Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2014 8:16:33 PM EDT

A Beretta Model 71 Jaguar in .22 LR followed me home today. It's one of a recent batch imported by Century Arms, possibly from Israel. In stock form they don't meet the "sporting purposes" criteria under the Gun Control Act of 1968, so to gain points, Century permanently attaches a fake suppressor, which lengthens the barrel so the gun has enough points for civilian sale.

Here's what it looked like on my work bench after I got it home.

The faux suppressor looks cool but is made from steel, and probably weighs as much as the gun. Worse, it blocks the sights. Finally, it prevents you from removing the barrel from the slide when you field strip the piece. It had to go.

After masking the barrel and slide and clamped the fake can in the vise on my milling machine and attacked it with a carbide end mill. This revealed the set screw that Century used to fix the fake silencer in place (the hole that the set screw was in, was filled in with a weld).

Unfortunately, I couldn't budge the set screw, even after applying heat. I had to do more work with my mill and then my Dremel before I was finally able to get the blasted thing off.

That left me with a short section of threaded barrel sticking out. The threads are 1/2 x 20 TPI. So, after dinner I chucked up a length of 5/8" 6061 aluminum rod in my lathe and made a thread protector. First I knurled it, then drilled it out to 29/64", and then threaded it. Finally, I parted it off. It came out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

I've since blackened it with a fat Sharpie. We'll see if that holds.

I'll post a follow up after I shoot it this weekend.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Quanta costa? I've been on a bit of a 22lr pistol binge, after picking up a M&P22 and a S&W 422 and another unique 22 pistol would interest me
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I paid $349.50 OTD.

This morning I ordered a can of matte black Alumahyde II from Brownell's to properly finish the thread protector.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I paid $349.50 OTD.

This morning I ordered a can of matte black Alumahyde II from Brownell's to properly finish the thread protector.
View Quote

Very cool.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 1:04:06 PM EDT
[#4]

I was able to shoot the Beretta Model 71 yesterday.

I shot it with some CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester Super-X high velocity, and Remington Golden Bullet high velocity. As expected the CCI ammo worked the best but it liked the Remingtons better than the Winchester ammo. I had several failures to go into battery on the second round in a mag with the Winchester. This happened once or twice with the GBs but less frequently than with the Super-X. I've previously shot the  Super-X in my Ruger 22/45 Lite and experienced several failures to feed with it.

Overall, the Beretta is a sweet shooting little gun. I plan on spending some time testing various loads on paper to see what it shoots most accurately, and testing what ammo it functions

best with.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My brother has a Jaguar Plinker, pre 1968.  Sweet looking and handling gun.  Some were sold with two barrels, iirc a 4" and a 6".  However, it is so light that it is very difficult to shoot accurately.   BTW, nice work on helping the Century special along to a much better place.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:22:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice Job and great info on the way the fake can is attached.

One thing....Where (o'clock) is the pin located looking at the muzzle end? I cant tell from your pic.

I've removed CAI brakes on L1A1s by cutting them off just forward of the barrel, finding where they put the pin/screw, then cutting length-wise grooves in the stub on two opposite sides (taking care to not hit the threads) wide enough to get a large flat bladed screwdriver in one slot then just twisting.

The stub splits in half and is easily removed without messing with the set screw. It's usually found poking up when you split the halves. Of course it would be much easier to do with a mill rather than the old MK1 eyeball but it goes pretty quick.

You can get a 1/2 x20 to 1/2 x 28 adaptor from Tactical Innovations. I have one I use on a couple of Brit 1/2 x 20 treaded rifles and it works just fine with my can.

I had a Beretta M71 .22 years ago along the same lines but it had a longer barrel with the front sight on the barrel. It was nice shooter but it was neither fish nor fowl trying to find a damn holster for it. Sigh....That was long before Kydex holsters that could have been made to fit it.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

One thing....Where (o'clock) is the pin located looking at the muzzle end? I cant tell from your pic.

I've removed CAI brakes on L1A1s by cutting them off just forward of the barrel, finding where they put the pin/screw, then cutting length-wise grooves in the stub on two opposite sides (taking care to not hit the threads) wide enough to get a large flat bladed screwdriver in one slot then just twisting.

The stub splits in half and is easily removed without messing with the set screw. It's usually found poking up when you split the halves. Of course it would be much easier to do with a mill rather than the old MK1 eyeball but it goes pretty quick.

You can get a 1/2 x20 to 1/2 x 28 adaptor from Tactical Innovations. I have one I use on a couple of Brit 1/2 x 20 treaded rifles and it works just fine with my can.

I had a Beretta M71 .22 years ago along the same lines but it had a longer barrel with the front sight on the barrel. It was nice shooter but it was neither fish nor fowl trying to find a damn holster for it. Sigh....That was long before Kydex holsters that could have been made to fit it.

http://www.armeriamorini.com/images/pistolaberetta71c22150m_0201.jpg
View Quote

IIRC, the pin was located around 6:00 or 7:00 when holding the pistol in the firing position.

I saw the TI thread adapters but with a can on the gun you can't use the sights. I've seen a pic of a Jaguar with a Burris Fastfire or similar microdot sight mounted to the barrel with a custom mount, but I think I'll just stick with using my can on my Ruger 22/45 Lite, and enjoy the Beretta as a nice compact plinker. It's not too noisy with CCI SV.

The pistol in your pic is older than mine. The crossbolt safety is the giveaway. I wouldn't mind getting one of those long barrels for mine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

IIRC, the pin was located around 6:00 or 7:00 when holding the pistol in the firing position.

I saw the TI thread adapters but with a can on the gun you can't use the sights. I've seen a pic of a Jaguar with a Burris Fastfire or similar microdot sight mounted to the barrel with a custom mount, but I think I'll just stick with using my can on my Ruger 22/45 Lite, and enjoy the Beretta as a nice compact plinker. It's not too noisy with CCI SV.

The pistol in your pic is older than mine. The crossbolt safety is the giveaway. I wouldn't mind getting one of those long barrels for mine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never thought about the can height.

That said it would be a option for those that can't make a thread protector. If memory serves you can get just the 1/2 X 20 thread protector but it would be much smaller in diameter than the one you milled out and may or may not cover the threads depending on the length.

You will notice that on the 71 that there is no sight on the slide but I don't suspect the one on yours would be in the way or you could always mill off the FS of the longer barrel if you could find one.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The sight is barrel mounted on mine. There is a slot on top of the slide through which it passes.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]

This evening I got to shoot my Beretta 71 with 3 extra mags: a Bersa 644 magazine, and two Triple K mags made for the Beretta Model 76. I neglected to count how many rounds I put through the pistol tonight but it had to be 200 - 250, all Remington Golden Bullets of recent manufacture. I didn't have any ammo-related issues, although I did notice that the gun tends to spit unburnt powder more with the Remington GBs than with CCI ammo.

The Bersa 644 mag worked very well. It's a snug fit in the Beretta 71's magazine well, but worked fine loaded up to its 10 round capacity, for at least 50 rounds. I had one failure to chamber that was fixed by bumping the back of the slide with my hand.

The two Triple K brand mags were made for the Beretta 76, which has a longer grip than the 71, so they stick out a bit. They also functioned well, although a couple times I had feeding issues on the first round in the mag when it was presented to the chamber at the wrong angle. Paying closer attention on my part to how the mag was loaded would alleviate this. Otherwise, they functioned just fine for at least 50 or 60 rounds through each magazine.

Now that I've confirmed that the Model 76 magazines work, I plan to make spacers from Nylon or Delrin to go around the magazine bodies between the end of the pistol grip and the mag floorplate. They should be pretty easy to make with my mill and a file.

I have two Triple K mags made specifically for the Model 71 on backorder, and two Excam GT-22 mags that I plan to modify to work with the Beretta.

Now that I've put a few hundred rounds through the Beretta Model 71 I can see why it has a it of a cult following. It's a nice, reliable, compact .22 autoloader that's plain fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Just a note: I bought one of these, but found that the threads were severely damaged (2/3 missing) after I removed the faux suppressor - not as a consequence of removing it, they must have been damaged before it ever went on. I would up buying a Tactical Innovations 1/2x20 to 1/2x28 adapter, which seems to have gone on straight enough, but required a fair bit of twisting to get on. Looking forward to trying it with my Sparrow.

I agree that the faux suppressor needs to go, either way - it feels like it weighs almost as much as the gun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I picked up a Model 71 which looks just like this one. I've shot various CCI, Aguila, and Blazer through it, and it is a great pistol. Excellent accuracy, and it has never failed to fire or eject.
I've often thought of having a slim kydex IWB made for it. I wish I could find the short barrel for it. Here it is with its siblings:
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Any news on these?

can one order this directly from Century?
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd be very interested to know where to find one of these as well!
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 6:58:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Try hear

http://www.jgsales.com/beretta-71-semi-auto-pistol,-22lr,-with-faux-suppressor,-8rd-mag,-vg-condition,-used.-p-70878.html

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I recently ordered one from Southern Ohio Gun.  It was in excellent condition with only a few scratches on the grips and the edges of the trigger guard. The barrel and slide appeared to be unfired since it was made in 1973. It was $279 plus shipping and transfer to my FFL.  I was able to easily drill the weld and access the set screw and heated the fake suppressor until the RED Loctite gave way and unscrewed it. It makes an excellent trail gun and is very accurate even at 25 yards with hits on soda cans easily manageable at that distance.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I paid $349.50 OTD.

View Quote

That isnt bad at all. I'd get one at my LGS if he got any in.

I REALLY. want one. Nice purchase!
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:46:35 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a Original one with no import marks, I have owned it for 20 plus Years and it is in excellent condition with the Original Box! And is Very Reliable and Accurate too.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:35:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I almost picked one of these up today, the guy was asking $350 for it and I thought it was too much. He said he was willing to haggle so when I see him next weekend if the price is right I may get it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Reviving and older post, but I'm looking for info..

I just came into possession of one of these pistols.  Ultimately I'd like to sell it (I think).

From what I found on the web, it is a Beretta 71 .22.  The grips are reddish plastic with Jaguar on them.  It has a fixed sights, cross bolt safety, and original 8rd mag.

It is in mint condition, possibly never fired (slide / barrel to frame fit tight).  Alloy frame is stamped with proof marks plus XXIII.

I saw something that stated the XXIIII was a date stamp, possibly 1967.  I'm guessing this is a pre-68 import as well, obviously no import stamps.  Unfortunately I don't have the original box.

What is the realistic value on something like this?  I can post photos if there is a need...
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 2:42:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Got an email today from J&G sales and went for it at 299.99
Then while searching for mags I found them at SOG for 20.00 cheaper with a 10.00 hand pick option lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Fellers, what are your thoughts on this vs say a Ruger 22 for 300$.
I could use a good 22 pistol and love the looks of the 71 but it feels like a good Ruger would just be a more practical purchases.
Could one justify going with a 71 as their only 22 pistol?
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 10:31:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Not sure yet, I have to take the fake can off before I can test it with a real one.
I have a Ruger .22/45 with a tac sol upper and love it.
If its your only .22 this year I say get the beretta. If its your only .22 forever I would get a new Ruger.
The Ruger is still made and has full factory support.
The beretta is no longer made and parts could be a problem. however they may be gone soon at this price and you can always buy a Ruger.

Get both but get the beretta first
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:00:27 PM EDT
[#25]
My 9y/o is having a sleepover so dad is about to FO to his workshop and get this fake can off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top