Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/9/2006 5:32:37 PM EDT
The Para-Ord forum just doesn't get any traffic, so I'm asking here. I want some words from the pros, and I know you're out there.

I'm looking at being restricted to a double action gun very shortly, due to an upcoming job, and I'm still really in love with my 1911. I have Glock, Sig, Kahr, and a few others but they really don't compare to the feel of a good 1911 frame in my hands. With that said, the only option that I know of is the Para LDA.

Link

This LDA thing, is it as heavy as a normal DA trigger? Is there a pre-cocked hammer, like the H&K LEM, or a true DA?
Are the single stack able to fit in a standard 1911 holster?
Are these beasts reliable?
Do standard 1911 mags work?

I guess I really have an assload of questions, but I have not been able to lay hands on one around here, so I just have to ask you guys. What are you impressions of them, and are they worth the asking price?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:12:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/9/2006 8:32:08 PM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]

Originally Posted By ikor:
What is wrong with your USP in .40? Very decent handgun, and very capable, too.

I couldn't adapt to the USP, so off it went. I have never wanted to like a gun so much, yet been so disappointed as with the H&K. There was really nothing wrong with the gun, but I simply did not like it or shoot it well. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I shot it poorly compared to all my other handguns.

I may give another a try in the future, but for now, it looks like I'm trying to find that DA "niche". Sucks that the state won't allow me to use SA off-duty. Sig may very well be the one for me.

Edit: I did get a good enough deal on the H&K that I didn't lose anything, though.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:47:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

This LDA thing, is it as heavy as a normal DA trigger? Is there a pre-cocked hammer, like the H&K LEM, or a true DA?

Absolutely NOT as heavy. Hence the "Light" Double Action LDA. The hammer is smooth to the back of the frame. As you pull the trigger, the hammer comes back. There is a point in the trigger pull where you can feel the trigger "set". Apply a little more pressure and "bang"

Are the single stack able to fit in a standard 1911 holster?

Either the single or double stacks should fit a holster that doesn't cover the grip portion. The guns aren't any wider until you get to the grip area where the double stack mag has to fit

Are these beasts reliable?

I have no personal experience with one other than playing with a Tac Four over and over and over again at the local fun shop and wanting to take it home with me, but never getting up the courage to explain to the wife why I have 4 1911s....

Do standard 1911 mags work?

On the singe stack guns, yes

Hope that helps some....

Woody
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:52:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By WWoodworth:

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Absolutely NOT as heavy. Hence the "Light" Double Action LDA. The hammer is smooth to the back of the frame. As you pull the trigger, the hammer comes back. There is a point in the trigger pull where you can feel the trigger "set". Apply a little more pressure and "bang"

So it's still a "safety on" kind of carry and not a Beretta type of DA where you can carry without the safety. Makes sense.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:30:18 PM EDT
I owned 2

P14 (stolen) It was a workhorse. I put in a Wilson Combat med weight guide rod and went through a good 10,000-15,000 without MECHANICAL malfunction.

C7 Companion: fucking nightmare. I could write a novel on reliability issues and shoddiness. They replaced that with another lemon (they fucked up drilling the holes on the SS). So they replaced it a 3rd time. That had problems so I had them do all this shit to it and with the new guide rod system etc it is supposed to be fine. If nobody wants to buy it it will be a BUG or a safe queen.

The triggerpull on a LDA is actually amazing. I sold alot of people on that as I let them try her out over the years. It functions like a DAO revolver with a visible hammer. But I'll tell you, even a polished Smith doesn't feel that good. I have heard lots of detractors about the reliability of the LDA trigger, but I never had a trigger problem with any of the ones I had. Para's real problem these days are is shoddy-as-fuck workmanship that goes into their new pistols. MIM out the ass, poor finish, and the heat treating process on the slides makes for soft spots. Plus everything is cast. Para was one hell of an up & commer 1994-2001. They were (are) very innovative, but I feel they have gone in the shitter as of 2003. Customer service WAS amazing and one of their huge selling points. It has declined considerably since IMO.

While the LDA trigger feels very smooth, I would NOT buy a new Para again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:43:42 AM EDT
QC IS spotty on Para-ord pistols. But a good one is generally good enough to trust.

If you're used to the single action 1911, get lots of practice with the LDA. I could never get used to the hellaciously longer trigger reset.

I WANTED to like my LDA-7.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 1:57:29 PM EDT
I recently bought a Tac S, single stack LDA Commander sized gun. I've been wanting to play with the LDA for some time, but the prices on Paras lately have been insane. Anyway, I found one at Gander Mtn for $679 which was $100 lower then anywhere else i'd come across, so I grabbed it.

So far, mine has been fantasically accurate. The trigger is not like HK's LEM. You cannot reset the trigger like you can the LEM, you have to let it go all the way. The nice part is that the pull is lighter and breaks cleaner then the LEM. Actual groups shot indicate this gun is as accurate as any production 1911 i've ever had. I typically carry a Baer which is an accurate gun, and I wasn't disappointed by the accuracy of the Para.

Reliability-wise, i've only got about 100-150 rounds through it so far, all FMJ and LSWC. I've had no feeding related problems. The mag catch is a piece of junk. It will occasionally jam in the release position and will not hold the new mag until you re-lock the release in place with a screwdriver. The good news is that its a standard single stack 1911 part, so i'll be replacing it shortly. Thus far, I would say with a new release it should be a trustworthy gun. I just really wish Para could inspire my confidence more. Castings and MIM never thrill me, but again, thus far not too bad.

later,
AJ
Top Top