ruger offered threaded in the regular MK4. Maybe they do and I didn't know it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Mk4 lite owner here. Its the first ruger Ive bought since my last and only one. Its a mk2.

Because of the new design I was weary of exactly what you described. Im sure a few could escape the factory with that issue, so I checked mine before I took it home. The rear button release is a wedge lock type design. Works pretty well.

The only thing I dont like about this gun is it takes a hydraulic press to drop the slide release. After handling a few at the shop it seems this problem is inherent to the lites only. After an inspection I found the release rubs against the inside of the tube from bolt spring pressure. I knocked the top outside edge of it off with a file and that made it a bit better. I think the reg rugers dont have this problem because they're steel, not anodised aluminum which creates more drag on sliding parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I just bought the MK 4 22/45 lite.  In a word it is awesome.  I put a Burris FF3 on it and took it to the range.  After 1 sight adjustment I hawged out the center of the target at 15 yd. Super accurate and consistent.  The trigger isn't great but not bad either, similar to the Glock.  Smooth take up but no grit and breaks around 5lb.  As the poster said above, the bolt release is hard to manipulate so I just ended up sling-shoting the bolt.  If I had to critical, I don't like the safety as you will inadvertently activate it if you like a high grip.  I like the safety on my MK 2 better. Overall, I love this gun.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:07:09 PM EDT
[#31]
All MKlVs manufactured before 6/1/2017 have been recalled due to a design defect that can cause the pistol to fire when the safety is placed in the fire position although the trigger remains untouched.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#32]
I own a mid 1980's Mark III 5.5" Target model that has slop between the frame and the upper receiver. It shoots great, but it definitely bothers me. I used Devcon steel epoxy the last time I had it apart to build up the interference between the forward part of the frame and the underside of the upper receiver. It's better, but not perfect.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:02:35 AM EDT
[#33]
I just ordered a Ruger MKIV Stainless Target. These are post recall. I'll have to get it threaded.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:01:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Welp....glad I didnt get it.
Still want one but...
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#35]
My kid is getting a MK IV Target for Christmas. Other than sending it in for the recall I doubt I'll change anything on it...may add overtravel/pretravel screws to the trigger...but we'll see.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:55:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Get a recall gun if possible, when you send it in ruger will send you an extra mag, or they did for mine!
I have a competition with hunter grips.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Get a recall gun if possible, when you send it in ruger will send you an extra mag, or they did for mine!
I have a competition with hunter grips.
View Quote
Good to know.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#38]
The Ruger rep told me that if your safety has a white dot with an "S" in it, it has been fixed or is post recall.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:11:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The Ruger rep told me that if your safety has a white dot with an "S" in it, it has been fixed or is post recall.
View Quote
Correct.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#40]
I got a jacked up MKIV from a large online gun shop. The gun was ordered before my SW22,  but it took over a week longer to get it. It appeared to have been dropped on the sights. The sights were pretty jacked up, the rear sight blade was broken in half, the grips were scuffed up and the barrel was fucked up. I don't believe it came from Ruger like this. I think the shop I ordered from dropped it and tried to cover it up with touch up bluing on the sights, which would explain why it took so long.

Anyways, one call to Ruger and they had me an RMA and FedEx prepaid shipping label. I just got an email that they are completely replacing my MKIV Stainless Target. Ruger has awesome CS!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top