Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2006 4:36:36 PM EDT
Even without being able to feel the lockup/trigger would you purchase online?

I am looking at a kimber Customer II or a Smith & Wesson 1911 and all the dealers around me charge $300-$400 more depending on model, yet when I search online I can get them from reputable dealers in the $650-$750 range.

Should I buy online?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have bought every 1911 I have ever had online.  If you try the same gun in the shop it should be pretty much the same as the one you get.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have bought every 1911 I have ever had online.  If you try the same gun in the shop it should be pretty much the same as the one you get.

ok, I just have noticed variations in triggers in some guns I have felt in the store, but as long as the will be close to the same that is fine.

What are some good places to buy from? Only places I can find 1911s are at aimsurplus and impactguns?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought my Desert Warrior from AJC Sport Shop. Best price I could find on it (and it's dropped a few dollars since).

Prices may vary from dealer to dealer and from time to time. Also might look on Guns America or such. Find a local dealer who does transfers for a nominal fee before hand. I found mine through our Hometwon Forum.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#4]
There can be a vast difference in trigger pull between one gun of the same make and model and another.   I would not let that stop me from getting one at a good price online though.  Most 1911 fanatics get a trigger job sooner or later anyways.  If the same gun is 3 to 4 hundred more from your local dealers, then A.) your dealers truly suck and don't deserve your business, and B.) you will have enough left over for a trigger job and some upgraded parts.  If they really are charging that much over internet prices, it sure is a sorry state of affaris.   Just my 2 cents worth.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I just found the model I want at onpointfirearms...

onpoint
it is the smith and wesson stainless with an integrated rail.

smith with rail
I think I will give them a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:27:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There can be a vast difference in trigger pull between one gun of the same make and model and another.   I would not let that stop me from getting one at a good price online though.  Most 1911 fanatics get a trigger job sooner or later anyways.  If the same gun is 3 to 4 hundred more from your local dealers, then A.) your dealers truly suck and don't deserve your business, and B.) you will have enough left over for a trigger job and some upgraded parts.  If they really are charging that much over internet prices, it sure is a sorry state of affaris.   Just my 2 cents worth.

No, they really are, I dropped by one of the local dealers tonight and they had the same gun basic SW 1911 for $1050, whilst online dealers only want ~$700

To give you an idea, they wanted $645 for the new XD45 acp. While my somewhat-local internet dealer wants $485.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in an area with a lot of gun stores.  $485 for an XD is not even a good deal.  $435 is though.  I was not doubting you, but it's just hard to believe anyone can stay in business with those prices.  Then again, while there are a lot of gun stores in Phoenix, I live a couple cities away, and there is only one gun store in my city.  I went in for the first time the other day, and I saw a Steyr M9 for $699, and a Ruger MKII blued 5.5" heavy barrel, used, for $499.  That guy must be an Arizona relative of your gun dealers.

ETA: $485 is a good deal for an XD45.  I was thinking XD40.  Cheapest XD45 I've seen out here was $475.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
the store is really the only store in town, they have 2 shops. All the other stores have a very limited selection.

The only benefit to buying there is that I know half of the staff and they are all very nice and they normally give me about 10% off their sticker price, but Id still lose a couple hundred buying my 1911 there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]
budsgunshop.com

I've found it to be the holy grail of online discount gun buying...

My plastic begins to sizzle every time I click on that website.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my 1911 online. None of the local shops had what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
budsgunshop.com

I've found it to be the holy grail of online discount gun buying...

My plastic begins to sizzle every time I click on that website.

I was looking there earlier but they dont have the railed smith and wesson model I was looking for.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
This is just a thought... You might want to go to one of the other stores with a limited selection.  talk to them about what you wish to buy, they should be able to order one for you from the wholesalers.  It might even be in the range you are hoping to get.  

Aim straight and have fun
Jon
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I ended up ordering from budsgunshop...as they were the only one with the gun in stock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have orderd 2 1911s from online dealers.  Both turned out great.  I also have done business with BUDs and other than them being a little slow to ship (7 days), thay are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:02:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered my SA Champion Loaded LW from Bud's and am very happy with it. Bud's is slow to ship but they do keep you updated via automated emails through the process. I ordered and paid by credit card (3% added to order) and had my FFL faxed to them the same day. I still had to wait two weeks before the gun arrived. I don't understand why it should possibly take that long but for the money I saved I can live with it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#16]
thats what I was wondering...how can it take 7 days to ship a gun...

Oh well, they were the only dealer with the gun in stock and when I called onpointfirearms they just have a voicemail, I like to do business with people I can speak to.

I called all the online dealers listed here and then some on glocktalk, but no one had the railed version.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top