Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:11:15 PM EDT
Help?

Out shooting today, I hand cycled a round into the chamber and the hammer followed to half cock.   I can replicate this at home by rapidly hand cycling without chambering anything.   The pistol did not malfunction in any during firing but something is worn out.   The hammer is an Ed Brown barstock with about a zillion rounds on it and the sear is factory SA from 1992.   I'm suspecting the sear is worn but figured I'd ask a few more knowledgeable folks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:55:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Most likely a problem with the sear and hammer hook relationship. Charles.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:57:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Slamming the slide forward without a round in the chamber will lead to this.  Do you do this a lot?  When the sear gets worn, slamming the slide forward will make it go to half cock, almost every time.  

I played with dozens of USMC 1911A1s in one of the Armorys at Campen and every gun did this when slamming the slide forward, but they worked fine with ammo.

Don't slam the slide forward without chambering!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#3]
My Springfield did this out of the box.  

I read this:

SEAR ENGAGEMENT TEST: Lock the slide back, grip gun normally, then release the slide stop, allowing slide to slam home with force. The hammer should NOT fall for any reason. If it does then the hammer/sear engagement is too weak. Repeat test once again to be sure.

From www.coolgunsite.com/funcheck/function.htm

So I sent it back to Springfield.  It does not do it anymore.  Weak sear enagagement.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Slamming the slide forward without a round in the chamber will lead to this.  Do you do this a lot?  When the sear gets worn, slamming the slide forward will make it go to half cock, almost every time.  

I played with dozens of USMC 1911A1s in one of the Armorys at Campen and every gun did this when slamming the slide forward, but they worked fine with ammo.

Don't slam the slide forward without chambering!!!

No this is not a regular practice.   I was chambering a live round when this occurred.   This is the FIRST time it's ever done it.    I went home to replicate the issue without a round because I had to be certain I didnt do something screwy at the range and made the problem myself.   My reloading room is in shambles right now so assembling dummy rounds for testing wasnt much of an option.

I'll order up an Ed Brown sear and spring from brownells.   ( gawd I love this C&R FFL discount!)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top