Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 2:02:42 PM EDT
I'm looking to buying another 1911.  I currently have a SA GI45, which is VERY good for the money - I still can't believe how good it is for the mere $400 I paid for it.  It shoots very well and I enjoy to shoot it alot.  So does my dad - and that is the problem.....my dad likes it so much (fits his hand much better than mine).  I'm probably going to just give it to him.her
What are all of your experience with both of these guns?  Which is the better buy?  I don't want a "Springfield v. Kimber" brand war - just honest opinion on the two guns, their parts, performance, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#1]
This is funny.  I just picked up my second Springer and gave my GI to my father.  I picked up a stainless Ultra Compact.  If it were me (and it was ) I would give my buisness to the company who you are obviously happy with.  Get another Springfield.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:20:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Both can make a very nice pistol out of the box.  And both can have issues right off the bat.

Of the last couple of Springfields I've bought, both have had sights that were off.  My parkerized Loaded shot about 6" high at 25 yards and my TRP shoots about 6" low at 25 yards.  If I hadn't sold the Loaded to buy the TRP, I would just swap front sights.  Also, some of the Loaded guns can be a little sloppy with regard to fit and finish.  Springfield has gone to the ILS for lawyer-proofing and it doesn't change the operation of the pistol and can be removed and thrown away easily.

Kimber makes a nice gun and they are usually first class with regard to machining and lack of tool marks, etc.  Stay away from any Kimber with an external extractor!  Yes, some work but many don't.  I think the external extractor guns will have less resale value down the road since Kimber appears to be fazing them out.  Kimber uses the stupid Schwarz safety and it can be out of time and cause a failure to fire.  And if you have a weak grip the gun may not fire even if the hammer falls.  My last Kimber had a bad Series II safety and it had to go back to the factory (returned un-fixed) and then to Tripp Reseacrh for repair.  

Springfield is generally better as far as warranty and repair.  If you're happy with your GI, you'll probably be really happy with a Loaded.

If you can find a clean Kimber Series I pistol, that'd be my choice.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top