Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 6:16:36 AM EDT
Alrighty,
I'm starting to forumlate  my 10mm buildup.  I was told on several sites to make sure I do my "research" when having a Delta worked on, since not all 1911 smiths are necessarily 10mm "experts".  Any suggestions as to who to do it (if and when I do it)?  Here's my list of 'smiths that I know will build a good 10mm....

YoBo...of course.
John Harrison
Dave Sams
George Smith (EGW)
Jim Garthwaite
Randy Adams

Any others you'd recommend?  Any "sleepers" (you know, less well known, but will build a hell of a 10mm) out there?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:25:29 AM EDT
[#1]
You just mentioned a handfull, and I can think of a couple dozen more, but none are "sleepers" as you put it.  Any of the big names in 1911 smithing will do a great job on a Delta, as they all have the requisite knowledge to work on pretty much any 1911 in any caliber out there.  You just need to pick one that fits your criteria.  

Though I've never handled a Yost outside his earlier Gunsite days, if I were in the market and I wanted it done in a reasonable amount of time, that's where I would send it, as I see guns being done all the time in less than a year.  I guess is you have that many talented smiths in one shop, it stands to reason that work will get done a little quicker than a one man shop.

My personal favorite smith is Chuck Rogers.  I suppose were I to have someone work on a Delta for me, that's where I would really want to send it in an ideal world.  However, I imgaine that all the big name smiths are very backlogged.  Best of luck sir.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Doug Jones is another good smith in Michigan, that doesn't get a lot of publicity.  He does nice work and I know he's done a couple of 10mm's.  He used to be, and might still be, the smith of choice for one of the big IPSC guys, but I don't remember who it was.  

He built an STI 2011 in 10mm for a guy I used to shoot with.  It was amazing and ran like a champ.  

I would guess his backlog won't be nearly as long as the others that get so much recognition on the web.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess my criteria would be "simple".  I don't like a whole lot of bells and whistles.  Heck I don't normally like beavertails (but I'd make an exception for the harder kicking 10mm).  I was thinking, mild dehorn, hi grip (serrations or checkering not necessary), trigger/reliability, sights (YoBo pro grade), and maybe a Kart or BarSto ramped (ie supported) barrel.  I was thinking of some sort of Guncote over parkerizing, but I've been very intrigued by George Smith's Etreat.

R
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Don Williams at The Action Works.  He's built a few 10mm's, does excellent work and is extremely friendly and easy to deal with.  If you look through the custom pistols section at louderthanwords you can find pics of at least one Delta he's done.  YoBo is also an excellent choice.  I have no experience with any other 'smiths who are still working, but I'm sure there are others who would do excellent work on a 10mm for you.

And unless you are going to experiment with REALLY hot handloads, I wouldn't waste the money putting in a ramped barrel.  The 10mm has a very strong case, and chamber support is rarely an issue from what I understand.  That would be something to discuss with whatever 'smith you decide to use, of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top