Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
6/21/2017 8:25:40 PM
Posted: 4/13/2012 10:41:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/13/2012 10:42:15 AM EDT by squirrelslayer1]
I thought about cutting my barrel down to be flush with the grip/frame and putting on a suppressor. I figured the barrel would be about 1 to 1.5" right?
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 1:33:04 PM EDT
You may hit a barn door with it, assuming you were standing on the door at the time.

Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:49:44 PM EDT
I saw a description of the barrel being a free float from the breach out to the end with a O-ring set up at the muzzle end. I am not sure if you can just cut it down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:52:27 PM EDT
I'd be worried about baffle strikes, but maybe I'm ill informed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 6:52:47 PM EDT
Mechanical accuracy wouldn't be affected, really. Barrel length matters little for that.

Kind of a neat idea, let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:27:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LonghunterCO:
I saw a description of the barrel being a free float from the breach out to the end with a O-ring set up at the muzzle end. I am not sure if you can just cut it down.

This, if I were going to try this I'd cut down a steel barrel gun.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 4:39:22 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:14:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Mechanical accuracy wouldn't be affected, really. Barrel length matters little for that.

Kind of a neat idea, let us know how it goes.

I agree , but you then face practical accuracy. The whole thing of not haveing a front sight is bound to affect accuracy a tad

Does one try to hang a sight on the can or do you go to a red dot or something?

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:14:30 AM EDT
Prepare yourself for disappointment with sound levels. Most of the powder will still be burning as it enters the can.
Also, this could only be done on a solid steel barrel.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:22:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2012 5:24:15 AM EDT by squirrelslayer1]
Originally Posted By Deanventure:
Prepare yourself for disappointment with sound levels. Most of the powder will still be burning as it enters the can.
Also, this could only be done on a solid steel barrel.

Well, I guess I should have used a different gun then the one pictured; I would actually be doing this with a regular bull barreled MKIII. I would also be using a Sparrow SS. The whole concept of my project would be to have a compact and suppressed MKIII. Obviously, Gemtech makes a permanent suppressed platform, but I like the idea of having an uber-short barrel with a removable suppressor. The suppressor would take care of any unburned powder or cycling issues. I figured I could easly pick up a used MKIII upper off of gunbroker and have in cut down a threaded. I could also relocate the front sight, or go completely without them; as training would negate a real use for sights, especially at close ranges.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:38:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:46:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/18/2012 5:47:41 AM EDT by ArmaNotSoLite]
Originally Posted By Chris_1522:
Originally Posted By squirrelslayer1:

The suppressor would take care of any unburned powder or cycling issues.

Not necessarily with a barrel THAT short. Again - you'd have probably less than an inch of real rifled barrel with which to build pressure to operate the action.

And it would still be louder than a gun with a barrel long enough to burn the powder. The problem I would be in biggest fear of is bullet stability.

I REALLY like your concept and am considering doing it myself, but here is how I intend to go about it:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa143/friscochris/3900.jpg

The red is the turned down bull barrel inside a reflex can.

Of course, this is a custom made kind of arrangement.

Isn't there a can company that already does something like that? I can't remember who it is though.

ETA) An entire suppressed upper for the MK series. pistols, I mean.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:49:09 AM EDT
Top Top