Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2006 5:14:26 PM EDT
I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 and I'm debating getting a Magwell.  Do they help that much?  and do they add very much bulk to the gun?  Can anyone recommend a good one?  I plan on getting a CCW permit and was wondering if it would help that much or make the gun harder to conceal.  I am 6'3 and about 160lbs.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:44:14 PM EDT
[#1]
They will make mag changes quicker, and they will add bulk.
I use one for matches, but I also use an SA Loaded with a standard magwell given a slight bevel. That works almost as well and adds no bulk.

Jim
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I like them.  They add a VERY little to the gun if you are already using mags with base pads.

Stick with Smith & Alexander.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I like them.  They add a VERY little to the gun if you are already using mags with base pads.

Stick with Smith & Alexander.  

+1

h/w, for my old 1911 CCW, i wanted it as compact and slim as possible so i did not put a magwell on my SW

they do make the mag changes a lot smoother
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
To magwell or not?  This is a huge personal preference issue.  I say try it and see what you think.  

If you go with a magwell, get the S&A.  

It may be a drop-in (with a mainspring, cap, retaining pin, mainspring pin retaining pin swap), or you may have to narrow it to fit your frame.  

Pay a smith to blend it to the frame.  You'll be much happier with the results.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:50:26 AM EDT
[#5]
When I bought my Wilson combat the feature was asked. $125?! I thought it was nuts and opted out. The $ was high but a pistolsmith was also hand-blending the chute to the bevels in the magwell. I called back and had them add it. the money always sucks on the front end but spread it out over the years and it all makes sense. I can sit there and look into someone's eyes as I quickly slap a mag into the well. Having the ability to train like this (having your eyes available to spot anything else) is worth every penny. It also doesn't add much to the bulk and the Wilson one allows the chute to detach. Definitely worth the add and easy to carry.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The S&A adds about 1/4" to the bottom of the frame.  It makes a big difference especially if it's blended out to an already beveled magwell.  But you will need to have bumper pads added to the bottoms of your magazines, otherwise the mags will have to be seated below the flush bottom, due to that extra 1/4" added.  

There are also a few companies making one that requires the frame to be machined off 1/4" at the bottom and the magwell welded into place.  The advantage here is the huge magwell without the added height, so no need for the mag bumpers on the bottom of the magazines.  Disadvantage is the cost for the work to be done........I have the S&A myself, cause I'm too broke for the welded version.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:17:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the Wilson Magwell on my Springfield. It was well worth the price. The 1/4 inch it adds isn't a problem for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Also... you don't need bumperpads for your main mag. you can take the time and click it into place with your thumb if you are hell bent on counting millimeters for ccw. then you can carry a Wilson 8 rd compact mag as backup (or carry as the main mag and a backup). An extra bullet beats a bumper pad anyday if it's doing the same job.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:01:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 and I'm debating getting a Magwell.  Do they help that much?  and do they add very much bulk to the gun?  Can anyone recommend a good one?  I plan on getting a CCW permit and was wondering if it would help that much or make the gun harder to conceal.  I am 6'3 and about 160lbs.  Thank you very much.

Smith & Alexander mainspring housing/ magwell guide. Flat or arched, blue or stainless!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top