Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/22/2006 3:00:12 PM EDT
After cleaning, I clean my bore usually with Hoppe's and a little scrubbing with a bronze brush. I've been told by some people that scrubbing with a bronze brush every time I clean the bore will damage the bore more than letting some fouling stand in there. Is there any truth to that. I don't scrub a hundred times, but maybe 10-20 every time I clean it. Someone also told me that using a nylon brush is ok, but not a bronze brush. Who else here scrubs nylon/bronze every cleaning. And who lets some fouling stand once in a while? What are the damages? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:12:25 PM EDT
I wouldn't let it worry me. Most of us will never wear a pistol barrel out, and a bronze brush every so often isn't going to hasten the process very much, if any.

I suppose you've read my other responses to your thread on 1911forum, so that's about all I have to say.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:38:45 PM EDT
10-20 times is fine. Do you really think that brush thats moving 1 FT per second is going to wear the BBL as much as a bullet going 850FPS followed by a wall of fire?

Truth be told, a few swipes down the bore followed by some patches is probably plenty for the 1911 bore. Not like the bullet is going fast enought to really deposit a lot of copper. I've seen some soft swaged lead bullets that left a LOT of itself behind tho. If it's that bad tho, I'll let it soak and run a lewis lead remover down the bore.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:06:26 PM EDT
I've heard many match shooters say over-aggresive cleaning is worse for a barrel than a little fouling.
If you're concerned at all, a patch soaked with solvent wrapped around a nylon brush seems to be a consensus winner for getting fouling out without being too damaging. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
bronze wont hurt a thing, stainless on the other hand bad for barrel, the brush not the barrel.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:27:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By drshame:
I've heard many match shooters say over-aggresive cleaning is worse for a barrel than a little fouling.

That's most-likely because people who like to clean their guns a lot (me) tend to ruin the barrel crown because they're not careful enough with the metal cleaning rod and accessories. I have to agree with the post saying that a bullet traveling supersonic speeds is going to cause more wear than a copper bristle brush.
Top Top