Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
2/23/2017 5:55:53 PM
Posted: 4/3/2012 5:53:51 AM EST
Is like to put a red dot on my buckmark but I'm on the fence on which one to get. It's mostly for plinking what's best for shooting in full sunlight the tube kind or the open like the fast fire and what moa dot do you guys use

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:00:13 AM EST
Can't speak for higher end uses, but for .22 Bullseye I've just been using a Primary Arms Micro Dot. One of the other, better and much more experienced, shooters is using a simple Bushnell TRS-25 since he needed something quickly and had dropped a chunk on the new pistol. So those are some cheaper options.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:31:25 AM EST
BSA makes some good ones too.
I think they discontinued it, but I have the big 40mm red dot they used to put out. lets you see the dot much faster than the little tubes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:16:41 AM EST
I just got a new BM Hunter and its great so far through 300+ rounds. I picked up a Tru Glow that has red/green and 4 different reticles and I think its nice so far but who knows on durability since it only runs $70ish. I would like to get a Burris FastFire at some point since they are so small and light. Primary Arms has similar sights, so maybe they are worth a look as well for the less expensive route.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 2:44:07 PM EST

I have a couple of the UltraDot Matchdot scopes. I like being able to dial a 2, 4, 6 or 8moa dot for different types of shooting. They have a lifetime warranty. They are tough enough that I use one on a 1911 45acp in competition and have had zero issues. They have a sunshade that can be screwed on.
I had a C-More reflex style sight, but in direct sun it is hard to see. I also have a hard time finding the dot in a reflex style sight.
This is another proof of you get what you pay for. If you buy cheap you will have a cheap reddot. It might work for a while but then the dot will wander , or it will just break. Even if you don't spend much you will have to go through it all over again when it does break.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:51:40 AM EST
I had a 1" tube Ultra Matchdot on my bullseye 41. Sight was good, but the rings were crappy. Swapped out to Warne rings just to keep the thing from moving, and they stopped the shift, but boy was it heavy. Bought a Primary Arms integral base red dot and have shot all season with it- haven't had to futz with it once. Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:49:45 PM EST
Lots of the guys on rimfire central love the ultradot matchdot. I had my heart set on one myself. I wound up getting a millett adjustable dot for about half of the ultradot. I would be happy with either...
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 4:58:01 PM EST
i I have had an Ultradot Matchdot on one of my 1911 .45acp pistols for years. The scope and rings have been rock steady. I haven't had to adjust anything for many years even after thousands of near full power loads. The one I have on my MkII is the same although it does have a lot less recoil.
A lot of NRA Bullseye shooters use them for that reason, as well as the lifetime warranty. They hold zero, even when changing dot sizes. The poi just doesn't change.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:46:58 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/8/2012 12:47:21 AM EST by mauiblue]
I have an Ultradot Matchdot on my Ruger MKIII and an Aimpoint H-1 on my S&W 41. I gravitate more to the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 8:12:25 AM EST
Primary Arms
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:28:27 AM EST
Looks like most of you like the matchdot. Anyone have any experience with the ultradot l/t ?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 10:38:46 AM EST
Originally Posted By evnash:
Primary Arms

Another vote for Primary Arms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 11:35:21 AM EST
Burris fast fire II

Tough and bright. Order it from primary arms for the best price and fast shipping.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:29:35 PM EST
I have a Bushnell TRS-25 and like it very very much. Excellent optic. I also have a Burris Fastfire II. The Fastfire has issues such as not being able to control dot brightness, and the fact that replacing the battery is a pain in the ass. Similar issues on most of the micro red dots.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 8:34:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/13/2012 8:37:35 PM EST by WolfMetalFab]
Having used both a old school aimpoint 9000 5000 XD 2x and a fast fire 2 on my buckmark. I can say I miss the aimpoints tube (just dont twist the front end ) and find myself hunting for the dot in the fastfire from time to time.
IMO I think the fastfire wouldn't be bad on something that points very instinctively and if I had the $$ in hand to do over I would probably be looking at the ultradot match 2.

And Pics

Aimpoint, old setup from '01ish-'08...

Current setup (unless I get a matchdot 2 or somehow fix the aimpoint...)

ETA: wrong aimpoint model...
Top Top