Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 71
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what version you want to build.  The grips pictured below were the early version used on the MEU(SOC) 1911 with USGI frame and the ones above were used on the M45 with Caspian frame.  But I'm sure that both were used on each version.  

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JJREA:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing......
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/NewVersion_01.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Parabellum226:
There's nothing inaccurate about those grips. What makes you think otherwise?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing......
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o475/NomadABPos/NewVersion_01.jpg

Link Posted: 11/16/2016 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know there was such a drastic different between the sloping of the two. I'm building an early model so I'll probably swap these out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 2:10:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#3]
Gotcha.  I do see the difference in profile now.  It was kind of hard while laying flat.  I don't think it would matter to me, but I know some people might not be able to abide the difference.  But the thing about that is like you said, who know if some of the older type got on the newer guns at times.......  It's hard to tell in pics because most of the ones I got they're actually shooting them.  Then there's that real good close up of one in a drop holster and it looks like they've been covered with grip tape.  LOL.  Or they are something completely different.

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Hey guys, having a bit of trouble figuring out which beavertail to use. Big thanks to two of you here on the boards. I'll give you a proper shout out in the coming days. Hobbs posted a comparison back on pg55. The left is Wilson and the right is Clark correct?

" />
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:12:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#5]
Can you post individual pictures of each with the beaver tail centered in the screen? The distortion to the edges makes it difficult to see whether both are the same cut. One on the right definitely looks like a Wilson compound, but to my knowledge the Wilson and Clark were damn near identical.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#6]
I'll take more photos later, but the inside tab on the right one is considerably thicker.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 2:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#7]
That just means its a series 70 part. The thinner tab is meant to allow clearance for the series 80 levers. Based on page 55 (the two ebay grip safeties pic), it looks like the old pistols may occasionally have utilized the 80 series grip safety.

Looking back on John's comparison, I do see a tiny bit of a difference between the Clark and Wilson (yours both look more like the Wilson). It's possible that these differences are just due to casting variations. Any blending to the frame would likely make these imperceivable.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By Bohguy:

Hey guys, having a bit of trouble figuring out which beavertail to use. Big thanks to two of you here on the boards. I'll give you a proper shout out in the coming days. Hobbs posted a comparison back on pg55. The left is Wilson and the right is Clark correct?

http://<a href=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah275/cs114/IMG_1953_zpsmi8yjn9g.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

As said the gs on the right is a Wison radius so it could be a Clark or Wilson.

The one on the left looks like a .250 radius which afaik would make it a Clark.

The photos at the beginning of the thread show some pistols that are definitely NOT a compound radius, but some other photos look like they could be.
Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#9]
Here's a couple more
</a>" />
</a>" />
If you place them on top of each other, the radius looks the same
" />
Link Posted: 11/22/2016 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#10]
The stainless one in your pictures is a Clark, here is one from my parts bin for comparison

Link Posted: 11/22/2016 3:23:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#11]
Originally Posted By Bohguy:

http://<a href=http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah275/cs114/IMG_1953_zpsmi8yjn9g.jpg</a>" />
View Quote

I can confirm the blued one is a Clark with .250 radius. I believe Clark made compound radius GS earlier and switch to .250 radius later. .250 radius is easier to work with than the Wilson compound radius.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#12]
When I started searching for parts I thought there were some things I just would never be able to find. I don't think that anymore.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:33:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#13]
Attachment Attached File

Things are progressing well. Picked up a checkered slide stop, non-thumb swell pachmayrs and a new plunger tube to replace my loose one. Given the choice between my two grip safeties, which one would you choose?

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I would use the stainless one and have it blackened.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#15]
In what capacity were Springfield Professionals  used throughout MEU(SOC) program? Were they using factory Professionals or did they modify them? I am thinking they would make a pretty sick clone pistol clone build. Any pictures would be appreciated. I have read through this thread and found very little info on the Pros being used.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#16]
I'm not sure they did use them in the MEU(SOC) program.  What makes you think they did?

From what I understand the earlier MEU(SOC) 1911's were with a few different slides (Caspian and Springfield) and USGI frames.  Then later they also used a Kimber for a while (whole gun), I think.  And now towards the end the Colt.  

I think I have that correct, but maybe someone else can confirm that or expand on that.  I didn't really think Springfield Professionals were part of MEUSOC.  But maybe other agencies within the Govt...

I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I studied up on them and there are some who know more than I do.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not sure they did use them in the MEU(SOC) program.  What makes you think they did?

From what I understand the earlier MEU(SOC) 1911's were with a few different slides (Caspian and Springfield) and USGI frames.  Then later they also used a Kimber for a while (whole gun), I think.  And now towards the end the Colt.  

I think I have that correct, but maybe someone else can confirm that or expand on that.  I didn't really think Springfield Professionals were part of MEUSOC.  But maybe other agencies within the Govt...

I could be wrong.  It's been a while since I studied up on them and there are some who know more than I do.
View Quote

I thought I had read that USSOCM DET 1 and Force Recon used them but I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By StampCollector87:

I thought I had read that USSOCM DET 1 and Force Recon used them but I could be mistaken.
View Quote

What you posted is correct. MEU(SOC)s were built on Caspian, Springfield, and USGI frames using the parts list on page 1 of this thread. When they needed more, they used the Kimber DET gun as an interim pistol. Some of my guys on an Iraq rotation in '09-10 saw the kimber pistols in the wild. I saw complete springfield guns and Caspian framed guns on my '11-12 deployment to Afghanistan with the MARSOC teams. I never saw a pro model in the wild, but there are some photos earlier in this thread with some modified pro models with CRG prefixes...

these points have been discussed pretty thoroughly  earlier in this thread if you want to read more about it. Lots of knowledgeable guys have chimed in and ive certainly learned a lot when I first started reading about (and later seeing) these pistols in the wild
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:39:54 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

You really should stop posting about things you don't know about. That seems to be a bad habit you have.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#20]
My apologies.  I try to be a conscientious contributor.  But I'm sure there are times when I venture outside of my area of knowledge.  I did not realize Pro's were used by MEUSOC as my studies of it were more in the early times.  

I don't really recognize your screen name and wasn't sure where else I mis-stepped in front of you that would bother you.  In this case I was partly correct.  Just not about the Pro's.  Sorry about that.  I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of it being a "bad habit", but I will definitely take it as constructive criticism and try not to speak out of turn.  I was open about not necessarily knowing for sure and that others might know better.  

Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:20:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hemiman] [#21]
Springfield Professional's were built and developed for the FBI SWAT team(s). NOT the USMC.....if anyone has any other documentation proving otherwise, I'd love to see it posted.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:22:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ozgood03:

You really should stop posting about things you don't know about. That seems to be a bad habit you have.
View Quote

Why don't you correct it then? This is a technical discussion and not in the GD....
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:16:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#23]
In 2005, Springfield was awarded a contract that supply 150 Professional model to USMC. Link below has the award information

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=a1554e96f6e7424290856afbfb484a43&tab=core&tabmode=list&=
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:23:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hemiman] [#24]
Originally Posted By mlin:
In 2005, Springfield was awarded a contract that supply 150 Professional model to USMC. Link below has the award information.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_4/14585_-ARCHIVED-THREAD----Looks-Like-Springfield-Got-The-MEUSOC-Contract.html&page=1#i114983
View Quote

Very interesting, thank you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#25]
In 2005, Springfield was awarded a contract that supply 150 Professional model to USMC. Link below has the award information

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=a1554e96f6e7424290856afbfb484a43&tab=core&tabmode=list&=
View Quote

Thanks for the link. You got it posted before me. Some people need to post less and read more, esp about subjects they admit to not knowing about.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#26]
I know enough to be dangerous with the MEUSOC pistol stuff.  I was really excited when we first started hearing about them.  A couple of years before this thread was made, there were other threads and talk that never got stickied.  And then I had sort of lost track of it for a while so most of my knowledge on it comes from a long time ago.   I apologize for not being as up to date on it as you.  I guess I'm playing catch up.  

Your comment about it being a bad habit seems condescending and not appreciated.  But again, I'm trying to take it as constructive criticism.  You may want to check your motivation.
Link Posted: 12/15/2016 6:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
A box of parts was sent out to C&H Precision Weapons today. In 10-14 weeks I hope to have something to be proud of posted here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Maybe some of the SA Pros made it to the other side of the base; I mean they are right next to each other in Quantico.  
Sorry not technical, but I could not resist.

Originally Posted By hemiman:
Springfield Professional's were built and developed for the FBI SWAT team(s). NOT the USMC.....if anyone has any other documentation proving otherwise, I'd love to see it posted.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:16:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#29]
As far as the professional models go, the information I gathered was as follows:

1. Not very many were provided;
2. They were provided with S&A lanyard loop magwells;
3. Magwells were replaced with flat lanyard MSHs, and wilson safeties were replaced with 201As... hammers and beavertails appear to have been retained;
4. Pachmayr grips went on... I believe these pros did not have front strap checkering;
5. Front cocking serrations were cut, and slides were refinished (frames were kept black t until the entire gun needed to be refinished); and
6. These models had the early blocky dustcover and less detailed rollmarks.

I've only seen about 7 pictures or so.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#30]
My apologies.  I try to be a conscientious contributor.  But I'm sure there are times when I venture outside of my area of knowledge.  I did not realize Pro's were used by MEUSOC as my studies of it were more in the early times.  

I don't really recognize your screen name and wasn't sure where else I mis-stepped in front of you that would bother you.  In this case I was partly correct.  Just not about the Pro's.  Sorry about that.  I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of it being a "bad habit", but I will definitely take it as constructive criticism and try not to speak out of turn.  I was open about not necessarily knowing for sure and that others might know better.
View Quote

Don't worry man. You always ask good questions and humbly accept corrections.

Fwiw I never saw a 1911 in a MEU combat element. The recon guys I worked with all had Berettas. You really need to study this stuff to know anything. I guarantee I know less about issued MEUSOC 1911s than you.

My brother in law carried a basic 1911 as a S/S in Afghanistan(I'm talking ww1 front sight) and a co-worker whose a MARSOC Marine hated whatever 1911 he was issued untill he got a g19. Thats about all I know.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By joglee:

Shame to see MARSOC dumping it

However I wish I had that amount through my 1911.
View Quote

Recon battalion is not MARSOC
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 03RN:
Originally Posted By joglee:

Shame to see MARSOC dumping it

However I wish I had that amount through my 1911.

MARSOC still dumped it though. Force, Recon, and MP SRT teams are still using the 1911.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:08:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JSGlock34] [#33]
Some of the Professionals appear to have been rebuilt by PWS..

I think the few USMC Professionals that were procured in 2003 and 2005 are often confused with the 2007 Springfield Custom shop run of MEUSOC pistols.  Here's a picture of the Custom Shop pistol from Larry Vicker's 1911 book...note the USMC serial number.

Augee had posted some pictures of these Springfield Armory pistols earlier in the thread...again, note the USMC serial number...

Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
CD has posted a pic of a regular ole 1911 he had in either Afghanistan or Iraq.  Or both, I forget.   I think it was an A2.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 4:00:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tacdog34] [#35]
If you want a good copy that is EXTREMELY well made check out Combat Precision Technologies. Chris is a solid smith (more like artist). The gun is part marked just like the original MEU/SOC guns. Probably the best duty grade 1911 pistol to be owned. Check out his webpage and FB. He worked over my Illinois Springfield 1911 and it runs like a scalded dog

Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#36]
If anybody is having a hard time finding King's ambi safeties, KC's Kustom Creations now has new reproductions available for sale.
http://kcskustomcreations.com/
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 5:32:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By stevejness:
If anybody is having a hard time finding King's ambi safeties, KC's Kustom Creations now has new reproductions available for sale.
View Quote

Thanks for sharing this. His Facebook page has some photos of the reproduction ambi. Not the exact copy. More like a EGW ambi with King's thumb paddle. But I have to say its very good looking.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Thanks for sharing this. His Facebook page has some photos of the reproduction ambi. Not the exact copy. More like a EGW ambi with King's thumb paddle. But I have to say its very good looking.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By stevejness:

It looks like he might be making a reproduction grip safety too, but I didn't get any info on that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 2:03:49 PM EDT
[#39]
damn man.... makes me want to built a retro clone now
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:07:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Since I already have the link for this copied to my clipboard for GD:

MEU(SOC) in name only, or something.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:46:03 PM EDT
[#41]
So.............any of those Millet .225 height floating around out there? Maybe a Millett rear too?
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Just ordered a thumb safety and beavertail from him. I'll post up pics when they're in. Apparently he will also be producing front and rear sights in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:08:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RandomGuy2] [#45]
Here's a very early MEUSOC 1911 clone (built by a 2112).  This variation is from the late 1980s, when the USMC first starting using SAI slides (vertical serrations, no cross cannons).  The more common version is the later version with the angled serrations and crossed cannons behind the ejection port, etc.  Slideshow: http://s289.photobucket.com/user/wclark_photos_2008/slideshow/MEUSOC%201911

Misc pics:

Left:
Right:
Barrel hood "RTE-P":
Right rear:
MS housing::
Rear sight:
Front sight:

...my contribution for anyone interested in these RTE/PWS built 1911s...
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RandomGuy2:
Here's aery early MEUSOC 1911 clone (built by a 2112).  This variation is from the late 1980s, when the USMC first starting using SAI slides (vertical serrations, no cross cannons).  The more common version is the later version with the angled serrations and crossed cannons behind the ejection port, etc.  Slideshow: http://s289.photobucket.com/user/wclark_photos_2008/slideshow/MEUSOC%201911

View Quote

Very nice, I like that build.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 8:23:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By RandomGuy2:
Here's a very early MEUSOC 1911 clone (built by a 2112).  This variation is from the late 1980s, when the USMC first starting using SAI slides (vertical serrations, no cross cannons).  The more common version is the later version with the angled serrations and crossed cannons behind the ejection port, etc.  Slideshow: http://s289.photobucket.com/user/wclark_photos_2008/slideshow/MEUSOC%201911

View Quote

What a great first post!!
Welcome to the forum.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:52:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks, I have been following this thread for a little while, and decided I should post my little project here.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:18:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Regulatori] [#49]
First of all, I hate all of you. ;)

I just FINISHED a Mk12 Mod H clone and was thinking about a MEUSOC next. I figured everyone was into the newer 1911 tacticools and couldn't care less about the old hand me downs.
Wrong.

Just started reading this thread and felt my bank account draining.

While I was a normal 03 in an infantry BTL, I got to hang out with MARSOC during a MEU. I got to finger fu*k a few of their pistols and fell in love. They were absolute rattle traps (slide/frame) but there was something so special about them. In the regular 1911 world, the Pachmyer wrap-around is literally the worst choice. haha I put them on a Kimber Series 1 back in the 90's and got nothing but shit: "You're ruining the classic lines..."

So...I was already thinking of a MEUSOC and then saw this thread. I'm doomed. This thread is so awesome in a bad way. Wow.

Originally I was going to go buy a Springfield GI but now realize they're longer made.

I am the most anti-front slide serrations person you'll find. To me the perfect 1911 is a tiny rollmark, no front slide serrations, and the fine rear serrations. A Colt 70 is just about perfect.
BUT.....for some reason I love the front serrations on the MEUSOC though. It just works.

So...this question has been answered a million times before...

-Do I start with an Armscor/el cheapo 1911 and work off that?

-Do I buy a Springfield Loaded, add a Pachmyer wrap-around, do a few minor touches, and call it a day?

Like I said...I JUST finished my MK12 (it's posted in the Holland thread today)....not sure if starting off a cheap base gun is better than a something better from the start (Springfield Loaded)??
A lot of MEUSOC's had Springfield slides too...so it makes it harder.  The Loaded seems like the best foot in the door.

Or you can simply say "Read the f-in thread...it's all been answered!!!" haha
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#50]
There's a lnib loaded in the EE right now for a steal
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top