Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2010 9:28:49 AM EDT
I have a Colt 1991 A1 I have owned for years. I had lots of work done to it years ago, but it still wears the original sights. I don't really care for them. The pistol could also use a refinish. Who would you guys recommed I send the pistol to for the work? As far as the refinish work, I am looking for a black, long lasting finish. Thanks in advance for the help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:27:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your definition of long-lasting.  You could send it off to Springfield Armory for Novak cuts and Trijicion night sights, then have the gun re-finished in Armory Kote black.  

Novak also provides the service for cutting and installing sights, and they do re-finishing.  

Melonite or IONBond are your best bet for a long lasting black finish, but you'll drop $250-$350 for the entire gun compared to $150 for the Kote finish.  I think Springfield Armory provides Melonite if you ask for it (they have to for their XD line) and I think Novak has the Black Diamond finish, which I believe is IONBond.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd go with SA's Custom Shop or John Harrison  http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

John offers Ionbond and can work in smaller jobs like sights/finishes with good turnaround times.

ETA - SA charges $300 for IB, if you use Novak they charge $300 I believe but you'll also pay the shipping fees from their shop to whoever does IB.

Quoted:
I think Springfield Armory provides Melonite if you ask for it (they have to for their XD line) and I think Novak has the Black Diamond finish, which I believe is IONBond.

SA will NOT do Melonite on 1911's. I asked Dave in the CS about it and he gave me a pretty good reason why not. The main reason was the high temps involved.

Novak can send a pistol off for IB, but they do not offer it as a standard finish. NHC offers the DB, which is IB.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
can kimber rear sight cuts be changed to novak?  i have a series 1 that just won't hold kimber brand sights, front or rear and i want some novaks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
can kimber rear sight cuts be changed to novak?  i have a series 1 that just won't hold kimber brand sights, front or rear and i want some novaks.

No, you can't convert the Kimber cut slide to Novak cut.  However, Novak makes sights for the Kimber cut.  They are very nice and fit well.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#kimber%20novak____-_1-2-4_8-16-32
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Coal Creek Armory - very reasonable, offers melonite for $200

I had a Kimber Warrior worked over and I was very happy with the work.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Jeb Burnett is a local guy in LR, that does good work. He has my Dan Wesson right now.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:45:53 AM EDT
[#7]
John Harrison would be a great choice.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
John Harrison would be a great choice.

Or Don Williams at Action Works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 2:38:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You could send it to Dave Severns, he could do the sights as well as refinish it in his Hard Hat treatment:
https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Treatment.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Melonite.Especially if you like black pistols.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:21:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Freedom gunworks has a nice aranite finish that is very black

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=108283
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top