Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2006 7:29:12 PM EDT
First, a bit of a range report...

Just got my first 1911, a full size Loaded parkerized Springfield Armory.  I took it to the range and put about 200 rounds through it.  

Seems pretty accurate so far and feels comfortable to shoot.  I used some new Wilson Combat mags and the stock SA mags.  The Remington 230 gr FMJ worked fine, as did the white box Winchester, 230 gr.  I had a few problems with the Blazer Brass ammo feeding ever now and then.

Near the end of my ammo, I noticed a funny double-image sight picture.  Turns out the roll pin holding the front sight on had worked its way out.  It was poking up straight out of the sight.  The sight was now loose enough to slide back and forth (side to side) in the dove tail.

What is the best way to reinstall the front sight and pin?  Should I put some kind of adhesive under the sight (what kind?), and maybe some blue Loctite on the roll pin?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Loctite on the roll pin and drive it back down.  Be careful that it doesn't extend below the bottom of the hole.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:48:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You can peen some metal in the center of the dovetail cut with a center punch to help hold the sight in place.  Or, depending on how bad the fit is, you can gently tap the edges of the dovetail cut to tighten up the fit of the front sight.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Loctite on the roll pin and drive it back down.  Be careful that it doesn't extend below the bottom of the hole.

SA has a lifetime warranty, you might just want to sent it back and get it done correctly.  Loctite is great for the cheap fix, but this should not be the case with a new pistol.

Last thing you want to do is void that warranty.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems like this should be a simple fix, I hate to send it back for something this minor.

The Loctite ought to take care of the pin.  There was some (failed) adhesive between the sight and the slide, so I would like to put something back there for a little added security.  I just don't want something too permanent, in case it ever needs to come back off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top