Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 3:53:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine earlier this week and have been itching to take it out. Finally got out this morning and it did not disappoint. My experience with semi auto 22LRs in general has lead me to expect failures so I set out with 4 types of ammo. Minimags, Federal bulk(375 rd box), American Eagle, and CCI Blazer bulk. These all usually perform pretty well in the other 22s I have shot so if there were any real problems I knew I could probably blame the gun. It ate 2 mags of each without a single failure. Then it ate another 2 mags of each and I was all smiles. Almost 200 rounds without issue is excellent for a semi auto 22LR in my book. After that I stuck with just the Federal since I shoot more of it than any other ammo. Before I knew it the whole box was gone. It was an open box when I started so it wasn't the full 375rds but it still looked full. I'd say there were at least 300rds in it. When that was gone I started to work on the Blazer. This was also an open box that looked full. I didn't make it through the entire box but it looks about half full now. Through this entire session I didn't have a single failure to fire, feed, or extract/eject. It just kept going. I don't know the exact total round count but I would put it between 500 and 700 rounds and probably closer to the 700 round count.

The sights had me shooting a little high and left. I'll have to do something about that on my text trip. It wasn't much though. My pistol shooting skills aren't all that great so I won't try and gauge accuracy. There were these ~12" water cubes out in the desert where I was shooting that made a distinctive thwap when I hit them so I spent some time shooting them. There were 2 at ~25 yards that I was pushing around with ease and one at ~50 yards that I was able to hit on my second shot. That is all the accuracy I need.

In the store the trigger wasn't very good. After getting it home though I dry fired it~100 times and just that made a huge improvement. The shooting I did today made it even better. I am actually impressed. From what I have heard the standard centerfire M&P trigger leaves a lot to be desired so I didn't expect much from this.

So there is the good. Now onto the bad. First, I have trouble working the slide release on the right side of the gun. No idea why that is but I am not a lefty so it doesn't really effect me. For those concerned about that you might want to try before you buy. Second, while I didn't have any failures to fire, feed, or eject under normal operation there was an occasional failure to feed just after inserting the magazine. I've always inserted magazines into pistols with a bit of intentive force. Nothing too hard, just enough to make sure the magazine is always seated in the gun properly. When doing this on the M&P22 during slide lock it causes the first round to partially pop up out of the feed lips. When you use the slide release or sling shot the slide the round stove pipes out of the ejection port. It didn't seem to cause any problems when the slide wasn't locked back. Down loading the mags to 11 or 10 rounds did not stop this from happening. This might cause problem for those looking to use it as a training tool in place of a centerfire M&P. For me it isn't a deal breaker since I just wanted a quality 22LR pistol that would eventually be a suppressor host. Casually inserting the slide is good enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#3]
As of this post, there are 4 mags in stock at 44MAG:

Link Posted: 2/21/2012 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Just picked mine up yesterday.
Ran 4 mags thru it just to check function. Everything worked as expected. No problems at all.

The gun looks and feels like a good quality piece; I am very happy so far.

I was also shooting high and to the left with the factory sights but did not have time to adjust them.
I will most likely replace the sights with some fiber optic ones. Just my personal preference.

The trigger is not good. Mushy, creepy, sloppy. I hope it gets better. Failing that, maybe someone will start to make improved parts for it.

I like the safety but not the feel of it.  It does not have the "snick,snick" quality that I enjoy. I may take a look and see if it can be improved by a bit of polishing.

Link Posted: 2/22/2012 6:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ran mine for the first time yesterday...about 4 mags of federal 550 bulk pack were flawless but the federal 350 back kept failing to extract spent shells and not letting the next round feed. Probably every 4th shot.

Oh well i wish the 550 pack wasn't sold out.

Does Remington 550 packs work?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Ran mine for the first time yesterday...about 4 mags of federal 550 bulk pack were flawless but the federal 350 back kept failing to extract spent shells and not letting the next round feed. Probably every 4th shot.

Oh well i wish the 550 pack wasn't sold out.

Does Remington 550 packs work?

I haven't tried the Remington. I will tonight after work.
I know that Blazer has been 100% in mine.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry dog1 I read it but I have slept since then. I will do as you suggested tomorrow.

My rear sight from an m&p center fire pistol installed great and works much better. My front sight is oddly to one side but I don't seem to be shooting to that side so I'm going to leave It alone.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:40:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I run the Rem Golden Bullet Bulk pack in all my .22's.  My M&P is no different.  It shoots well.  I have to sit down and adjust the sights next time I go to the range.

MAHA
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The Mini mag trick is the one I used on my SIG P220 SAO 22lr. After about 100 rounds of that, it was flawless. Prior to the Mini Mags, I was having a FTF once or twice a mag.

Go figure.

Was that you I sent the sight to?

I'm being pulled in 100 directions at once I cannot remmeber.

Yup, it's sick! After I figured out I needed to remove the screw out of the old sight (not the hex) It went much easier haha...that poor sight was beat to crap.

The new one had a tad bit of dust in one of the dots but some white nail polish has it looking like new! So much easier to aim now...
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 5:39:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I hated the stock rear sight because the notch was not low enough. Getting a good sight picture proved to be difficult. So I switched it out. Much better now.

They fit normal M&P sights?  

The rear does. I stuck a spare rear I had in the dovetail, before I put the 10-8 in.

I have a few lying around if you want to try them.

Do you still have a spare rear that you would want to sell?
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:32:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I hated the stock rear sight because the notch was not low enough. Getting a good sight picture proved to be difficult. So I switched it out. Much better now.

The rear does. I stuck a spare rear I had in the dovetail, before I put the 10-8 in.

I might have one you can have, let me double check.

If not I do.
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 4:36:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I might have one you can have, let me double check.

If not I do.

If I don't hear back from Dog1, I will take you up on that offer

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/27/2012 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I cannot find the extra rear sight. Hopefully TC can hook you up.

Sorry.

No worries. Thanks much for looking for it.

Link Posted: 2/27/2012 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

IM me your info and it is yours.
Link Posted: 2/28/2012 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

IM incoming and thank you
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 6:03:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice review here is my thoughts on mine!

M&P22
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Watch Grabagun for mags. I snagged 3 off there for $25/piece. They come and go.
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 7:22:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice review Dog1.

If anyone else has a spare OE rear I have pp or AR parts at the ready, just PM me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks, Dog1. As I said in my PM, you helped me to decide and I picked one up for $339 delivered (plus xfer, my gunsmith does them cheap).
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:24:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ok figured it out...

got the safety removed. Took me awhile;)

I think i'm going to leave the magazine disconnect it seems a bit complicated.

How'd you remove the safety? I just picked mine up from my FFL and that safety gets in the way of a proper grip for me.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:28:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
ok figured it out...

got the safety removed. Took me awhile;)

I think i'm going to leave the magazine disconnect it seems a bit complicated.

How'd you remove the safety? I just picked mine up from my FFL and that safety gets in the way of a proper grip for me.

Punch out the rear roll pin.  Slowly pull the internal frame out far enough that you can pull the thumb safeties just straight off.  Push the internal frame back in and put a pin punch in place to keep the parts lined up because of the mainspring wanting to push it pack out.  Punch the roll pin back into place.  Once everything is back in place, make sure the safety lever is in the down position on the left hand side.  You can push it down with the roll pin punch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#27]
thank you sir! That was my only complaint about the fit of the pistol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 8:05:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
thank you sir! That was my only complaint about the fit of the pistol.

Mine too and those came off the night it came home with me.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

Did you ever get my PM? If not I will resend.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

No I didn't sorry man.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 5:32:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry.

No I didn't sorry man.

Resending.

Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I'll piggyback my quick & dirty range review here.

I was finally able to get to the range and give it a good workout.  So far I've put about 200 rounds of various brands of ammo through the gun, including CCI Stingers, CCI Standard Velocity and a couple of boxes of Federal American Eagle that were probably close to 20 years old.  So far I've had 3 failures to fire that appear to have been due to bad ammunition (good hits on the case, but the round didn't fire).

Here's my tester enjoying shooting the M&P 22 Pistol.  This was the 2nd time that she's ever fired a handgun.  At 7 yards she was able to fire palm-sized groups.

Overall I'm pleased as can be with the pistol.  Recommended++
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 2:42:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Damn, thought I finally decided on a SR22, then I saw this thread
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Punch out the rear roll pin.  Slowly pull the internal frame out far enough that you can pull the thumb safeties just straight off.  Push the internal frame back in and put a pin punch in place to keep the parts lined up because of the mainspring wanting to push it pack out.  Punch the roll pin back into place.  Once everything is back in place, make sure the safety lever is in the down position on the left hand side.  You can push it down with the roll pin punch.

Thanks for the simple instructions! I just got my M&P22 home and removing the safeties was a top priority on my list. It took all of about 3min.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the simple instructions! I just got my M&P22 home and removing the safeties was a top priority on my list. It took all of about 3min.

You are welcome glad it was easy!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#36]
i think the gun sucks. My training partner has sent it back to S&W twice already. It will not shoot more than a round or two before FTF. Does not matter the ammo or whatever S&W tells him to do, it just won't run. My buddy is a IPSC GM so operator error is out of the question. One of the few times in my life where the gun is at fault. Anybody else had issues?

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:58:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
i think the gun sucks. My training partner has sent it back to S&W twice already. It will not shoot more than a round or two before FTF. Does not matter the ammo or whatever S&W tells him to do, it just won't run. My buddy is a IPSC GM so operator error is out of the question. One of the few times in my life where the gun is at fault. Anybody else had issues?

Not  a single issue with mine. Never had a FTF or FTE. Have not heard of anyone with a serious issue. Now, I understand nothing is perfect and some guns that don't pass QC make it out of the factory.
How many rounds have you run through it? Most of us have broken them in with 2-300 rounds of Mini Mags, then run what ever ammo you want through them. Some members hear have reported FTF or FTE untill they run the CCI's in them, some folks have been able to run what ever ammo they want from the start.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This isn't common so that is not a fair assessment.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 4:41:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I'm at well over 1500 rounds with zero problems.

About the same here, just over 2000 and still very pleased. I might buy another one so that my son and I both can shoot them and neither one of us has to wait.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:43:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. I'm at well over 1500 rounds with zero problems.

About the same here, just over 2000 and still very pleased. I might buy another one so that my son and I both can shoot them and neither one of us has to wait.

I shot about 300 more rounds of Federal bulk pack today which puts me close to 3k and zero issues.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I just shot mine for the first time today and only had 3 failure to feeds while using Win555 bulk which I know is a little underpowered, especially for a new gun. It functioned perfectly both suppressed and unsuppressed with Fed bulk, Fed champion 510, minimags, and CCI blazer. I only fired about 150rds since I had a long day shooting a tactical match and 1.5hr roundtrip drive. I plan to run at least twice that next time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Just my observations of one gun. S&W has great CS and are willing to help all they can but it is odd. He is a picky guy and ran a bunch of the plastic box hot stuff. There is 2000+ rounds on the gun mostly brick and I realize all the underpower stuff is not as good etc but .22 ammo that is not to far off price from Russian 9mm seems counter productive if you are shooting it to save money(He loves M&Ps and carries nothing else). He is just trying to resolve this issue. The point is to run bulk ammo right?
Thanks for not beating me up for the post. It is a really neat gun.

Edit - Maybe I can get a video up and you Gents can help us out. Thanks again for being gentle and I retract the sucks part.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:19:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just my observations of one gun. S&W has great CS and are willing to help all they can but it is odd. He is a picky guy and ran a bunch of the plastic box hot stuff. There is 2000+ rounds on the gun mostly brick and I realize all the underpower stuff is not as good etc but .22 ammo that is not to far off price from Russian 9mm seems counter productive if you are shooting it to save money(He loves M&Ps and carries nothing else). He is just trying to resolve this issue. The point is to run bulk ammo right?
Thanks for not beating me up for the post. It is a really neat gun.

Edit - Maybe I can get a video up and you Gents can help us out. Thanks again for being gentle and I retract the sucks part.

We're not here to beat anyone up, but try and help the best we can. If anyone can help, It would be Dog1 or TheTacticalCoyote

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Ran another 200 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity through mine yesterday morning with zero malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Snowing right now and they don't like us to muck up the range road but asap. What do you guys use to upload video. I have the mini dvd camcorder. Maybe I'll stay here on this subforum. You Gents are nice. ARF has gotten some cynical attitudes since I was last here. Is it really needed to call out a guy any time he ask a question(not this thread of course) or question his IQ when a simple question is asked or a helpful answer is given?

EDIT - And thanks Dog1. I learned alot from your post when I was in my M1 phase.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:03:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Snowing right now and they don't like us to muck up the range road but asap. What do you guys use to upload video. I have the mini dvd camcorder. Maybe I'll stay here on this subforum. You Gents are nice. ARF has gotten some cynical attitudes since I was last here. Is it really needed to call out a guy any time he ask a question(not this thread of course) or question his IQ when a simple question is asked or a helpful answer is given?

EDIT - And thanks Dog1. I learned alot from your post when I was in my M1 phase.

I agree with you about the current state affairs around here. Thankfully, I manage to find enough of the good guys to keep me coming back. I usually don't post here much as I have spent quite a bit of time away from home over the last few years on long vacations given by Uncle Sam. My gun world is pretty much focused on what I'm issued or have access to while out and about. I have had hit and miss access to the internet as well, it makes it hard to keep up on the commercial gun market so when I come back home, it is a whole new world to me and some of these dudes here eat, sleep, and breath this stuff and they are quick to run me down for asking a question in my quest to get caught up. But like I said, it's all good, there are enough of the good guys here to make up for it.

If you can post the video, these guys will get you squared away. I am glad that you feel that it is worthwhile to stay around.

Bartender, another whiskey!
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Thank you Sir for your kind words and another for Your Service To Our Country. Guys like you keep me around fo' sho'. Anytime I can get a care/moral package to you or yours shoot me an adress. We love our Service Men and Women were I come from.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top