Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 2:49:09 AM EDT
I'm sure both have excellent rep. Which one should I go with for range use, keep in car for reloads, etc....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 3:01:57 AM EDT
on the chip MC power mag I borwed it had a slight interface with my magwell. My wilsons do not have this issue.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 4:44:15 AM EDT by vanilla_gorilla]
Th Wilson has the plastic follower and the CMC does not. Beyond that, I haven't seen a difference.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:11:47 AM EDT
WC 47Ts--spare CCW mags when i carry my 1911

my CMCs wont feed Speer GDs reliably
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:13:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
WC 47Ts--spare CCW mags when i carry my 1911

my CMCs wont feed Speer GDs reliably

I use GD's. so that's that!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:13:58 AM EDT
where's teh best price on them?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:24:54 AM EDT
Back when I used to shoot Limited 10, I messed with both the Wilson and CMC extended magazines. Both have issues. The Wilson mags would mysteriously fail to feed with maddening regularity and the CMC mags would never reliably lock the slide open.

I don't know if I would trust my life to either.

I did borrow some Meg-Gar 10-rounders from a fellow shooter for a match once and they worked perfectly. And I think he said they were $12 each. Those might be the ticket, especially for the money.

You might want to check out Virgil Tripp's 10-rounder. It's only a little more than the Wilson or Chip mag and most people seem to be pretty pleased with it.

Cobra Mags
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:31:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 6:32:36 AM EDT by SHIVAN]
Having run a Blackwater class, EAG 2-Day pistol 3-day carbine, and 10-8 1-day pistol 2-day carbine using mostly CMC Power Mags I'm a pretty big fan.

My ONLY failure of any kind came with a Wilson 47D. Slide locked back with 7 rounds in the mag.

Tap, rack & roll, bang. No biggie.

I would trust either.

I chose CMC Power Mags.

ETA: My defense ammo is Speer Gold Dot too. No issues with it in a Warrior or a Compact CDP II with CMC mags.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
I see them on EE for 28, but natchez has em for 25....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:45:44 AM EDT
I have used both extensively and both work fine if your gun is okay.

The Power Mags may interfere with some mag wells, but that is easily fixed with a file or a dremel. On the other hand, the little stop on the front the Wilson (that prevents overinsertion) is more likely to fail that the "boot" on the CMC,

If I had to choose, I'd give the nod to the CMC Power Mags because they cost less.

I used to use the Mec-Gar 10rd mags before I went to the CMC and Wilson. They worked great and obviously the price is right. The problem is that when you reload at slide lock (which happens more frequently in Limited10), it's very easy to overinsert the magazine if you reload "vigorously." The little tab on the front is nowhere near as effective as the much large counterpart on the Wilson. When it happens, your gun is inoperable until you can hammer it out. If that's not an issue for you, the Mec-Gars would be a good choice (and you can get the 11 round mags now too).
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:47:20 AM EDT
so mecgars are a no no?

I found these at cheaper than dirt, 5-6$ less than wilsons through natchez

CMC power mag:
www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG274-1602-1950.html

SA (looks like a macgar):
www.cheaperthandirt.com/27375-17902-1953.html

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:48:38 AM EDT
cripes CTD is................. cheaper than dirt. Even my ruger 22/45 mags are 5$ less than anywhere else.....
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:56:14 AM EDT
Just mho and ymmv. Any deviations from the original 1911 design can have unexpected consequences (malfunctions). Some go so far as to only use 7 round magazines as most 8 rounders are jamming another round into the 7 round design, while some like Tripp's Cobra is designed as an 8 rounder. For competition, a mf could cost you points. For duty/hd/cd/teotwawki situations, the price would be a bit more.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:57:34 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rhino_:

I used to use the Mec-Gar 10rd mags before I went to the CMC and Wilson. They worked great and obviously the price is right. The problem is that when you reload at slide lock (which happens more frequently in Limited10), it's very easy to overinsert the magazine if you reload "vigorously." The little tab on the front is nowhere near as effective as the much large counterpart on the Wilson. When it happens, your gun is inoperable until you can hammer it out. If that's not an issue for you, the Mec-Gars would be a good choice (and you can get the 11 round mags now too).

I didn't have any problems with over-insertion but I only used the Mec-Gars for one match.

Over-insertion is a fairly common problem with 10-rounders and Wilson are probably the best in regard to this issue.

As I said above, I would not trust my life to anybody's ten-rounder. But, as with most things 1911, your results will vary.

Good luck with whichever mag you decide to use.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:02:18 AM EDT
I have no experience with the 10 round CMC Power mags, but the three Wilson 10 rounders that I own have been very reliable. At least for a ten round mag.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:09:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 7:19:48 AM EDT by yobo]
I have couple of Ed Brown 10 round mags that I been using for about 8 years and they have never had a failure to feed in my Kimber, Colt and SA 1911 pistols. They were more expensive than Wilson or CmC but are worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:15:09 AM EDT
folks, quesiton was re: 10 rounders. I haven't had good luck with 8's to tell you the truth.

I'm gonna get some CMC's, do alot of shooting and report back to y'all.

they're just too cheap from CTD.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:05:11 PM EDT
I have 5 CMC 10 rnd power mag that I purchased for USPSA matches. I should have done some more reading first because I have a aluminum framed kimber and they scratched my frame and feed ramp. The scratches are only through the anodizing and not into the aluminum. They also tend to not lock the slide back. Most problems with CMC mags are due to the crappy follower. The follower has no front skirt so when the last round is stripped from the mag the follower tilts forward and into the frame and feed ramp. this tilting is what also keeps the follower from engaging the slide stop. If you have CMC power mags and dont want to shell out the cash for more mags. Tripp Research sells replacement followers and springs.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:33:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JaredB:
I have 5 CMC 10 rnd power mag that I purchased for USPSA matches. I should have done some more reading first because I have a aluminum framed kimber and they scratched my frame and feed ramp. The scratches are only through the anodizing and not into the aluminum. They also tend to not lock the slide back. Most problems with CMC mags are due to the crappy follower. The follower has no front skirt so when the last round is stripped from the mag the follower tilts forward and into the frame and feed ramp. this tilting is what also keeps the follower from engaging the slide stop. If you have CMC power mags and dont want to shell out the cash for more mags. Tripp Research sells replacement followers and springs.

Note that the Tripp upgrade reduces capacity to 9 rounds.
Top Top