Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 71
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -HOOT-:
The only correct options for the frame/receiver are either USGI or Caspian, right? Also are there any reference photos with chrome barrels being used?
View Quote
Springfield made some complete pistols for 'em too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 12:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By samuse:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The only correct options for the frame/receiver are either USGI or Caspian, right? Also are there any reference photos with chrome barrels being used?
Actually handled a Springfield pistol on my first deployment when working with MARSOC dudes. Still regret not snapping a photo of it. Pistol barrel was still chrome. Looked identical to the Springfield MEUSOC in the Larry Vickers guide.
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
So were springfield pros actually used in this role?
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Pony151515:
View Quote
IDK but there are pics of custom carry slides with front slide serrations milled through the slide markings
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:40:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#5]
I found this video/podcast by accident. It's a general discussion on 1911 pistols with Justin Carroll, who wrote an article titled "The MEU .45: the 1911 soldiers on" a while back.

It's not an M45 video, but he does reflect on his experiences with his 1911 in service, and discusses some of the features/ modifications on the M45 he used (as well as shortcomings).

https://youtu.be/0TESFwUEK_Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TESFwUEK_Q
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#6]
E228: The 1911 - Love, Hate, Myth, Practicality, and Best Basics

Tag for later, thank you
Link Posted: 2/9/2018 10:23:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#7]
View Quote
Yes.  There were a number of small procurements of the Springfield Professional when MEU(SOC) 1911 stocks were insufficient.  50 were procured for the use of the Marine Corps Special Operations Detachment ("Det-One") pending the availability of the Kimber ICQB in 2003 (this was detailed in Pat Roger's December 2003 article about the Kimber ICQB).  Here's the except from Pat Roger's article.

Below is a later 2005 procurement for an additional 150 Professionals.

MEU(SOC) 45 caliber pistols

Department of the Navy, United States Marine Corps, Marine Corps Systems Command, 2200 Lester Street, Quantico, VA, 22134-5010

Description
This is notice of intended sole-source procurement on behalf of the Marine Corps Systems Command (MCSC). The procurement is for Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), SOC .45 caliber pistol posted in accordance with FAR 5.101(a)(1). The Marine Corps Systems Command (MARCORSYSCOM) intends to contract on a sole-source basis with Springfield Armory, 420 West Main Street, Geneseo, IL 61254 for MEU (SOC) .45 caliber pistol and associated packaging, marking and shipment. The following represents the governments intended parts list with quantities covered by this solicitation: (1) PC9111MC: Professional 1911-A1 .45ACR pistols Number: 150 The anticipated dollar amount is $284,850.00 Period of Performance: Date of Contract to 31 March 2005. FOB: Destination Delivery Point(s): 1. 75 pistols delivered to: DODAAC: MMSA01 Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany, GA Traffic Management Officer MCLB Bldg 1221 Dr 20 MF FSD MMSA01 Weapons Whse 1340 Dr 9 Albany, GA 31704-5000 Attn: Mr. Willie Harris, (229) 639-5533 2. 75 pistols delivered to: DODAAC: MMSA02 Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, CA DLA and G MF MMSA02 Bldg 625 WE Yermo Annex FSD MCLB Barstow, CA 92311-5048 Attn: Ms Jane Sloat or Mr. Tony Marquez Phone: 760-577-7345 Responsible sources capable of satisfying this requirement are encouraged to submit a statement of capability and costs, which, if timely received, will be considered. Information must be provided to the contact cited above not later than 3:00 PM (EST) 16 March 2005.

So that's at least 200 documented Springfield Professionals that entered USMC service.  As stated earlier, a number of these Pros were later rebuilt as MEU(SOC) guns, to include cutting forward cocking serrations through the Springfield Custom Shop rollmark and removing the magwell (see below pic).  Note the CRG prefix serial number on the frame.

Last, I'll note that the few USMC Professionals that were procured in 2003 and 2005 are often confused with the 2007 Springfield Custom shop run of USMC pistols. Here's a picture of the Custom Shop pistol in service and another example in a glamour shot from Larry Vicker's 1911 book (pictured at right)...note the USMC prefix serial number.

Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info, thank you for posting.

It would be interesting to know where those 150 Springfield Professionals procured in 2005 went. Do you have any more details on the 2007 Springfield Custom Shop run of USMC pistols?

Originally Posted By carmodyh:
Actually handled a Springfield pistol on my first deployment when working with MARSOC dudes. Still regret not snapping a photo of it. Pistol barrel was still chrome. Looked identical to the Springfield MEUSOC in the Larry Vickers guide.
View Quote
Yep that would have been amazing to see, what year was that if I may ask?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#9]

It would be interesting to know where those 150 Springfield Professionals procured in 2005 went. Do you have any more details on the 2007 Springfield Custom Shop run of USMC pistols?

Yep that would have been amazing to see, what year was that if I may ask?
View Quote
It was in Bala Murghab in RC-West, AFG in 2011. Worked with MSOT 8222 (Level Zero Hero guys, although there was some turn over in the team of course from then). I don't know if I misremember or not, but I could have sworn the serial number was a NM prefix and didn't have the USMC. I have always been a springfield fanboy, and remember thinking to myself "I could totally clone this when I get home." Was pretty much a SACS Custom Carry with the Pac rubber grips and FCS... So I cloned it a few years later but then sold it like a dummy... ;) I  have a loaded model that I beat up that is MEUSOC clone-ish, but its no SACS gun.

old pics

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Pachmayr GM45C have the slot for the ambi leg.
View Quote
Are those unobtainium? I cannot seem to find a set for the life of me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 9:27:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#11]

It would be interesting to know where those 150 Springfield Professionals procured in 2005 went.
View All Quotes

It would be interesting to know where those 150 Springfield Professionals procured in 2005 went.
I suspect most were rebuilt as MEU(SOC) pistols by PWS.  Here's another example.

Do you have any more details on the 2007 Springfield Custom Shop run of USMC pistols?
There isn't a great deal out there on the 2007 Custom Shop pistols.  Larry Vickers briefly talks about them (and displays great photos of one) in his Vickers Guide: 1911 (pp. 290-293).  He describes them as essentially "the FBI Professional Model minus some frills"; from the pictures they appear to differ from the Pro in having standard all-black Novak sights (no tritium), Pachmayr grips (no front strap serrations), front cocking serrations, and instead of a magwell have a MSH with lanyard loop.  Here's a pic of Vickers' pistol (note the serial number, USMC001).

Patrick Sweeney displays a picture of one of these pistols in his 1911 The First 100 Years book (picture embedded below).  Sweeney states that 250 of these pistols were built.  His model appears identical to the pistol displayed in the Vickers Guide, but has a set of G10 'Gunner Grips' (which serve to nicely display the smooth frontstrap that is obscured by the Pachmayr grips in most photos of this pistol).  Again, note the USMC Serial Number (USMC003).  Vickers states in his guide that the serial number of the USMC procured pistols begins with USMC100; the serial numbers of the pistols in both Vickers' and Sweeney's books indicates these are privately purchased pistols built to the same specifications.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 1:41:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#12]
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#13]
This page is tempting me to put my pachymer grips back on
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't really remember this for sure, and I've been reamed for posting before in here not really knowing for sure.  But I'll just throw it out anyways....   I thought Kimber actually had a contract to supply their DET-1's a while back.  And they sold the Desert Warrior commercially.  Or it was called the Desert Warrior.  I don't know.

Or maybe they submitted it and didn't supply any other than samples?  I forget what the story was but I thought there were some Kimbers......
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#15]
Originally Posted By Finslayer83:

@dontburyme where did you get the barrel done?

Cost / turnaround?
View Quote
Just now seeing this.

Got it done by Fusion Firearms in FL. $72 and 5 weeks. @Finslayer83
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JJREA:
I don't really remember this for sure, and I've been reamed for posting before in here not really knowing for sure.  But I'll just throw it out anyways....   I thought Kimber actually had a contract to supply their DET-1's a while back.  And they sold the Desert Warrior commercially.  Or it was called the Desert Warrior.  I don't know.

Or maybe they submitted it and didn't supply any other than samples?  I forget what the story was but I thought there were some Kimbers......
View Quote
The Warrior was marketed as the copy of the Det-1 pistol.  The Desert Warrior was put out on the FDE bandwagon.
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By detacbob:

The Warrior was marketed as the copy of the Det-1 pistol.  The Desert Warrior was put out on the FDE bandwagon.
View Quote
And the Warrior wasn't quite the Det-1 Kimber ICQB, which used real Novak sights, Gunner Grips, and the unique Dawson rail.

Link Posted: 2/11/2018 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JSGlock34:
And the Warrior wasn't quite the Det-1 Kimber ICQB, which used real Novak sights, Gunner Grips, and the unique Dawson rail.

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/soldiertech_kimber1911-1-medium-jpg.1786/
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By detacbob:

https://d3axvdqkyu09xk.cloudfront.net/attachments/soldiertech_kimber1911-1-medium-jpg.1786/
Correct.

Which is why I said it was marketed as a copy vs. it is a copy or clone of the actual pistol.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#19]
But weren't there actual DET-1's that were all Kimber, or no?
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
But weren't there actual DET-1's that were all Kimber, or no?
View Quote
Yes there were.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#21]
OK good. Then I was not spreading misinformation.  Remember how the Desert Warrior had those grips that were FDE but the texturing looked like the imprint of a good and plenty.  I think some people said they looked like peanuts or something.  LOL.

Yeah, here you go:

Link Posted: 2/12/2018 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#22]
OK good. Then I was not spreading misinformation.  Remember how the Desert Warrior had those grips that were FDE but the texturing looked like the imprint of a good and plenty.  I think some people said they looked like peanuts or something.  LOL.

Yeah, here you go:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/u_ROpQFfmOM/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Those grips were the first thing that I replaced in 2005 ( ... followed by a Guncrafter MSH, a  shorter STI polymer trigger, and then a Colt non-bumped rat tail grip safety and WW1 thumb safety)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:30:29 AM EDT
[#23]
You still shoot it?  I don't see too many people post about them any longer.......  I think it was one of the first FDE or tan pistols on the market.  Ever.  Don't quote me on that though.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#24]
You still shoot it?  I don't see too many people post about them any longer.......  I think it was one of the first FDE or tan pistols on the market.  Ever.  Don't quote me on that though.
View Quote
I do. ... (and may need to finish cleaning it after that last range trip )

An article dated 11July, 2004:
http://www.defensereview.com/kimber-introduces-new-warrior-1911-pistol-based-on-icqbmcsocom-det-1-pistol/
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:44:31 AM EDT
[#25]
There isn't a great deal out there on the 2007 Custom Shop pistols.  Larry Vickers briefly talks about them (and displays great photos of one) in his Vickers Guide: 1911 (pp. 290-293).  He describes them as essentially "the FBI Professional Model minus some frills"; from the pictures they appear to differ from the Pro in having standard all-black Novak sights (no tritium), Pachmayr grips (no front strap serrations), front cocking serrations, and instead of a magwell have a MSH with lanyard loop.  Here's a pic of Vickers' pistol (note the serial number, USMC001).

https://68.media.tumblr.com/48daf8e77579d8601fd20bbe7b40e5cc/tumblr_o4fyov0E6l1upvjnmo1_1280.jpg

Patrick Sweeney displays a picture of one of these pistols in his 1911 The First 100 Years book (picture embedded below).  Sweeney states that 250 of these pistols were built.  His model appears identical to the pistol displayed in the Vickers Guide, but has a set of G10 'Gunner Grips' (which serve to nicely display the smooth frontstrap that is obscured by the Pachmayr grips in most photos of this pistol).  Again, note the USMC Serial Number (USMC003).  Vickers states in his guide that the serial number of the USMC procured pistols begins with USMC100; the serial numbers of the pistols in both Vickers' and Sweeney's books indicates these are privately purchased pistols built to the same specifications.

https://1s18w12tqveh1xfywp1ulx42-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/gallery/1911-photo-gallery/h17-5-b.jpg
View Quote
Thank you. Given the plaque in Larry's photo would I be right in assuming these 200 SACS pistols were made for MARSOC? Reminds me that I need to pick up a copy of the Vickers 1911 guide.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:47:18 AM EDT
[#26]
I suspect most were rebuilt as MEU(SOC) pistols by PWS.  Here's another example.
http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72696&d=1321840384
http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=72697&d=1321840460
View Quote
Photos aren't showing up. These 2005 procured Springfield Professionals would have been used by Force Recon and not DET-1 given that by that time they would have been running the Kimber ICQB, right?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Photos aren't showing up. These 2005 procured Springfield Professionals would have been used by Force Recon and not DET-1 given that by that time they would have been running the Kimber ICQB, right?
View Quote
I imagine so but have no further information one way or another.  Considering the 50 Det-1 Pros were 'donated' to Force, I suspect these additional guns were similarly used.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#28]
is there a trick to see the photo's in this thread?
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By E5MC:
is there a trick to see the photo's in this thread?
View Quote
If you're running Firefox or Chrome, look for an extension called "Photobucket Fix" and it will bypass their stupidity and load them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:39:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: E5MC] [#30]
Thanks SecretSquirell
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By E5MC:
Thanks SecretSquirell
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Anyone have the correct Cerakote color code for the M45A1 pistol?  Tried to Google...but I'm not finding it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:
Anyone have the correct Cerakote color code for the M45A1 pistol?  Tried to Google...but I'm not finding it.
View Quote
Manganese phosphate parkerizing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]

Manganese phosphate parkerizing.
View Quote
???

For the Desert Tan Colt M45A1??
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LongTrang:

???

For the Desert Tan Colt M45A1??
View Quote
I missed the A1 part.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#36]

I missed the A1 part.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 8:10:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ThomasleeUSMC] [#37]
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#38]
This might have been posted, but:

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
A couple I took off of Youtube

Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Throwback to 2007 when i broke a meusoc

Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
What is the story on the bottom pic?

Instead of the wrap around grips, it has pachy panels, and grip tape to cover up the front strap checkering?
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:42:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Barrel linkage sheared off.  Probably extremely high round count and possibly not fitted right.  31st MEU 2007.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#43]
My pile of parts
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#44]
View Quote
I think after the Kimber Warriors (ICQB) were dropped they were interim replaced with Springfield Pros
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Wilson drop in beaver tail?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:04:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

IDK but there are pics of custom carry slides with front slide serrations milled through the slide markings
View Quote
Supposedly those are just replacement slides that were ordered by PWS with forward serrations and Springfield sent a mixed batch of what they had on hand.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes sir
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:38:05 AM EDT
[#48]
So I have pretty much all of the parts except a MSH, frame and slide. Where or what is the best way that I can get a Springfield slide for this build?
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 6:20:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Not sure who these guys are and when....  Or if those are MEUSOC guns, but I figured I'd post anyways....

Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top