Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/5/2006 5:03:26 PM EDT
I got a like new GI Model SA 1911 as a trade for my XD.

Trying to take it apart and the slide stop will not budge.. I lined up the notch on the side.. it will move a tad, but will not come out.

I dont know if it ever has been yet.. any tips to get it lose?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 5:26:40 PM EDT by RSF45]
Light pressure from other side with a pen or Q-tip.
Congrats on the new toy, welcome to the disease.
You can't have just one.

BTW, you DID release the spring tension first, right?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:29:16 PM EDT
What notch are you linging up?

sometimes they need a little help when new. I use a brass drift from the opposite side or a screwdriver from slide stop side.

Remove the recoil spring first, them make sure your lined up with the notch smaller more rear (closer to hammer) notch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:36:42 PM EDT
shoot it first then try it.
Did you read the manual?
A few people have tried to field strip it like a conventional semi auto pistol and it dosen't work that way.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:42 PM EDT
You do not have to remove the recoil spring for removal of the slide stop. It just makes it easier if you do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:11:44 PM EDT
I did remove the recoil spring, I found some instructions online and I could get the slide stop to move just not come out.. I think I might try tapping it out with something.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:07:16 AM EDT
I know Springfieds had a put a dimple on my slide stop to help keep the gun from going into slide premature. I ground that dimple out as I modfy all my base pads to remove the pad for slidelock.

That dimple made it a pain to remove the slidestop. I always needed a tool even after 5k thru the gun.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:52:26 AM EDT
It's a GI Model...
take down by removing the slide catch
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:06:48 AM EDT
NEWS FLASH
slide stop= slide catch
Top Top