Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/22/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
After cleaning, I clean my bore usually with Hoppe's and a little scrubbing with a bronze brush. I've been told by some people that scrubbing with a bronze brush every time I clean the bore will damage the bore more than letting some fouling stand in there. Is there any truth to that. I don't scrub a hundred times, but maybe 10-20 every time I clean it. Someone also told me that using a nylon brush is ok, but not a bronze brush. Who else here scrubs nylon/bronze every cleaning. And who lets some fouling stand once in a while? What are the damages? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't let it worry me.  Most of us will never wear a pistol barrel out, and a bronze brush every so often isn't going to hasten the process very much, if any.

I suppose you've read my other responses to your thread on 1911forum, so that's about all I have to say.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#2]
10-20 times is fine. Do you really think that brush thats moving 1 FT per second is going to wear the BBL as much as a bullet going 850FPS followed by a wall of fire?

Truth be told, a few swipes down the bore followed by some patches is probably plenty for the 1911 bore. Not like the bullet is going fast enought to really deposit a lot of copper. I've seen some soft swaged lead bullets that left a LOT of itself behind tho. If it's that bad tho, I'll let it soak and run a lewis lead remover down the bore.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard many match shooters say over-aggresive cleaning is worse for a barrel than a little fouling.
If you're concerned at all, a patch soaked with solvent wrapped around a nylon brush seems to be a consensus winner for getting fouling out without being too damaging. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
bronze wont hurt a thing, stainless on the other hand bad for barrel, the brush not the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've heard many match shooters say over-aggresive cleaning is worse for a barrel than a little fouling.

That's most-likely because people who like to clean their guns a lot (me) tend to ruin the barrel crown because they're not careful enough with the metal cleaning rod and accessories. I have to agree with the post saying that a bullet traveling supersonic speeds is going to cause more wear than a copper bristle brush.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top