Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 9:45:09 PM EDT
Does anybody have one that they can give me a review on. I am thinking about buying one. Any info would help.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:12:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Tiny sights and all, my SS GI outshoots any 1911 I have ever owned.  It's a great piece at a great price...

I've found a good deal of variance in trigger pulls on Springfields.  I'd dry fire them 'til you found the one you like best...
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:17:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a green coated one.   Best $400 I ever spent on a gun.    Up around 2500 or so rounds now through it and not a single hiccup.    The grip safety could use some filing on the sharp edges but that's about the only bad thing on the gun.   The tiny sights are slow to use but are actually pretty good when shooting longer distances.   It hits where you want it to and is pretty damned accurate for a stock gun.   My slide/frame have virtually no slop whatsoever.  

I love it, a buddy at work bought one exactly like mine and he's also converted.   His glock stays in the safe and he carries a stock GI.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Same on the sights.  Luckily, new sights can be placed on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#4]
From what I hear you can't find a better use for $400.

I can't WAIT to get one.

This is also the pistol most use to build their own "Custom" 1911.

That is my plan with it, get used to it stock and work out any bugs and then slowly over the years add mods to it so that at one point she'll be all finished exactly the way I like her.

You just can't go wrong with one of these.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one, the only thing I changed was the short trigger, I like it and the sights are great if your going to carry it, they won't snag on anything but they are small.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
i have one and love it. But its a bit too big and heavy for CCW. So, im goin to part with this one and get a SA Champion.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Just bought the lightweight GI Champion model off a user on the EE.  Will be my first real handgun (something I actually plan on using and shooting a lot) and my CCW, my CHL was just completed and on it's way.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine's a GI Champion parkerized.

You can't BUY a better basic 1911 for anywhere near the price of an SA
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 of them, 2 Champions (one SS, one park'd), and one 5".  All great guns for the money.  No failures yet.  The trigger pull on all of them is a little bit heavy, and the thumb safeties on the two park'd models are really stiff, but with enough cycling, I guess they'll smooth out.  They're all great shooters though that hit right where you point 'em.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#10]
These are THE choice if you want a platform to build on.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]

I'm an inch away from one of these.  I had previously been deciding on a USP tactical vs XD tactical 45ACP vs Kimber TLE/RL II, but I don't know if I can resist a 400$ 1911 that goes bang every time and can be upgraded later if I feel the need.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine has been 100% relibale.

The thunb safety and grip safety will start eating up your hand though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Great guns, capable of becoming whatever you choose. Some take a little tweaking to run right, and they commonly need their extractors tuned to run better. Mine has all the internals changed to better parts, actual Colts' WW-II wide ring grips and different slide-stop and USGI style thumb safety.
Looks like an actual WW-II Gi.45 and that's the way I want it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm an inch away from one of these.  I had previously been deciding on a USP tactical vs XD tactical 45ACP vs Kimber TLE/RL II, but I don't know if I can resist a 400$ 1911 that goes bang every time and can be upgraded later if I feel the need.

Ya know ya wanna.

Best bang for the buck IMO. This never gave a hiccup from day one. Im only moving on to get something I can CCW.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya know ya wanna.

i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/die-tryin/PICII0003.jpg

Best bang for the buck IMO. This never gave a hiccup from day one. Im only moving on to get something I can CCW.

I'm getting there. I need to sell some of my stuff first.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:02:28 PM EDT
[#16]
okay I got a question on these as well:

I bought two of them last Friday

One shoots SUPERB, flawless, great pistola
The other one...... well, is less than desireable. At 7 yards I cant even hit the damned stand, let alone the target. I see nothing different between the two. I mean NOT a thing! It is as consitant as the gov't.
Gimmie some insight so when I go back to the store ( which is 80 miles away) what to tell them more than what I know.
I may either be going back to morrow or Thurs. depends on when my mag for this comes in.
Its a .45 too not a whimpy nine  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
My favorite pistola!!!

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 2:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I bought two of them last Friday hootsThe other one...... well, is less than desireable. At 7 yards I cant even hit the damned stand, let alone the target. I see nothing different between the two. I mean NOT a thing! It is as consitant as the gov't.
Gimmie some insight so when I go back to the store ( which is 80 miles away) what to tell them more than what I know.

Were they both bought new?  Where is the bad one hitting?  Does the trigger feel the same?

Since they are both the same... you COULD swap out parts between them.  Barrel, recoil spring, etc... figure out where it is giving you problems.  Just make sure you keep track of which parts you tested so you can put the good one back together at the end of the day.

ETA:
If/when I stop finding better deals I'll pick one of these up.  I still have some 1911 mags from my last gun.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought two of them last Friday

One shoots SUPERB, flawless, great pistola
The other one...... well, is less than desireable. At 7 yards I cant even hit the damned stand, let alone the target. I see nothing different between the two. I mean NOT a thing! It is as consitant as the gov't.

Were they both bought new? YES
Where is the bad one hitting? Low and to the left
 Does the trigger feel the same? Yes

Since they are both the same... you COULD swap out parts between them.  Barrel, recoil spring, etc... figure out where it is giving you problems.  Just make sure you keep track of which parts you tested so you can put the good one back together at the end of the day.

ETA:
If/when I stop finding better deals I'll pick one of these up.  I still have some 1911 mags from my last gun.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#20]
i've got a 5" GI and love it.  i was looking for a basic, inexpensive platform to build on, and i specifically wanted a slide that did NOT have a lowered, flared port.  i really hate the GI sights, and couldn't wait to cut the slide and install trijicon dovetails both F and R.

starting with my stainless GI, i added a match trigger (w/ quality trigger job from highly ranked 1911  comp shooter), ambi safety, delta hammer, sear, checkered mainspring housing, 2 pc guide, guide plug, ext mag release, ext slide stop, beavertail, silver alumagrips, checkered frontstrap, trijicon NS,  tightened everything up and polished it.  looks so good i can't bear to carry the damn thing now.  shoots like a dream, and looks sexier than Sharon Stone in a leather teddy.

my next round of mods - after a couple thousand rnds - will include a new firing pin, ejector, extractor, heavy duty recoil spring and buffer, more trigger tuning, and a match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
+1 to all of above

I currently own only 1 1911, a SA GI45.  It is by far one of the guns that I enjoy shooting the most.  My father was indifferent to my purchase a year ago - but now, he is hooked on my GI.  I'm probably just going to give it to him, and buy another GI-so i can build it to how I like it.  

Cant go wrong.  you can always sell it later if you don't like it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Have a SS WWII,despite some teething issues(barrel and frame replacement) which SA backed up with their Lifetime Warranty,I love it.Hammer hole was drilled crooked,and barrel hood too short as recieved NIB,so back it went.SA upgraded the cheezy 2-pc "pipe" to the stainless "Match" barrel,which cut groups in half at 50'.They WILL stand behind their products,period.Mine was $425 OTD and worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does anybody have one that they can give me a review on. I am thinking about buying one. Any info would help.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=49&t=24770  
(I do not know how to post a direct, highlighted link.  Maybe a Mod could fix it?)

Here is mine.  Since this, I have taken the gun out a few times and it has performed flawlessly.  IMO this is a great buy for a full build or just a "Shooter".  If looking to have some work done but you want to keep the original look of the gun, the YO-BO "*1" is a good package to check out.  Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top