Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 10:48:41 AM EDT
Been lurking in here the past few days and need some help.  

I am considering trading off some pistols I never shoot to acquire one very nice 1911 strictly for range/plinking duty.  I have read a lot of threads about Kimbers, Springfields, RRA, RIA, Les Baer, etc. but I think I want to buy a Colt, preferably one that is not new production.   For some reason, I like older guns-can't explain it.  I want to get something that does not need a lot of upgrades, and I want to stay in the $1,000 range.  

Anyway, I have been looking more and more at Colt Gold Cup Series 70 and Series 80 pistols.  As seen on gunbroker, here, and glocktalk, prices range from $900 (lightly used) to $1200.  But I am confused, I think some of these guns were made in the 1980s, and some I think are reproductions.  How can I tell the difference?  I don't want to overpay or get ripped off.  Plus, I was wondering what everyone's overall assessment of these pistols is, so current or past owners please speak up.  Any suggestions or general info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited to add:  Would a Gold Cup National Match be good to go right out of the box?  Are they tack drivers?  Is it worth $1000+ ?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few Colt Gold Cups. They are all excellent pistols. Their prices vary widely. You can get an excellent deal if you shop carefully at the gun shows.

The one I like the best was a Colt Gold Cup Trophy that I recently picked up at a gun show for $920 that was LNIB. The difference was that this one came out of the Custom Shop with all the goodies on it. The trigger action is the best of any of the others I have by far. They guy was the original owner and had to wait a year for it. All I needed to do was get rid of the plasic grips with something extremely cool, as you can see below.

But I had also had Gold Cups that I had to upgrade to get them the way I wanted too. One I paid over $1100 for one late last year and threw another few hundred in to it to get it to work up to the standards I expect from a Gold Cup. Needless to say I bought that one off the Internet!

You are correct, in that that I have seen (and paid) prices all over the place. A NM is much more expensive. I think if you are careful you can find a Gold Cup LNIB for under a $1000 with all the goodies. Just to be ripped off by all the auctions and Internet deals.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
flame red has it just right.....i was looking for a govt model at the time...and ended up with a gold cup....as i believe was a 90-95 mfg...still nib and the guy was willing to deal....i was sceptical....not being as "knowlegable" as today...i went for the deal.....this colt is far more smoother than any i own(6)..and as is my habit...always have to "play"...so there are  now...many "enhancements".....point is....if you want a "excellent" 1911 out of the box....you really can`t do much better....accuracy as well as reliability....it doesn`t matter what anyone says on this site...far as ...kimber...sa...etc..etc...and not to say that i would`nt approve of some of these pistols...as there are many--many excellent ones....but in my experience....colt is the basic....go from there.....i will put my gold cup against anyones....yes...anyones...on this sight....i have no more than 1200 in my colt gold cup pistol.....use it as you may.....best of luck.........p/s...all the "mods" were my own.....for what it`s worth........b/g......p/s...these are "hand fitted"..by colt....and the parts are "nm"...so...take that for what it`s worth....
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I...don't....know....W....T...F...is...up...with...all...the..."...s"...but...I...am...going...nuts...trying...to...read...that.

What I know is that Colts are like readheads in reverse.

Redheads: 75% of them are fugly, 20% are unbelievably hot, and 5% are decent looking

Colts: 75% look/feel better than their competitors, 20% are lemons or something aesthetically is horribly wrong, 5% have minor problems.

Note: Don't take stock in those #s for Colt. Those are thrown out there to give you an appreciation of the proportions.. the lemons might be a smaller %. DO take stock in the redheads numbers though.

Are the Gold Cups worth $1,000+? No. Not to me. I like combat pistols, and when I plink I practice with those targets, distances, and that mindset. You on the otherhand have your own purpose(s) and your own taste. I paid $2,300 for a CQB compact for my carry piece. Some of you probably shake your head, thinking Springfield Compact + reliability job+Kimber Desert Warrior/Colt/SA Operator (hmmmm... now I'm scratching my head) Seriously, it was worth it to me even though it might be nuts to some. "Overpaying" $200 now for something you are truly happy with is anything but. Underpay for something you don't want and you'll either found you overpaid when you end up buying twice to get it right, or you'lll just have the "inferior" one and kick yourself everytime you think of it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:48:44 AM EDT
[#4]
............hhhhhmmmm................bothers you?.........great..........it serves it`s purpose......as you put it in your post...........to each his own.........country boy...........just .........glad...........i`m ..........not..............nuts!!!..................
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]
It..........
would.........
be..........
sad........
indeed........
that.......
with........
all........
those............
schools.........
inthecity........
a"countryboy".......
has.............
to.............
help.......
you......
with.......
your........
grammar.....
Case in point, "serves its purpose" no apostrophe unless you are trying to say "it is". It is also helpful to learn what an apostrophe is. It's this. It`s certainly not that. The same goes for I'm. It is also nice to know that the person you're (see? not your) calling a country boy is indeed a country boy. I live in the city down here, just as I grew up in the city up there. I'd say say the assumptions make you look ignorant........but.....something.....tells....me.....we`re....a...............................lit....tle.....late.....for....that....
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
what exactly distinguishes a Gold Cup from a Gold Cup Trophy?What is standard eqipment ?Why not get a Colt 1991 if your gonna throw some money in it anyhow?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I think he explained he likes the classical look of the older vintages, hence his willingness to put some $ up for a used one. He wants a shooter with style that suits him, and that ugly-ass 1991 doesn't suit anybody's style other than the no-nonsense, no frills shooters.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
what exactly distinguishes a Gold Cup from a Gold Cup Trophy?What is standard eqipment ?Why not get a Colt 1991 if your gonna throw some money in it anyhow?

...you have a valid point.....but if you`re willing to spend the$ then start with a "better" made and go from there...you won`t get the same quality with "run of the mill" handgun...compared to a "custom shop" type...which is in part what a gold cup is...far as the "name"....it is basically "marketing"...
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Series 70 Repro's are the best deal in Colt pistols right now.  You can get them as low as 550 in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top