Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:33:04 PM EDT
about the only company i'm aware of that still makes 7" longslide .45acp is AMT.
i read that some company is manufacturing complete slide assemblies. This with a .22 conversion kit and you're ready for the range!
i did a search and couldn't find any information here. .i think they're really cool

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/3713/longslide10pq.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9219/longslide8if.jpg
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:59:02 AM EDT
Didn't know AMT was still in business. I haven't heard very much in way of good things about their 1911's. Personally, I'd go for a SA long-slide if I wanted one, even though I know that's not a 7-inch. I have seen long-slide LAR Grizzy pistols before, longer than 7 inches, even.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:58:19 AM EDT
SA and Caspian make 6"
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:17:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bob1984:
Didn't know AMT was still in business. I haven't heard very much in way of good things about their 1911's. Personally, I'd go for a SA long-slide if I wanted one, even though I know that's not a 7-inch. I have seen long-slide LAR Grizzy pistols before, longer than 7 inches, even.

it's not clear to me if they really ARE still in buisness. . . i would like to have a 7" longslide as an accessory along with the .22 coversion kit.
and yeah, the LAR Grizzly's were pretty cool as well.. i wanted a 10mm or .45 Win Mag for a while.
and i've always wanted to shoot that .30 carbine AMT pistol i think it was called the 'Auto-Mag', i guess it's supposed to be pretty loud and have a nice fireball from all the unburned powder
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:42:01 PM EDT
They are not in business. Also, they are perhaps the worst 1911s I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:57:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
They are not in business. Also, they are perhaps the worst 1911s I've ever seen.

Worse than Auto Ordnance, even ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:09:09 PM EDT
Yes, worse than AO. I've had nothing but horrible expereinces with them. All I've seen are out of spec in so many areas, I won't even try to address that. The one thing that amazed me most on the last one I worked on was the extractor. The gun would not feed for a variety of reasons. One thing right off the bat was it had very weak extractor tension. I pulled the extractor and for whatever reason, decided to bend on it with my bare hands before putting it in a vise. It broke in two like it was a stick of play-doh.

This particular gun belongs to a friend. It had so many things wrong with it, and I have more hours into this gun than any I've ever touched. It still is not right with regards to barrel fit, but I refuse to give up on it. I hate this gun!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:31:40 PM EDT
My buddy has one of the AMT longslides and to tell you the truth, that 7" makes for one smooth shooting pistol. Completely reliable too. Some are good, some aren't.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 11:14:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By hobbs5624:
Yes, worse than AO. I've had nothing but horrible expereinces with them. All I've seen are out of spec in so many areas, I won't even try to address that. The one thing that amazed me most on the last one I worked on was the extractor. The gun would not feed for a variety of reasons. One thing right off the bat was it had very weak extractor tension. I pulled the extractor and for whatever reason, decided to bend on it with my bare hands before putting it in a vise. It broke in two like it was a stick of play-doh.

This particular gun belongs to a friend. It had so many things wrong with it, and I have more hours into this gun than any I've ever touched. It still is not right with regards to barrel fit, but I refuse to give up on it. I hate this gun!

img240.imageshack.us/img240/7469/gunpics01828xu.jpg

Well, the frame is workable at least, right ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:17:22 AM EDT
I know SA makes a long slide but I don't know if it's 7 inches or not. Hey it's not the size but how you use it right!!!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:56:47 PM EDT
i thought i'd gotten outta the 1911 scene, but it's addicting!
For my serious .45acp i have a H&K USP, but for range and targets i would like to have a longslide and .22 conversion kit.

and as for AMT quality, they're probably better than Llama Max 1's . . lol
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:52:40 PM EDT
Bob1984, actually, the frame is worse than the slide, at least on this one. The sear spring cutout in the frame is too low, which means the sear spring does not want to contact the sear and disconnector. That can be a problem, and they don't excatly make extra long sear springs. Also, the sear and hammer hole are not parallel, nor perpendicular to the frame. There are some other minor issues, but this gun, aslong with every other AMT I've seen, is a nightmare.

As for Springfields longslide, it's a 6". That's an excellent gun. I'm sorry if I took this thread off on a tangent. I'm sure there are probably decent AMTs out there, but I've never seen one. Then again, I've only had them brought to me because they did not work, and that hardly means they are all bad. I have yet to see such atrocious quality in any 1911 though, even Llamas.
Top Top