Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 71
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure it's been discussed here in this thread but finding it is proving tricky.

I'm guessing that the PWS used Bar-sto "semi-fit" barrels not the "match target" barrels but wanted to confirm this before I commit.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#2]
On KC's webpage, he says Bar Sto "semi-fit" barrels.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nipster74:
On KC's webpage, he says Bar Sto "semi-fit" barrels.
View Quote
Oh great, thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
He's a great resource and freely answers questions.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 8:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
That said, if you're having a pro assemble the gun, you may find more benefit in using the Match Target as the extra material allows a "better" fit. I think they are both the same price and have the same markings so the look should be the same (None of my MT barrels have any text denoting it).
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#6]
WIP. Ed Brown wide ambi-safety and Bar-Sto barrel are ordered.

Link Posted: 4/2/2017 2:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 103] [#7]
So I have had a pistol mostly put together to be a clone of an early gun for years. It's a 1919 Colt frame and a Remington-Rand slide that had an old set of Kings Harball sights when I got it. I know they aren't perfect, but they are a similar profile, and I love them.

Anyway, so I have always had a drop in Pachmayr grip safety because I never could find a Clarks safety. Now that there are obtainable replicas out there, I was going to order one. However, the rear end of my frame has always been a little weird. If I install any GI safety, the spots that normally flow with the tangs are always sticking way out. I know some pre-A1 frames had some off dimensions. I am supplying two pictures to illustrate my concern. Will a Clarks work, or is this frame dimensionally off?

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 103:
So I have had a pistol mostly put together to be a clone of an early gun for years. It's a 1919 Colt frame and a Remington-Rand slide that had an old set of Kings Harball sights when I got it. I know they aren't perfect, but they are a similar profile, and I love them.

I know some pre-A1 frames had some off dimensions. I am supplying two pictures to illustrate my concern. Will a Clarks work, or is this frame dimensionally off?
View Quote
The King's sight looks very similar to the PWS rear based on your pic.
As you said, pre A1 1911's had a different tang radius. Unfortunately I can't answer about the beavertail fit on a pre A1.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 10:11:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#9]
Originally Posted By 103:

Anyway, so I have always had a drop in Pachmayr grip safety because I never could find a Clarks safety. Now that there are obtainable replicas out there, I was going to order one. However, the rear end of my frame has always been a little weird. If I install any GI safety, the spots that normally flow with the tangs are always sticking way out. I know some pre-A1 frames had some off dimensions. I am supplying two pictures to illustrate my concern. Will a Clarks work, or is this frame dimensionally off?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/IMG-4289-179474.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/106019/IMG-4288-179473.JPG
View Quote
My eye isn't good enough to tell just based on the picture. Buying and installing one of the Wilson jigs should show whether your frame has less meat than what is required. That's the only way I can recommend.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Built at PWS a few years ago, fourth generation, Caspian frame with MC prefix and Springfield slide

Built at PWS a few years ago, fourth generation, Caspian frame with MC prefix and Caspian slide installed, spare Springfield Operator slide matched to the gun

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 2:35:42 PM EDT
[#11]
THAT...is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for sharing these super high quality pics.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#13]
How are you getting the Pachmayr grips to fit with the SA ambi safety? I have to loosen my right side for the safety to move freely. (thought about a kimber ambi)
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ubar_Jay:
How are you getting the Pachmayr grips to fit with the SA ambi safety? I have to loosen my right side for the safety to move freely. (thought about a kimber ambi)
View Quote
I'm pretty sure Pachmayr makes a model with a right side thumb safety cut out under the right side grip panel.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 1:46:12 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
What model of Pachmayrs do you have?  The newer ones should fit fine.  They were factory on the MC Operator, which I believe used the same safety that SA currently does.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Did the caspian frames used for these have an MC prefix in the serial? or was it USMC?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
What model of Pachmayrs do you have?  The newer ones should fit fine.  They were factory on the MC Operator, which I believe used the same safety that SA currently does.  
View Quote
Not sure, I bought them off the EE.
Do you have a part number for them? Brownells has them listed as an ambi cut but in the Q&A it says not for SA models. SA doesn't have them on their site.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By freefloater294:
Did the caspian frames used for these have an MC prefix in the serial? or was it USMC?
View Quote
MC
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By freefloater294:
View Quote
Yes it is MC
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have a part number for them? Brownells has them listed as an ambi cut but in the Q&A it says not for SA models. SA doesn't have them on their site.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Sorry, I don't.  SA customer service is extremely helpful though.  I would email/call them and ask for a replacement grip for an original MC Operator.  I bet they would have the PN.  

The grips should have an obvious ambi cut, and a brass tab insert IIRC.  If yours have that, it might just be a tolerance stacking between Pachmayr and SA.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Sorry, I don't.  SA customer service is extremely helpful though.  I would email/call them and ask for a replacement grip for an original MC Operator.  I bet they would have the PN.  

The grips should have an obvious ambi cut, and a brass tab insert IIRC.  If yours have that, it might just be a tolerance stacking between Pachmayr and SA.  
View Quote
I ordered mfr part number 02919 from Brownells and received ambi relieved grips, FWIW.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DontBuryMe:

I ordered mfr part number 02919 from Brownells and received ambi relieved grips, FWIW.
View Quote
Somebody get this man a beer.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Somebody get this man a beer.
View Quote
Scratch that! I just went back and checked- it was 02545. Sorry, dude. @Ubar_Jay
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone have a current PWS contact at Quantico? Working towards a build...
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By OODA_Loop:
Anyone have a current PWS contact at Quantico? Working towards a build...
View Quote
IM sent.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By kaiheitai17:

IM sent.
View Quote
Please share.....
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 9:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Parabellum226] [#27]
So, a while back I was able to get a side by side shot of some original PWS-made MEU(SOC) sights (Sight 1 and 3) and two Millett MK1 rear sights (1 modified to attempt to make it look like a PWS sight and one stock).

A lot has changed since then. PWS2112 (Ben) started a run of rear sights allowing many to finish their builds. Recently, KC Crawford started making bar stock (improved) variants of the King's and Clark beavertail. KC mentioned that sights were in the works, and apparently that day has come (at least for me).

The sights are beautifully done and look damn near perfect. They came black as night with all edges nicely finished. The rear sight has a ball cut above the set screw just like the original. I really couldn't be happier with them.  

Here is one of KC's sights next to Ben's. Although the profiles look different, you'll notice that the original sights in the first picture were themselves not identical. Some pictures show a thinner blockier sight, while others show a more rounded looking sight.

KC's Millett replica is equally well made, and quite similar to the original. I only had a white bar available to compare, but it should give you a good enough idea. The site has the correct step-style serrations and comes with a narrow tenon.

Note: I oiled the sights up to minimize the worry of rusting. As a result though, they picked up a bunch of dust, which shows in the pictures.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Source/contact for that front site?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 10:15:46 PM EDT
[#29]
His site is http://kcskustomcreations.com/ Shoot him an e-mail and he should get back to you quickly.
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#30]
I work with a retired 2112. I'm going to see if he is interested in building a few of these. Hopefully he will agree.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#31]
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/akim85/M45%20CQC/USMC1911MEUSOC.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e131/akim85/M45%20CQC/USMC1911MEU1.jpg

This is clearly not the millet/pws angular front sight, and does not appear to use a front dovetail (at least to my untrained eye). Novak doesn't list any stake on front sight on their site. Is this some factory Springfield staked front sight or what? Can any of ya'll identify it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:30:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Factory Springfield serrated ramp front sight. The most similar options I have seen outside of sending the gun to Springfield are the caspian serrated ramp and fusion has one too. Definitely dovetailed.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 2:27:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Don't think I've seen this one posted, variant 3 with the C&S hammer
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DontBuryMe] [#34]
Not nearly done. Just got the barrel back from being finished.

Sad to see that Photobucket fucked up Augee's OP.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Not nearly done. Just got the barrel back from being finished.

http://i.imgur.com/4eNZ0uN.jpg

Sad to see that Photobucket fucked up Augee's OP.
View Quote
Beautiful

How'd you get it finished?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:49:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Beautiful

View Quote
Thank you!

It was just done in black oxide.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 12:09:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you!

View All Quotes

Beautiful

Thank you!

Can that be done on stainless? Where'd you send it?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
Yep, it can. I sent it in to Fusion Firearms.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes

Thank you, I'll look into them
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#40]
C&H Precision recently finished my M45 build and posted this picture on their site.

Mine is the early variant second from the left
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Best looking one of the bunch. Must see more pictures!
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohguy] [#42]
Finally got her in my hands. Very pleased with how it turned out. Here's a couple before a heavy coat of ballistol. It's nice and dark now.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Huge shoutout to the forum for helping me acquire parts and knowledge.
Mark, you were the biggest help in all of this

Spec list:
Frame- USGI Remington Rand. (Salvaged one that was previously polished and blued)
Slide- Early 80's Springfield Armory (commercial)
Barrel/Bushing- BarSto Match
Trigger- C&S Videcki 3 hole
Hammer- Colt Commander
Slide stop- C&S checkered
MSH- USGI serrated (modified to flat)
Sights- PWS replica rear, Millet front
Grip safety- Clark
Recoil plug, guide rod, assorted internals are USGI
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#43]
That is outstanding!!!!!   Congrats!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Congratulation! Excellent built.

Originally Posted By Bohguy:
Finally got her in my hands. Very pleased with how it turned out. Here's a couple before a heavy coat of ballistol. It's nice and dark now.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416607/IMG_2270-293468.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416607/IMG_2271-293469.JPG

Huge shoutout to the forum for helping me acquire parts and knowledge.
Mark, you were the biggest help in all of this

Spec list:
Frame- USGI Remington Rand. (Salvaged one that was previously polished and blued)
Slide- Early 80's Springfield Armory (commercial)
Barrel/Bushing- BarSto Match
Trigger- C&S Videcki 3 hole
Hammer- Colt Commander
Slide stop- C&S checkered
MSH- USGI serrated (modified to flat)
Sights- PWS replica rear, Millet front
Grip safety- Clark
Recoil plug, guide rod, assorted internals are USGI
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Yes what is now the Bar-Sto "semi fit" barrel is the barrel we used when building the pistols.  I have also now gotten produced exact copies of the front and rear sight, small modifications on the ambi, beavertail and commander hammer.  Everything is manufactured out of bar stock or tool steel and are available on my web site.  There is also as accurate as possible history of the different generations of the MEU (SOC) pistols on my web site as well.

www.kcskustomcreations.com

I may be reached via email at [email protected]

KC
USMC (Ret.)
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 5:26:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jake0326] [#46]
Im currently a Recon Marine who also happens to be a gun nut (I know, go figure ) Ive only been in since 2012 so Ive only ever heard about the MEUSOC and how much better it is than our COLT CQBPs that I'm used to shooting. Of course you become numb to the "back in my day" shit and learn to ignore it after a while but being the gun nut I am Ive always been curious of the MEUSOC pistols to see if they actually do live up to the hype. So I just PCSed earlier this year to 1st Bn from Force Company at 3rd in Oki and had been hearing rumors around the unit that we still had some MEUSOCs hiding in our H&S company armory and thought it was just typical LCPL underground bullshit. But when one of my younger team guys told me he actually got to fire one at a random range he did with H&S, I had to go see if he was full of shit or not. Low and behold, we have somewhere upwards of 70 of these bad boys stashed away in the armory only seeing the light of day if I had to guess once every year if not every two years... The slide fit, trigger pull, barrel fit, everything feels better than our shot out colts(they get abused). Unfortunately I only got to dry fire it but Im going to have to figure out a way to get these out to one of our upcoming ranges, shouldn't be too hard with the senior enlisted (who also had no idea we had them) being fanboys of these guns too. So the Civilian Marksmanship Program is in the process of legalizing the sale of surplus Army 1911s to the public, we need to find a way to make sure these pistols find their way into this program and not allow Marine DRMO send them off to be melted down. Anyway, here are some pics of the one I handled

Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#47]
That’s one hell of a first post Jake!
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#48]
S/F Jake. Nice looking gun. To bad you didn't get to shoot them.

Are you at camp Hansen?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jake0326:
Im currently a Recon Marine who also happens to be a gun nut (I know, go figure ) Ive only been in since 2012 so Ive only ever heard about the MEUSOC and how much better it is than our COLT CQBPs that I'm used to shooting. Of course you become numb to the "back in my day" shit and learn to ignore it after a while but being the gun nut I am Ive always been curious of the MEUSOC pistols to see if they actually do live up to the hype. So I just PCSed earlier this year to 1st Bn from Force Company at 3rd in Oki and had been hearing rumors around the unit that we still had some MEUSOCs hiding in our H&S company armory and thought it was just typical LCPL underground bullshit. But when one of my younger team guys told me he actually got to fire one at a random range he did with H&S, I had to go see if he was full of shit or not. Low and behold, we have somewhere upwards of 70 of these bad boys stashed away in the armory only seeing the light of day if I had to guess once every year if not every two years... The slide fit, trigger pull, barrel fit, everything feels better than our shot out colts(they get abused). Unfortunately I only got to dry fire it but Im going to have to figure out a way to get these out to one of our upcoming ranges, shouldn't be too hard with the senior enlisted (who also had no idea we had them) being fanboys of these guns too. So the Civilian Marksmanship Program is in the process of legalizing the sale of surplus Army 1911s to the public, we need to find a way to make sure these pistols find their way into this program and not allow Marine DRMO send them off to be melted down. Anyway, here are some pics of the one I handled

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4487/23889479248_53e90889ce_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4475/37742334671_9111a783f2_c.jpg
View Quote
The fuck is wrong with your thumb?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:54:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SecretSquirell:
The fuck is wrong with your thumb?
View Quote
Ya idk, I haven’t really narrowed it down to one thing other than I’m just rough on my hands in general.
Page / 71
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top