Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 3:21:50 PM EDT
Say, for example, I'm at the carwash, and I have to draw down () with my 1911. Are you supposed to take the safety off immediately (as part of the draw), or only once you've decided to fire (as part of putting your finger in the triggerguard)? What's the thinking on this from all the local ninjas?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
As part of the presentation, as the pistol is rotated up towards the horizontal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If the need is great enough to clear the holster the safety is comming off.

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:30:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I usually only take the safety off before I twirl it on my finger.
Just kidding.... DON'T ACTUALLY DO THAT!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
So, part of the draw.. Sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+100..once it clears leather, *snick*..the safety is off.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Draw the pistol.  Once the barrel clears the holster start to pivot the pistol towards the target as you are bringing the pistol up to your chest.  Your support hand meets your weak hand in front of your chest, about nipple high.  It is at this point I am thumbing off the safety.  Drive the pistol straight out towards the target.  About a foot away from your chest your eyes should pick up the front sight.  Drive the front sight to the target, engaging the target as necessary (i.e. you don't need to be at full extension to start firing).

As said, if you feel danger enough to warrant brandishing the firearm you should be 100% ready (meaning safety off) to engage the threat.

Sounds good.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2

+whatevernumberyouwannause

Woody
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had this conversation with a fellow shooter tonight. I hadn't really ever thought about when I took the safety off when I drew, I just did it. I discovered that I disengaged the safety after the gun had cleared leather and was about half way to being  completely aimed.

I don't know if that's right or wrong. So I'll leave it that way until I here different.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:58:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I just had this conversation with a fellow shooter tonight. I hadn't really ever thought about when I took the safety off when I drew, I just did it. I discovered that I disengaged the safety after the gun had cleared leather and was about half way to being  completely aimed.

I don't know if that's right or wrong. So I'll leave it that way until I here different.

where is your left hand when your clicking the safety off, is the question of the moment
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:34:06 AM EDT
[#13]
My safety does not come off until sights are on target.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#14]
The final safety is the trigger finger.  It doesn't go on the trigger until I'm ready to fire. The thumb safety should be off as soon as you present the weapon.  This is a great explanation.

"Draw the pistol. Once the barrel clears the holster start to pivot the pistol towards the target as you are bringing the pistol up to your chest. Your support hand meets your weak hand in front of your chest, about nipple high. It is at this point I am thumbing off the safety."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top