Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2006 7:47:10 PM EDT
new to 1911, wondering what are the thoughts on buying a 1911 in 9mm??

my first thought was cheaper ammo while getting the 1911 feel, but then I thought maybe I should stay with the "true" 1911 by staying with the 45....

I'm looking at SAs' loaded models, price of the gun is about the same in 9 or .45... so that's not a big factor..
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why buy a full size truck with a 4cyl engine?

yeh, I know, but the 4 cyl engine gets more MPG (or round per dollar spend)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Two words: Slide velocity.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#4]
9mm 1911?  You're so close to right but not quite there.  Add 1 more mm and you have got something. 10mm is hot!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Or 9x23.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
new to 1911, wondering what are the thoughts on buying a 1911 in 9mm??

my first thought was cheaper ammo while getting the 1911 feel, but then I thought maybe I should stay with the "true" 1911 by staying with the 45....

I'm looking at SAs' loaded models, price of the gun is about the same in 9 or .45... so that's not a big factor..

I've got two 1911's chambered for in 9mm.  Both are good guns and are very pleasant to shoot.  But you'll have to ask yourself how much you'll actually be saving in ammo costs if cheap shooting is your only concern.  If you'll actually be shooting several thousand rounds a year the cost savings will add up.  Otherwise, stick with .45 ACP.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:34:28 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Two words: Slide velocity.

What does this mean?  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've got two 1911's chambered for in 9mm.  Both are good guns and are very pleasant to shoot.  .... Otherwise, stick with .45 ACP.

Not to come across of being rude, but why do you have 2 9mm 1911?  

I shoot about 4000rnd of 9mm per year, and because of the cost of 45, I shot the 1911 much less..   So from the math point of view, if I switched from 45 to 9, saving about $9 per 100, or $90 per thousand , $360 per year, in 2-3 years I could pay for the 9mm 1911.

Then not everything in life is about saving money...

*** and to rephrase my original question:

is there function/ reliability issue with a 9/1911.. someone mentioned "slide velocity"
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not to come across of being rude, but why do you have 2 9mm 1911?  

I shoot about 4000rnd of 9mm per year, and because of the cost of 45, I shot the 1911 much less..   So from the math point of view, if I switched from 45 to 9, saving about $9 per 100, or $90 per thousand , $360 per year, in 2-3 years I could pay for the 9mm 1911.

Then not everything in life is about saving money...

*** and to rephrase my original question:

is there function/ reliability issue with a 9/1911.. someone mentioned "slide velocity"

I have two 9mm's because I can.  One is a cheapo Rock Island that started out as a .38 Super and the other is a Kimber Target II that has been reworked and tuned by a gunsmith.  I shoot the RIA gun all the time because it runs perfectly, is very accurate.  Plus it was cheap so I'm not afraid to beat the crap out of it.

Both guns shoot great and run perfectly with the "Springfield" magazines from Metalform.  These magazines have the spacer in the front of the mag rather than in the back.  The spacer is shaped into a little feed ramp at the front of the magazine to improve feed reliability.  I've found that with other brands/styles of magazines, the guns may feed ball fine but will generally choke on hollowpoints.  But with the "Springfield" magazines both guns will feed hollowpoints just fine.

If you like the idea of a 1911 in 9mm, by all means buy one.  I enjoy shooting mine and use them regularly for IDPA and USPSA.  Hopefully soon we'll see some 10-rounders on the market.  Nine rounds of minor has no advantage over 8 rounds of major.  But that's a different matter...

As far as "slide velocity," I have no idea what the previous postor is referring to.  I run both my 9's with 14 pound recoil springs and the fired cases land about 4-5 feet away from me.  I did shoot some 9x23 through the RIA when it was still a Super and replaced the lighter spring with an 18-1/2 pound spring to compensate for the greater energy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Slide Velocity - what I think he is saying (and I don't have any facts or numbers) is that with a 9mm the slide is moving backward and forward with less velocity - ie less force. Again no data.

What I can say, I too have been thinking about a 9mm single stack.  However I am looking at it from a competitive standpoint - easier on the wrist joints, stupidly fast followups, no recoil (figuratively speaking) and ammo so cheap that it makes more sense to just purchase it as opposed to reload it.

Good luck
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Slide Velocity - what I think he is saying (and I don't have any facts or numbers) is that with a 9mm the slide is moving backward and forward with less velocity - ie less force. Again no data.

What I can say, I too have been thinking about a 9mm single stack.  However I am looking at it from a competitive standpoint - easier on the wrist joints, stupidly fast followups, no recoil (figuratively speaking) and ammo so cheap that it makes more sense to just purchase it as opposed to reload it.

Good luck

Depending on which sport you run in, the major/minor issue is a killer.  I'm running a 9mm right now in Single Stack and L-10 and find that I have a very hard time keeping up with shooters of my same ability.  A smokin' fast run with a gun scoring major will almost always beat a smokin' fast run scoring minor.  There might be a happy medium between speed and "A" hits but I haven't found it yet.  I think it was Matt Burkett who tried to compete in Limited with a 9mm a few years back and gave it up for the scoring reasons.

If and when I can get some reliable 10-rounders, things might change.  With the higher capacity, I should never have to reload from slide lock.  It'll also make things that much faster on a steel course.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are brand new to 1911's, I'd say get a fulsize 1911 in 45acp. If nothign else working mags are easier  to find.

Down the line if you want to try out a 9mm 1911, go for it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#13]
9mm 1911s are pretty popular in IDPA.  IDPA doesn't have the major/minor distinction.  You just have to make the power floor or whatever they call it.  9mm 1911s shoot in ESP rather than CDP, where the .45s are.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top