Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/18/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
Well, maybe. I ran 300 rounds thorugh the Kimber Desert Warrior today. Only had 100 before now. In the first 200 rounds, I had 5 or 6 premature slidelocks (! Damn, I just went through this with the SA Micro, which is off at SA now, hopefully getting fixed!). Thing is, this time it was obvious, the hardball ammo was bumping the stop. I won't be carrying hardball when I put it in the rotation for carry.

The last 100 rounds was 230 grain Ranger T hollow points. No locks, but one malfunction. Near the end of the bunch, a round bumped the top of the chamber and sort of stayed there. It was the last tround in the mag (all mags were WC 47D, 5 brand new ones and 3 I'd shot before).

Excuses? Well, nearing 300 rounds without a cleaning (no more than wiping the outside with a rag after 100 and 200). The gun is still not yet broken in. The gun was hot. I had done some semi rapid fire, as it became apparant the range was letting that slide at this point (nearing closing time, and they'd thinned out quite a bit, normally they frown on rapid fire).

So, I need to run a couple hundred more of my carry load through it. If that goes without a hitch (and I mean even one) I'll throw it into my carry routine (predicated on my holster getting here sometime in the next.... 3 to 4 months ).

What do you think guys?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:26:50 PM EDT
i'd "keep my eye on it" - i know how frustrating it can be sometimes. But give it some more food, of all variety and let us know
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:33:38 PM EDT
Worry

At least a little.

You bought one of the best Kimber has to offer and the whole "1911s need a break in/need tuning right out of the box" is a bullshit myth. If it's built right and not BONE dry, there should be ZERO problems. I had one 1911 (officer's sized) that required "breaking in." Turns out the break in was more rounds that 500 and I sent the SOB back. On the other hand I picked up a WC CQB compact. They say "don't even disassemble the pistol until you put 500-600 rounds through her. I thought about all the fucking s howling for blood at the thought of a compact 1911 going 500+ rounds from the factory without hiccuping like a drunken midget at the Patty's Day parade.

Not so much as a whisper. Properly made 1911s run properly from the very beginning. Clean her, lube her and run 200 of your carry through her. if that goes well, save your worries for another day. Otherwise send it in.

As for your Micro: WORRY. You have an 75% chance that thing won't run right at all (assuming the barrel's under 4"). That's why it's at SA now. Not because the pistol's a POS... but because the design is unreliable below 4". Those that have a little jackhammer are either those with uber superior components in their pistol and/or the luck of the Irish.

I hopw that Kimber behaves for you next time. There's nothing worse than ponying up so much $ for a premier piece and losing all confidence in carrying it. That's why I blew over $2k in my CQB custom. I was done fucking around and I was bound to get it dead-on right. Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:19:53 PM EDT
Thanks guys. The Micro will be fine. Just not sure what it will take to get it there. I'm determined (and we've recently had a thread here that contained like 10 respondants on 3 to 3.5 inch 1911's that ran great, so I know it's possible). As for Wilson Combat, that is my next planned purchase. It'll probably be a full sized 1911, and it'll probably be mid/end of summer.

As for the Kimber, it'll be 200 rounds of what I plan to carry (Ranger T) before I am somewhat confident to carry. 300 will do the trick! If it hiccups, it's goin' back to Kimber
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:24:17 PM EDT
yeah put some more rounds though it, if it starts to shit itself, I would try different mags, if it still continues to shit itself, call kimber and get them to make it right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:45:12 PM EDT
Yeah, I'd definitely worry. That's not typical. Get the round count up and hopefully it'll break-in and you won't have to worry about.

Or trade it for a Wilson CQB . Best firearm I've ever owned -- period. With absolutely no reservations that thing has been perfect. 100% reliable and I am so damn accurate with it it's scary. I am soooo much more accurate with that than any other weapon I own.

The Ed Brown Kobra Carry in my avatar pic is nice too .
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:17:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:53:46 AM EDT
Just so happens I have a "spare" WC Bullet Proof slide stop sitting around.... (bought it for the Micro, but failed to cure it's ills). I was thinking of dropping it in to see what happened. Probably try that soon.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:30:41 PM EDT
I say send it to Kimber. They had my warrior for a few weeks but when it came back it was a new gun. They polished, smoothed, cleaned up and fixed the sights so it shot where it was pointed at. It has been 100% since then with ALL kinds of loads. I feel like I got alot for my $23.00 shipping. It was kinda like yours when I first got it. It only liked certain loads and it shot a little high left.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:58:07 PM EDT
Actually, mine hits right where it should (unlike my SA's, even my carry piece PX9109L shoots quite low). And as for the $23..... I just spent nearly 60 sending back my Micro (listened to them on including the blue box, and didn't have a properly sized box to put it in... I won't make that mistake again). I will run it some more, if it balks with hollow points, I'll send it in.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
I had a similar problem on a Kimber. I tried the Wilson Bulletproof and still had the same problem, so I filed a very small bit of metal off of the inside of the slide stop and the problem went away.

The slide stop should contact the follower on the magazine but not the rounds. You just have to find the point where that happens for you.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:39:14 PM EDT
I'd look long and hard at your support hand fingers.
Shoot fast under stress, have a buddy observe from the side.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 9:55:03 PM EDT by pistolwretch]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:50:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 9:54:37 PM EDT by pistolwretch]
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/20/2006 7:36:00 AM EDT by Red_Label]
Hmmm... this is very interesting. I get nothing but grief for owning full-size and officer's-size Charles Daly pistols from some guys (like the one who posted directly above me) and yet neither of them has had a hiccup in several thousand rounds (between the two). I will admit that the compact WILL stove-pipe when I forget to do my part and limp wrist it. But as soon as I realize what I'm doing and correct this it's 100% reliable. My point? Not to knock other brands but to illustrate to the gun snobs that ANY brand can have a lemon or at least a gun that needs a little TLC and modification to realize its full potential. And ANY brand can put guns out there that function flawlessly from the get-go. Like my Charles Daly's.

P.S. I owned a Springfield that had some issues and was not as realiable as my Daly's. So I sold it. But I wouldn't hesitate try another Springfield in the future. I HATE to admit this, but the Glock guys do have ONE point... 1911's are more likely to be finicky out of the box than Glocks are. I can deal with that... but I still won't own an ugly plastic gun and I hate DA triggers...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:20:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2006 6:06:28 PM EDT by TBoneDetroit]

Originally Posted By pistolwretch:
I'd look long and hard at your support hand fingers.
Shoot fast under stress, have a buddy observe from the side.

Thanks for the thought. Sorry for the late reply, I got off work late. I should point out that I'm left handed, so what you are envisioning may or may not apply.

I actually conciously looked at the possibility I was bumping the stop with the Micro and the Kimber, but I'm not.Closest thing to it is my trigger finger, and it's not hitting. With the Kimber, I am certain it was being bumped by the nose of the FMJ's. I may try the WC bullet proof (it has a small groove already built in, but it didn't fix my Micro). May try something else. I am certain I will get it sorted out (with both pistols...... meanwhile, my full size SA Loaded continues to rock!)

Red Label, glad you like your Charles Daly. But I hope you're not implying my Kimber is a lemon. It most certainly is not. And the accuracy is better than any pistol I've ever owned. As to Glocks, well, I've got three, and they run great. But they've got no soul......
Top Top