Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 5:03:26 PM EDT
I got a like new GI Model SA 1911 as a trade for my XD.

Trying to take it apart and the slide stop will not budge.. I lined up the notch on the side.. it will move a tad, but will not come out.

I dont know if it ever has been yet.. any tips to get it lose?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Light pressure from other side with a pen or Q-tip.
Congrats on the new toy, welcome to the disease.
You can't have just one.  

BTW, you DID release the spring tension first, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:16 PM EDT
[#2]
What  notch are you linging up?

sometimes they need a little help when new. I use a brass drift from the opposite side or a screwdriver from  slide stop side.

Remove the recoil spring first, them make sure your lined up with the notch   smaller more rear (closer to hammer) notch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#3]
shoot it first then try it.
Did you read the manual?
A few people have tried to field strip it like a conventional semi auto pistol and it dosen't work that way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
You do not have to remove the recoil spring for removal of the slide stop. It just makes it easier if you do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I did remove the recoil spring, I found some instructions online and I could get the slide stop to move just not come out.. I think I might try tapping it out with something.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I know Springfieds had a put a dimple on my slide stop to help keep the gun from going into slide premature.   I ground that dimple out as I modfy all my base pads to remove the pad for slidelock.

That dimple made it a pain to remove the slidestop. I always needed a tool even after 5k thru the gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#7]
It's a GI Model...
take down by removing the slide catch
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#8]
NEWS FLASH
slide stop= slide catch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top