Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/18/2006 9:53:08 PM EDT
it does warm the heart that 1911 gun smiths have such a back log. Shows the demand for such a great product.

With that said, i am still awaiting for some emails to come back from some of the gunsmiths I have contacted. (the bolded below I have talked to)

i have contacted YoBo, Gemini, Heinie, Novak, Tripp

I am looking for some cosmetic work, MSH serrations, front strap serrations, slide flattening/serrations, and front cocking serrations.

Like i said, most of it is cosmetic, but I would like the front cocking serrations over all of it.

Would anyone recommend in strong faith and personal experience any other smiths?

I am heading to tiger valley for their advanced gun course in april, and was planning on taking the 1911. So time is sort of an issue, but not really, the gun is good to go as is.

Any advice and suggestions is appreciated
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:48:28 AM EDT
I use Don Williams at the Action Works, member of LTW, nice guy and great work. JD
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jackd1:
I use Don Williams at the Action Works, member of LTW, nice guy and great work. JD

hey bud, I emailed the address that was supplied on his sight. But it came back as undeliverable? Could you IM his email if you know a good one?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:44:40 AM EDT
All of the smiths you mentioned are at the top of their fields and in high demand. I'd just pick up the phone and call them, you will ge a faster response. I have talked to several of the shops, and all were very friendly and helpful.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:41:30 PM EDT
Yost-Bonitz
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By chromeluv:

hey bud, I emailed the address that was supplied on his sight. But it came back as undeliverable? Could you IM his email if you know a good one?

I have always used the one on his web site and had no problems. Maybe his ISP is down or their mail server is having problems. Might try again. Don't have a different email. Sorry, just try him again. JD
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:49 AM EDT

Don has done 4 custom jobs for me and I can recommend he and his work very highly. He is honest, will do whatever you want and will give you his honest opinion. Time wise I am not sure how long/short he is completing jobs at this time.

Chuck Rogers aka "pistolwrench" is also very good, but you need to check out his time line at his website also.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:07:37 AM EDT
I have a few guns waiting at YoBo, and I am on the waiting list with a couple of the other well known guys. Bob Rodgers(the other rogers as some have called him) came highly recomended from a couple of guys at LTW. it has been about a 6 month wait and he recently sent me an e-mail telling me to be ready to ship my pistol in a couple of weeks. he is doing most of the cosmetic work you are looking at as well as replacing all of the MIM, the sights and a new barrel. he has been very easy to deal with. it should take less than 6 months to get the pistol back once I have shipped it.
www.rodgerspistolsmithing.com

dave berryhill is working on a couple of projects for me right now, as well. they've been a bit delayed, due to suppliers, he moved and few other issues, but he has kept in contact with me and I am pleased with the service to this point. i don't know his current backlog
http://www.berryhillguns.com/

you might want to post your needs on www.louderthanwords.us it is a group supported by a group of great smiths. maybe one will get back to you about taking on your project

have fun
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/26/2006 12:42:03 PM EDT by deltaopwong]
I can vouch for Bob Rodgers excellent pistolsmithing skills. I've had Bob do 2 full custom builds the last year. A Springfield Operator (complete overhaul) and a ORM Colt 1991 just below it on Bob's Gallery Page 2. Maybe the next year or so when funds permit and depending on Bob's work load, I think I will be getting a overhaul on a Kimber Warrior or SA MC Operator or complete build on a SA MilSpec with a Dawson or new Novak rail. If you have any questions concerning work done on my 1911s, email me..Stan
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:21:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 6:09:45 PM EDT by biga_mn]
I'm with you delta. Bob is going to overhaul my SA MC Operator. YoBo has my warrior(and my caspian 10mm build and my clackamas kimber classic custom for a complete rebuild. oh and my grandpas's colt that he wanted turned into a beast of a blaster.) We just have to get these smiths to offer priority to return customers. after re-reading this e-mail it is better to be placed at the back of the list, couldn't afford to hovering around the top. Of course Bob has the greatest scam going. My simple operator project has blown up into almost a full blown custom rebuild. we were just going to replace the mim parts and sights. now he replacing the barrel, adding a magwell, scallopping the frontstrap and MSH, serrating the slide--top and rear and re crowning the barrel. He sent me an e-mail telling me to be ready to ship my gun and sent me an estimate. of course I've had alot of time to think about it and see his work on other peoples gun, so the additions just started rolling in. he redirected me on a few but he landed me hook line and sinker---this is not a complaint and i don't hink he is scamming me--just thought i'd clarify. but it is dangerous(to the customer) to give somebody a few weeks to think about their gun before they actually send it in. oh well, my name is anthony and I am a custom 1911 addict.

ps. i hope my life insurance is paid up, if all of these pistols ship at the same time my wife is going to kill me.

pps. chrome I re-read your post. you need to call the smiths you are interested in using. I was told by a few people that it would take months to get chuck rogers to do his golfball treatment on one of my guns. I called him and he told me that he was getting ready to do a batch and if my pistol was there in 2 days it would be included in the current batch with a much shorter turn around time. It is my understanding(could be wrong) that some smiths do their machining work in batches. call a few and you might get lucky and be included in their next/current cycle
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:25:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By biga_mn:
I'm with you delta. Bob is going to overhaul my SA MC Operator. YoBo has my warrior(and my caspian 10mm build and my clackamas kimber classic custom for a complete rebuild. oh and my grandpas's colt that he wanted turned into a beast of a blaster.) We just have to get these smiths to offer priority to return customers. after re-reading this e-mail it is better to be placed at the back of the list, couldn't afford to hovering around the top. Of course Bob has the greatest scam going. My simple operator project has blown up into almost a full blown custom rebuild. we were just going to replace the mim parts and sights. now he replacing the barrel, adding a magwell, scallopping the frontstrap and MSH, serrating the slide--top and rear and re crowning the barrel. He sent me an e-mail telling me to be ready to ship my gun and sent me an estimate. of course I've had alot of time to think about it and see his work on other peoples gun, so the additions just started rolling in. he redirected me on a few but he landed me hook line and sinker---this is not a complaint and i don't hink he is scamming me--just thought i'd clarify. but it is dangerous(to the customer) to give somebody a few weeks to think about their gun before they actually send it in. oh well, my name is anthony and I am a custom 1911 addict.

ps. i hope my life insurance is paid up, if all of these pistols ship at the same time my wife is going to kill me.

pps. chrome I re-read your post. you need to call the smiths you are interested in using. I was told by a few people that it would take months to get chuck rogers to do his scallop treatment on one of my guns. I called him and he told me that he was getting ready to do a batch and if my pistol was there in 2 days it would be included in the current batch with a much shorter turn around time. It is my understanding(could be wrong) that some smiths do their machining work in batches. call a few and you might get lucky and be included in their next/current cycle

you better take work off so you can be there for the UPS/Fedex man. You do not want your wife opening those packages :)

I actually got ahold of Virgil today, he said he will be able to take care of me no problem..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:26:42 AM EDT
The only 'smith I trust my guns with is John Jardine www.jardinescustom.com. Unfortunately, he has the same backlog as everyone else....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/24/2006 3:54:34 PM EDT by deltaopwong]

Originally Posted By biga_mn:

I think most of the time when we send guns in to a smith, we end up having more done on our guns than what we have originally wanted. Simply because since it's there already, might as well have it done before regretting it or having to send it back again which costs another 100 dollars roundtrip. When I had originally sent my Operator to Bob, I just wanted a reliability job, EGW bushing, barrel crowning, wolff springs throughout, and replaced all the fire control components with tool steel units. When I had received the gun back and knew that the gun was mechanically good to go. But after studying the rest of the gun (slightly bowed factory plunger tube, very small chip in the BT which I had noticed before sending to Bob), I then decided to send it back to Bob for the full makeover which entailed the following:

FIRST TRIP:
Reliability Package (trigger pull set at 4.0lbs)
fit and tune Ed Brown hardcore extractor and fit/tune factory unit as a spare
fit EGW match bushing
target crown factory barrel
replaced FLGR with an Ed Brown GI unit
replace rear Novak with higher unit (to offset the gun shooting 6-8 inches low from the factory)
C&S Tactical I fire control components
Wilson hammer strut and hammer strut pin
Ed Brown hardcore slide stop
Ed Brown hardcore firing pin stop
Ed Brown steel firing pin
Wolff springs throughout

SECOND TRIP:
replaced factory plunger tube with Caspian unit
frame tangs welded up and a Ed Brown unit fitted
replaced factory ambi with a Ed Brown single-sided tactical unit (fitted and re-contoured)
Ed Brown tactical extended mag release
high cut underneath the triggerguard and vertical frontstrap serrations
S&A magwell opened up and blended to the factory magwell
reset trigger pull to 3.75lbs
complete dehorn and refinish in Enviro-tech

...the only thing factory ORIGINAL on the gun is the frame, slide, barrel (shoots just under 1.5inches at 25yrds.), front nite site, extended ejector and trigger. Everything else has been replaced! This gun points really well with just a little extra weight on the front dust cover and no FLGR to add too much weight on the muzzle. Quick follow-up shots are amazing, says Bob as I haven't shot it since it's homecoming..

I am glad that I send it back the second time around or I would have most likely sold it for a very heavy loss. That gun looks incredible now!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:58:22 PM EDT
delta

that is half the fun of 1911s. they are never right the first time, or the second time or the third time--you get the point. My wife won't let me buy a 1969 camaro to screw around with, but she doesn't seem to care about the guns as long as all of the other household responsiblities are covered. I knew i was in trouble the first time I shot my SA professional model. no other factory gun was going to do it. Now I just buy components with the intention of having them built into something great. who cares about the wait-most of the smiths don't require a down payment so they can just keep the pieces until they are ready to transform them. I call john jardine on the same day every year to check on the status of my three valtros. we made a deal a year ago--I wouldn't have unrealistic expectations and he wouldn't make false promises. I locked in the price and just call once a year(at his request) to make sure he is still alive and to confirm that I still want the guns
Top Top